“No Sattva satisfaction”

Sattva Spa and Wellness Retreat
Ranked #23 of 52 Hotels in Rishikesh
Reviewed July 17, 2013

Travelling all the way from Norway we were eager to find a place that could fullfill some of our wishes for the trip. First of all we wanted a place where we could practice and learn some (more) yoga . From the reviews and the pictures Sattva spa seemed a very good choice. As we arrived we were met in an rather unfriendly way and did not feel very welcome. To our big disappointment the yoga teacher and owner Mr. Anand had gone for a motorcyckle holiday. We could use the yoga hall , but no fan and air condition, which made our yogaessions a rather sweaty affair. A room had been prepared for us, but as my wife has a bad leg, we asked for the bungalow with ground entrance. That room was not clean and when my wife found a scorpion in the bed we accepted the room that had been prepared. That room was fine and had a good view. The sheets however were not clean and when we asked for new ones, they only turned them around. When we asked for the room safe to be opened nothing happened and the same with a request for some cleaning of ants in the room. The food was good but very limited in choice and the first two days we mostly ate potatoes as they had not bought any food for the guests. Still we paid far more than twice the prices for similar food in Rishikesh. The manager was friendly as was the man that served us food (he seemed a bit embarrassed in fact). The only thing that was up to standards that would be expected in such a place was the spa. Expensive, but clean, a good atmosphere and a sweet and very skilled massage woman. The place as a whole was not as expected and when my new Gopro Hero3 camera with some spectacular shots disappeared we had enough and left the place before scheduled. We had to pay (full price) for the whole stay, but were glad to go to Rishikesh.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank janb1005
There are newer reviews for Sattva Spa and Wellness Retreat

Reviewed June 26, 2013

it was a highly disappointing.
the owner was insensitive and irresponsible (mr.malhotra)
there was no electricity for most of the time of our stay and it was considered alright (by the owner)in the month of june!!
the food was not worth the money we paid
no one took responsibility for the poor management
bathrooms were not that clean
it is far away from the city and the route is complicated. however the owner dis not even consider putting sign boards!!
ALSO THE OWNER STATED THAT WERE TRYING TO ATTRACT FOREIGN CROWD...so to all
u Indians....dont bother visiting this plsce...

2  Thank kavita513
Sattva Spa and ... R, Manager at Sattva Spa and Wellness Retreat, responded to this reviewResponded May 24, 2014

We have received your valuable feedback regarding your stay with us. Since we pride ourselves on creating memorable experiences for our guests, it was concerning to know about your negative feedback of your stay experience. You were also stayed with us on 8th of Jun. We understand your concern that the power was cuts off only that day from evening time to next day morning due to some major fault in electric main line of UPCL. The concern authority UPCL was not able to restore the electricity by next 24hrs. As you may be aware that we had a power back up Genset installed which used to take less than 10 seconds for electricity to start again. The Genset ran from early evening to early morning. Due to running continuously with load the genset was over heated and stopped. After all this every things went wrong for Sattva. We raised this issue with UPCL who didn’t restore the power by next 24 hrs. We know how that incident was spoiled the mood of our guest. It was really very disappointment to the guest. We assure you that your valuable feedback is taken in utmost seriousness and the process to improve the areas of concern has already been taken. We would like to impart you that we have taken a separate High Tension connection to avoid these power cuts. We apologies for any inconvenience caused.

It is clear from your review here that you wrote in a lot of anger. Even when our manager had explained to you the whole situation regarding electricity you still were not ready to understand. You never talked to our owner ..as they were not even in available to talk to anyone at that time. So I dont understand why write such exaggerated comments.
As food is concern, Sattva is wellness center and all our food is of highest quality and all vegetarian. Most of our food comes from our own organic farm or other farms all local and organic. All food will be fresh and has high Paranic energy. We focus on worthiness of food. It is really very upset for the management after reading such comment on food. Otherwise the guest from all over the world appraises our food quality and services. The food is priced according to the quality served. It is not a road side dhaba after all.

We again apologize for the discomfort and the disappointment that you faced. Please give us an opportunity by visiting us again and experiencing our hospitality in a new light.

Team Sattva

Reviewed June 12, 2013

my family and I were desperate to escape the burning heat of Delhi and decided to go to Rishikesh. After researching for days, we came across Sattva. Happy and excited about it, we immediately booked our tickets, that, fellow travellers, was our first mistake! Our Second mistake was to go by road. for within 6 hours of leaving Delhi, we were stuck in a HUGE traffic jam between Rishikesh and Haridvar. After 5 more hours of travelling, we finally reached Mohan Chatti, but to our surprise, there was not a sigle board or sign guiding us towards our "luxurious" Sattva.we somehow managed to find our way ...and finally reached the Hotel. And just when we most needed their "Wellness Retreat" the power went off and our lavish Sattva Resort ran out of fuel in their generator and we had to spend the whole night in the the heat, with neither a fan, nor an AC. So much for escaping the Delhi heat!
Luckily we were only spending one day there, and were busy rafting and stuff.
so didnt need to suffer any more!
BUT, even on that one day, the food quality was totally not worth the price. I mean, who would want expensive hard and dry pasta?!
my list of complains will go on and on, but i think i should stop now, cus i really dont wanna think of this resprt anymore.
so basically, my only advise to you is TO STAY AWAY!! and pls trust me..go with this advise.

4  Thank itravel165616
Sattva Spa and ... R, Manager at Sattva Spa and Wellness Retreat, responded to this reviewResponded May 20, 2014

Dear Valued Guest,

Thanks for the feedback. Since we pride ourselves on creating memorable experiences for our guests, it was concerning to know about your negative feedback of your stay experience. We have investigated the whole matter. You were stayed with us on 8th of Jun. We understand your concern that the power was cuts off from first day evening to next day morning due to some major fault in electric main line of UPCL. The concern authority UPCL was not able to restore the electricity for that day. The whole surrounding area was under darkness due to power failure from UPCL for next 24 hours. As you may be aware that we had a power back up Genset installed which used to take less than 10 seconds for electricity to start again. We ran genset upto early morning. Unfortunately the cut off time was too long caused Genset was over heated. As the Genset was running from last day upto next day early morning the Genset automatically stopped due to overheat. There was no possibility to get Genset restarted that time. It was really very disappointment to the guest. We were also embarrassed due to incapable staff of UPCL who didn’t restore the power by next 24 hrs. We would like to impart you that we have taken a separate High Tension connection to avoid these power cuts. We apologies for any inconvenience caused.
We look forward to host your stay again at Sattva and assure you that we will provide you best services next time.
Sattva Team

Reviewed June 12, 2013

Overpriced place with no relevance to being a 'wellness retreat'. The worst part was that on our first night of arrival, they ran out of fuel in their generator! So, in the hot and sultry June weather, we had no fan, let alone a/c, on our very first night. The manager, Mr Budoni as well as the owner, mr Malhotra, told us that we 'shdnt complain as in this area, even 5 stars donot give a/cs'. At last, he agreed to give us a discount of rs 1085/- against a bill amount of 40,000/-!!! Food was average and still overpriced. Hygiene level: poor as sheets/pillow covers had stains. Really disappointed.

Room Tip: Just dont go there.
Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank garimab
Sattva Spa and ... R, Manager at Sattva Spa and Wellness Retreat, responded to this reviewResponded May 23, 2014

We have received your valuable feedback regarding your stay with us. Since we pride ourselves on creating memorable experiences for our guests, it was concerning to know about your negative feedback of your stay experience. You were also stayed with us on 8th of Jun. We understand your concern that the power was cuts off on 8th of Jun from day time up to next day morning due to some major fault in electric main line of UPCL. The concern authority UPCL was not able to restore the electricity by next 24hrs. As you may be aware that we had a power back up Genset installed which used to take less than 10 seconds for electricity to start again. The Genset ran from early evening to early morning. Due to running continuously with load the genset was over heated and stopped. After all this every things went wrong for Sattva. We raised this issue with UPCL who didn’t restore the power by next 24 hrs. We know how that incident was spoiled the mood of our guest. It was really very disappointment to the guest. We assure you that your valuable feedback is taken in utmost seriousness and the process to improve the areas of concern has already been taken. We would like to impart you that we have taken a separate High Tension connection to avoid these power cuts. We apologies for any inconvenience caused.

Team Sattva

Reviewed June 8, 2013

Rishikesh is the last station in my 11 Day Uttarakhand tour and i were to proceed to Delhi to catch the return flight to Hyderabad. As Rishikesh would be by last destination, i was double cautious to find a good place so that this experience would impact my family's impression on the entire tour.

I was impressed with the Website and also the 9 reviews on the Trip Advisor. I spoke with Manager Badoni, explained that i would be coming from Rudraprayag and that Rishikesh would be a transit accomodation. I also wanted some Spa services for my family members. I was Quoted 5000 per Delux room i booked two rooms.

On the day of stay, we travelled 170 Kms from Kund and reached Rishikesh and to our bewilderment, we had to take an extra 50 Kms to reach this place as one of the bridge on the Ganga was reportedly not functioning as per Badoni and we had to go all around the Rishikesh via the barriage.Mr Badoni didint give proper information about the location and adding to our misery, our fuel got completely empty as our driver assumed we could fill the fuel in the town. While going in the Rajajai National park we were so scared when would the vehicle stop!

The resort was good but grossly understaffed. I had to open the gate myself as no one cameout even after honking several times. The rooms were good but prices were highly inflated and quoted to me. I observed that Cottage rooms were sold at very lower rates to others. The room service was very bad as there were only two room boys. The Spa services are just a misnomer and i really wonder how they could advertise their resort as a Wellness & Yoga retreat!! The Resort was small, and infact definitely is a good place to stay - but it was over hyped for its standards.

I protested with the management on - Lack of Prior Information about the location (Which made us travel two hours longer) and about the steep prices. Mr Badoni promised to meet us next day but he never turnedup. I spoke to the Property owner and gave the feedback. They were gracious enough to accept Standard room rates (3.5K) which i finally paid per room.

This was a lesson to me to not to go blindly based on Website and few reviews.

Room Tip: Cottages are better but even with 5K per room, i was offered only Delux rooms
7  Thank VikranthVasireddy
Reviewed May 27, 2013

We were planning fr a vacation and we came across Sattva ..it a beautiful property with excellent guest service... not only that our experience has been wonderful since we were only two there. .. Mr. Manger was very helpful and the food was excellent too ... having aloo parantha with curd or tea in the lap of mountains was an extra ordinary experience. The Spa was holistic and gives yu the time to find your inner self...

I will recommend it to people who would like feel nature...

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Nehasv
Reviewed February 8, 2013

My experience at Sattva has changed me forever. If you're new to yoga (as I am) this is also the place for you. At Sattva I learned how to meditate and I was amazed at the physical, energetic and emotional response my body had during our Sattva Yoga classes. Which I attribute Sattva Yoga's union of asanas, mantras and kriyas that I practiced. There really are no words or paragraphs that can explain the gratitude and profound shifts that occurred during these classes.

The Centre is lovely. I had a real bed, with real pillows and didn't feel the need to wear my flip-flops in the shower, because everything is very clean and beautiful. I have stayed at other places in Rishikesh, but it was nice to stay at a safe, clean and peaceful environment.

If you're traveling alone they can arrange transportation from the airport. I liked the fact that Sattva Centre is located just outside Lakshman Jhula. I've stayed in the center of town and soon tired from the constant horn beeping of motorcycles, dodging cow dung and having to make sure monkeys didn't take my bag of food, which is also the charm of India. However, it was nice to have a calm environment, where you can hear the birds and the sound of river. Silence is rare in India, and it's easy to share a taxi with other guest to get into the main town. It only takes 30 minutes and the taxis Sattva provide can drop you directly at the Lakshman Jhula bridge. We did it all the time and once you're in town for the day, you'll be glad to return to Sattva's peace and quite. I read one review where they said the trip was longer (80 min), because they had to go all the way around to another side of town so their taxi could park. This indeed makes the trip longer. However, if Sattva arranges a taxi it will drop you off at the Lakshman Jhula bridge and it only takes 30 min. You don't have to worry about where the taxi is allowed to park, that's the taxi's issue.

The food is divine. When you're eating and you're not even hungry, then you know it's good. The staff is kind, caring and gracious. They're not just staff, they become a part of your Sattva family and they will remain in your heart long after you're gone.

As for Anand. I've had some experiences in my lifetime, but I will have to say Anand and his teachings are on the top of the list. He is wise, adept, and knows how to impart this knowledge in a way that the recipient can utilize and apply them to their daily lives. He truly is a combination of intellect, profound wisdom, and boundless energy and has a wonderful sense of humor. I have the utmost respect for him. What I continue to appreciate is, that as busy as he is, Anand remains approachable. There are so many places where you can't even get close the Master Teacher. I was part of The Wisdom Immersion course, which I highly recommend, I still sensed the individuality of the lessons I learned during the wisdom talks.

If you were making one trip to India I would say this is your place. If you want something for your mind, body and spirit this is the trip for you. If you are fortunate to come back to Sattva then lucky you! I'm fortunate. I'm returning for the teachers training. I don't know if I'll ever teach, but I want to continue to learn, study and to build my practice. If you just want a cool place to hang out and read a book this is for you!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo