“Didn't want to check out, could live there for the rest of my life.”

Gajapuri Resort & Spa
Ranked #5 of 73 Hotels in Ko Chang
Reviewed October 30, 2013

Gajapuri is perfectly designed and decorated both indoors and outdoors. Cottage style, detached private cabins are very relaxing and sexy. It is tropics contemporary style with modern twists. Perfect to spend some alone time or make memories with someone special. Peaceful is the word that keeps coming to my mind thinking back and it certainly brings a smile to my face. Rejuvenating freshness of nature and comfort of sufficient luxury in a perfect balance. That being said there are many other beaches on the island with better sand quality than the hotel beach yet I did not find any better hotel. Rent a scooters at the shop next door and visit all other beaches. Especially "lonely beach" is perfect for swimming and drinks after dinner. Ride slowly, many hills. The main town shore is good for having dinner on the beach restaurants. If you prefer to stay local, there are few convenience stores, bars and restaurants near the hotel, they are good, you will be okay. You are not isolated yet the are is not overcrowded by shops to ruin that special, virgin, rural feel of the island. In the morning, quite a decent "complimentary" breakfast served at there is an À la carte restaurant in the hotel. I heard the food is good. Small and busy reception desk were very helpful supplying me with maps, giving directions and offering suggestions. They can arrange excursions such as elephant ride and snorkel/boat trip for you. Boat tour was amazing. I purchased my ticket at the ferry terminal to take advantage of the ferry ticket combination discount. It is the exact same tour they offer at the hotel so I highly recommend. I will probably stay at this hotel again.

Room Tip: Rent a scooters at the shop next door and visit all other beaches. Especially "lonely beach&quo...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
There are newer reviews for Gajapuri Resort & Spa

Reviewed October 22, 2013

Going to Thailand was our first trip to Asia. We prepared for months and carefully selected our hotel. I was very satisfied with Gajapuri. The only thing the entire time that was not excellent was the ride back to Bangkok. We got to Koh Chang by public transport and then arranged transport back to Bangkok through the hotel and it was awful. It took longer than public transport because we were with some Russians that ended up in the wrong hotel and we had to wait for hours before they would take us to our hotel. And of course that transportation cost way more than public... Other than that- amazing. I loved the sunset, the free kayaks, the pool, the location, the front desk staff, the room, the excursions. I think we tried almost every excursion and everyone on the island was very nice. The staff told us to come back each night to arrange the next day's trip so we wouldn't arrange too many things in the beginning and then be tired and not want to do something. We did 2 snorkeling options, the tree top adventure, jungle trek, elephant ride... I'm writing this 6 months later and it's clear as day because it was so memorable. We met some people that were staying in a hotel on the other side of the street and so we saw their room and the hotel and it's obvious that there are a wide range of accommodations available in Koh Chang depending on the money one wants to spend. I think this was a great value for the price and I'd recommend it. The only reason we ate at the restaurant on-site was if we wanted to see the sunset. Otherwise, it's a little overpriced (in my opinion) compared to what's available in a 2 minute walk. I didn't try the massages there because there are so many places on the street outside the hotel. I wish I could be sitting in the hammock on the beach right now :)

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 16, 2013

Gajapuri Resort and Spa is the perfect escape - right on the beach in one of the nicest and less hectic areas of Koh Chang, with amazing staff and service. The guest houses (ours, #212, was literally steps from the beach and pool) are beautiful. The staff is friendly, helpful and any request is usually met as quickly as possible. The Thai massage offered on the beach is wonderful and definitely something to take advantage of. The restaurant has great food and the breakfasts are great and varied with both Thai and Western options. The grounds are beautiful and you will not want to leave - try to allow more than one night here, it's worth it!

Room Tip: The guesthouses nearer to the beach and pool and wonderful.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 8, 2013

We spent five days at the Gajapuri Resort in one of the beach front villas. The villas close to the sea are pleasant and noise impact from the neighbouthood was moderate. Rooms were clean and in a good shape. Some construction/ renovation was going on in the ressort, but not starting too early in the morning (they use low season for renovation of course so there was also some ranovation of the kitchen going on).
Food in the restaurant was well prepared and tasty; very friendly service. Since the main street is not too far away (2 minutes walk) you have a lot of options if you look for alternatives. Staff was very polite, attentive and customer friendly. Overall good value for the price.

Room Tip: Go for sea front - the view is great.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank meduc11
Reviewed September 16, 2013

I liked the ambiance and wanted a quiet 4 day holiday. It was unfortunate that there was construction of a new resort going on next door which was quite noisy due to trucks and workers. I asked to be relocated away from the construction and was moved the next day. Although the beach was rocky and rough, there were lounge chairs on the grass lawn overlooking the beach which was nice, however, I preferred the pool area. The downside was the unfinished 'bar restaurant' by the pool, but I did have lunch at the restaurant overlooking the beach. The best part of my stay was having the traditional Thai massage with Nok every day. It was pricey but she is incredible and knowledgeable...well worth the cost. The jacuzzis are large but there isn't a large water tank with hot water, so, using the jacuzzi is not advisable unless you like cold water.

Room Tip: Rooms near reception building.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank smseto
Reviewed September 10, 2013 via mobile

This was my really first visit to Trad Province and also Koh Chang. I and my boyfriend's planing to stay somewhere peacefully, and relaxed for his special occasion. We made a right choice! We really enjoyed our stay here. The resort itself has a perfect location, private beach, spectacular view, and great breakfast especially wide selection of egg and skillful chef. The best part of the room is that the magical Ipod Station! love it! However, there's a thing I'd like to catch the resort an attention. I called the resort a week before the stay around noon time, to discus what they can do something surprised for my BF's birthday; the period of our stay were several days earlier than his actual DOB. The reservation manager suddenly replied me that they normally arrange a birthday cake only for guest who exactly has DOB as same as the period of stay. I was a bit surprised that the award winning resort would turn out this way. They could have done something impressive, memorable, and exceptional stay.Therefore, I asked for the price then. She said she need to double check the price and will get me back after break because "I'm on a lunch break" OMG!! I felt like I shouldn't have called because I was now interrupting her enjoyable lunch! Then, Why would you give customers a mobile phone number and then excuse the delay information with that reason?!? After that, I got the email confirming the charge of THB 300 for the cake. Done! I think I'm done. If this really what they can do for us, I was fine bringing a better one from BKK even it would no longer surprise to my BF no matter what. After the complaint I sent the email back to her, she changed her mind giving me a complimentary cake instead. Now I no longer needed it. A person like me never complain for a compensation!. I don't need thing from who doesn't really want to give it at the very beginning. Once we arrived the resort, there're many well-briefing staffs came ask me about the cake. Unfortunately, I already brought one from my favorite bakery in BKK. The only good thing for staff service here is that Even I kept refusing their offers, they finally provided the cake for us at the first night of our stay anyway. The end of the trip, we need to bring my cake back to where it came from just because we had no room's available for the cake!! Because throughout the stay, we enjoyed too many seafood here in Koh Chang :P

• Stayed: September 2013
gmhans, General Manager at Gajapuri Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded September 15, 2013

Dear guest
We are very please indeed that you enjoyed your stay at GajaPuri Resort & Spa altough the unnecessary and unfortunate incident with the birthday cake.
Please accept my sincere appologies and also the regrets of our Reservation Manager.

Every resort and hotel has its rules and regulations for their employees to follow up. GajaPuri's for example are, just to mention some, to be friendly and helpful towards guests, stand still while they passing and greet them with a "Wai", keep guests room clean and tidy and follow the standards, provide a birthday cake or caramel custard once they celebrate aniversary during their stay and so on.
To show flexibility within these rules and regulations is not common and not always appreciated (for example if it comes to clealiness) and in cases of yours to ask for advise before making a decision is a long term goal.
However, your comment is for us a important feedback and helps us to improve our services, in adapting, that flexibility in some terms can improve guests happiness with little effort.

It would be with pleasure welcoming you and your friend again at GajaPuri Resort & Spa Koh Chang.

With my best regards
Hansjoerg Jenny

Reviewed September 3, 2013

I have stayed here twice in the past two years. It is a wonderful resort with friendly staff.

The rooms are well maintained and have good facilities, although on the second visit, the room had a much smaller entertainment system with a DVD player that did not work.

The pool is nice, and the bar food / room service is good.

The beach is only small but there are plenty of places to relax.

An excellent choice on a wonderful island.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple