“Nice”

Gajapuri Resort & Spa
Ranked #5 of 73 Hotels in Ko Chang
Reviewed July 1, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for 4 nights. Nicely built spacious room and bathroom, but the room and the bed smell very moist.
Due to comstraction works we got 1200bht credit to use at the kitchen and the bar, which was totally worth it, as the constraction works were distant and didnt cause us any inconvinience.
Big downside is that the beach is not swimable - a lot of big rocks, unless you walk a few hundred metres along the beach to the right - there is a section without rocks
Nice buffet breakfast - the food was kept in a separate room that was slightly refrigirated and no flies.
All in all it was good, but i was to visit Koh Chang again, i would try a different hotel

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank Noworriesdimi
There are newer reviews for Gajapuri Resort & Spa

Reviewed June 2, 2013

We visited here first in 2011, and were lucky to be just past the rains and before the high season.
We returned 2012, against our habit of visiting the same place twice - but after comparing a lot of other possibilities anything else just didn't match up...

Resort is very well set-up with scattered bungalows between lush green- very different to the average concrete hotel blocks you see in general.
It gives the impression of a garden where here and there some bungalows accidently landed - well done, because it looks that they are wider spaced then they are in reality.
Secluded and tranquile are words coming to mind - but maybe also because during this first visit it was not fully booked.
I hope Gajapuri does not fall for the temptation to put more buildings on the premises - that would destroy its main asset. The new restaurant on the beach in 2012 is nice.. but if you are further back on the sun chairs already you lose the feeling of being on a nature beach a bit.

Nevertheless we were looking for a holiday to relax and restore energy, and I've never found a better place for that until now.
Nice thing is, when you feel things are to quiet at a moment - just step out of the gates and there is a busy road with lots of shops, restaurants and bars.
The bungalows are very nice and private, beds are great, bathroom large with bath and shower, the shower devices itself might need some attention/maintenance (2012) due to wear but that is a miniscule point.
We've had a superior bungalow further to the street and at the pool area, both are equally good, no specific down- or upsides.
Don't expect a wide sandy beach, and there are lots of rocks/coral in the water- and fish to watch. Watch our for your feet, altough if you choose your spot its no problem to get into the sea.
If you prefer to stay in the shades under the trees and on lawn to getting sand everywhere like me its very nice.

Although its clear that the staff has a lot of work to do, they are very attentive, and there does not seem to be too much change - a good sign for a well run business.
The manager is very active in ensuring things are smooth- not much escapes him and his staff.
A word to Nok, the spa therapist. I've met many good massage therapists and its possible to train to become one. But then there are people like her that are gifted, and they are rare.
Just watch our on the road :)

Food in the restaurant is good, but somewhat adapted to 'mainstream tourist taste' so we preferred to go outside - but a late night visit to the new restaurant with its view is worth something too- and great cocktails :)
Breakfast is ok - it tries to adapt to every taste (US, British, continental and asian) so there is something for everyone, but if you limit yourself to only 'style', choices might look a bit limited if you are there longer. For me its totally fine while enjoying a great view.

Would I come back? Yes, anytime and for so long that I need a holiday to de-stress, there it has the maximum score for me.
If your want an active holiday, I'd suggest maybe not to stay too long but still worth a visit.

Room Tip: Bungalows are fairly equal in aspects - no need to avoid bungalows closer to the street. Sea view bu...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank trippsz
Reviewed May 16, 2013

My husband and I returned to the Gajapuri in December 2012, having first stayed there in 2009 (please see my username for my previous review - which was really glowing!). We loved this place in 2009, and so we chose to stay here specifically for the last 3 nights of our holiday as we knew it would be quiet & super relaxing before the long flight back to the UK.

Quite a lot has changed at the Gajapuri since our last visit!

In 2009 they had the lovely touch of complimentary mini bar. Small thing, but we really appreciated it as the Gajapuri is not an inexpensive resort, especially for Thailand. They no longer offer this :(

They have moved the breakfast area from the ground floor to the upstairs of the building near reception to enable them to put in extra rooms at the bottom. These rooms are not individual bungalows and I am not sure what category they fall into. It looks a bit odd. The old breakfast room downstairs had beautifully laid tables and I remember there being a lovely selection of food and it being very classy. The new breakfast room is much more basic and the selection of food not terribly extensive. Okay, but not great.

The Gajapuri benefits from having lovely gardens and this is great because as others have mentioned the beach is quite rocky in this part of Kai Bae. There are plenty of big comfy loungers and towels. This aspect is great.

The pool area looked a bit of a mess on this visit (the deck in particular needs maintenance and re-staining). When we were here before the restaurant was on the deck next to the pool area, but they have now constructed a new restaurant just forward of this closer to the beach. However, the old restaurant/cafe building remains, looking very neglected, and the kitchen is still where it was, so if you choose to sit by the pool during the day there is a constant stream of staff coming past you from the kitchen to & from the new restaurant. It doesn't quite work.

The main issue came on our 2nd day - we were relaxing by the pool in the afternoon (which was directly opposite our villa) when the sound of industrial sawing & banging started up. They were working on a set of steps between the pool deck and the new restaurant. After about an hour (my husband had a terrible headache and had to leave the resort!) I contacted the General Manager and explained that this was really bothering us and as our room deck was directly opposite the site it was hard to escape. He replied saying that they had to do the work because it was a safety issue and that another half day of work was needed (the following day!) to complete it. We were offered a complimentary Thai set dinner for two at the restaurant.

I replied saying that I wasn't happy as this was the last 2 days of our holiday and it isn't appropriate to do work with this level of noise at such a small intimate resort, next to the pool, in high season, in the middle of the day. I said that we were returning guests and so were expecting the quiet & relaxing experience we had the last time we visited. He replied and said he would instruct them not to finish the work.

The next day, despite being assured that it wouldn't, the sawing and banging started up again (!) so my husband contacted the GM again. I was by the pool. The GM came down to the pool area and got very agitated and shouted at the foreman in charge of the work and made them stop. I was just a few metres away and felt it was inappropriate for him to do this in front of guests. The GM in the end agreed (my husband requested this) to refund the cost of 1x night of our stay.

We were only staying for 3 nights and having to go backwards and forwards to the GM to resolve this definitely had an effect on our short stay.

The positives:
- The individual bungalow rooms are still lovely
- The bed is by far the most comfortable we have ever slept on in Thailand!!!
- The DVD library is great
- The staff are lovely
- The rooms are spacious with a great ceiling fan so you don't necessarily need aircon at night
- Good location in central Kai Bae
- Small resort
- Nice gardens & landscaping

Sadly, I just don't think we would stay at The Gajapuri again. We feel that prices are quite high and some compromises have been made in terms of small touches, breakfast quality & overall service.

Room Tip: For more privacy the rooms towards the back of the resort are better (nearer reception).
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank missjensa
gmhans, General Manager at Gajapuri Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded May 22, 2013

Dear Guest
Kindly accept again my sincere appologies for the inconvenience caused.
After receiving your complaint I indeed promised to stop the work for the coming day and informed Engineering Department accordingly. The next day the staff continued with the work out of whatsoever reason, which was causing another complaint as you thought that I broke my promise. Of course I got angry with the employees for disregarding my order and told them quite harsh to stop immediately.
That you are now blaming me for an inappropriate behavior sounds strange to me. Please believe me that after almost 9 years in Thailand I respect my employees and I know what they can bear. They have always my support and they always support me, but in this case they knew exactly that my anger was caused by wrongdoing.
Our Minibar prices are very moderate and revenue is used to pay energy consumption and amortisation. To calculate free Minibar somehow with the room rate would not be fair towards guests which are not using it.
Thanks to the new location, our breakfast restaurant Matang boost with great views towards the Gulf of Siam and with a smooth brezze in the morning.
Our new Beach Restaurant was built last autumn and there was simply no time left to maintain the deck and renew the kitchen before high season. Ongoing construction would have caused too many complaints. We will finish these tasks during this low season.

Best regards
Hansjoerg Jenny

Reviewed May 16, 2013

we stayed in a nice room/ house with a double bed, large bathroom with bath and shower, took 2 travel beds for our kids wich was no problem.
Very nice resort and pool, good location to walk to shops and restaurants.
Other beaches are a lot nicer than the one by the resort though, didn't realy manage to swim in the sea, borrowd a couple of canoes one day and had a nice paddle but it was a bit hard getting back in over the rocks/ dead coral .
Read the reviews before we left and brought watershoes wich we really needed! (thanks for the tip).
All in all would probably pay more attention to the actual beach when next booking a seaside resort!
Still had a very nice stay!

Room Tip: Had the superiour (aka the cheapest) room wich was fine for us and not much more expencive than some...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed May 3, 2013

We had a second row room which was very nice and was close to the beach. Service was friendly and efficient. Breakfast was very average for Thailand and was served in a drab upstairs room that looked like a works canteen. If you read the management blurb about the breakfast it sounds wonderful but is nothing like what is really available. Limited fruit option, 2 cheeses that never varied and very cheap looking cold meat. some Asian cooked choices and the usual egg selection that was served at the table just as you were eating cereal or fruit.
The grounds were really well tended and there was plenty of space for loungers and there was a plentiful supply of towels. the downside to this was that the beach was very rocky and it was impossible to swim at low tide. It was best to walk along the beach to the next hotels.
The hotel advertised lots of satellite TV channels but we found that apart from English news channels everything else seemed to be Asian channels. This would not be a problem for a short stay but was not very good for longer stays. Overall ok for a couple of nights.

Room Tip: rooms at the front seemed bigger and were quiet.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank 711Alex
gmhans, General Manager at Gajapuri Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded May 10, 2013

Dear Guest
Many thanks for your review.

We plan indeed to update and redecorate our breakfast restaurant Matang within this year but comparing it with a Canteen is rather harsh. I personally did never see a Canteen on the second flooe with astonishing sea view and gentle breeze in the morning.
Regarding the choice we thank you for your fedback and will upgrade the variety of fruits and cheese.
However, due to the size of GajaPuri Resort & Spa (27 units) we shall do that day by day to avoid any waste of food.
For a good quality of cold cut we have chosen one of the best suppliers we could find within Thailand.
Once you order an egg dish you should feel free telling our staff if you would like to eat it after cereals and/or fruits.
The beach is an often discussed topic and it remains to repeat that the old coral reef, appearing during low tide, is given by nature and can not be changed or modified as it is part of the national maritime parc.
Mentioning our TV programs it is stated in our room directory that we offer cable TV with 60 channels in different languages like English, German, French, Dutch, Italian, Russian, Korean and of course Thai. Besides we have a DVD library with over 300 films to choose and free of charge.
I hope these explanaitions will be helpful for future guests and future reviewers.

With best regards
Hansjoerg Jenny, General Manager

Reviewed April 30, 2013

We arrived a little early and our room was ready, so we checked straight in. The rooms are thai style, dark wood with low lighting, excellent quiet aircon and a ceiling fan. The bathroom was huge with a bath and multi-function shower. The rooms/bungalows are linked by wooden walkways with lots of beautiful planting and gives the resort a 'jungle feel'. The pool was kept very clean and the sun-loungers were modern and very comfortable. The best bit is the private beach with rope swings and views to die for. Breakfast was excellent too, you can order eggs, omelettes etc from the waiting staff and then serve yourself from the buffet breakfast, which is laid out in an air-con room. I can also thoroughly recommend the massage service, it's 3 times the price of the salons on the street, but you really do get what you pay for. The resort is in an excellent location with lots of great places to eat and drink.

Room Tip: There isn't a bad setting on the resort.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Bumble36
Reviewed March 21, 2013

GajaPuri is a place for relax with natural environment with lots of trees and has its own private beach. Good food in the restaurant. Each room types has its own characteristic and private area.

With the distance not too much far from Bangkok, you can get a pure natural with both mountain and beach in Koh Chang area.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo