“Great place but I sadly can't recommend it”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Rishikesh
Staywell Cottage - Seema Guest House
Ranked #25 of 121 Rishikesh B&B and Inns
Seattle, Washington
“Great place but I sadly can't recommend it”
Reviewed January 30, 2013

I would've given Seema a 4 or 5 star rating, honestly I would have. I was already thinking about how my review would go after my first few days there. The rooms were spacious, clean (only the 2nd place in India I've found where I didn't feel the need to use my own sheets), and location was great (tucked away from the touristy bit so you can hear yourself think and feel yourself breath). It's int eh High Bank area and it's easy to just end up getting stuck on this hill. Seema only provides lunch but there are plenty of other tasty restaurants around. They are all similar in price and the menus are nearly identical. Seema even has wi-fi though, it's a bit dodgy sometimes (but better than most places I've been to in India) and you need to pay 20 rupees per day for it (new password everyday). For all of this, I stayed in a small 150 rupee room with a detached bath but moved to a much bigger room with a private bath for just 200 rupees. This is a huge bargain for the High Bank area. Just next door, one of the hotels charged 200 rupees per day for wi-fi alone!

I felt secure and safe here and Seema was really helpful when I was trying to get to her location (there's not signs from the main road). Contact her by phone is best..the contact info is hard to find, but the official website is here: http://seemahouse.webs.com/

The reason why I cannot reccomend this place is because I had a very unfortunately experience with Seema and her husband. I don't want to sound like a bitter person, so I will just say that if you do choose to stay here, to make sure you pick up all of your belongings before you go to check out, because you will have a hell of a time trying to get it back from them. I had a perfectly pleasant stay up until this point, I left the next day because I felt so cheated out of principle. To be fair, Seema seemed quite genuine and honest, but their argument for keeping my belongings didn't even make sense, and it was so ridiculous I just gave up.

I hope if you choose to stay here you have a better experience than me! It is worth checking out.

Room Tip: Getting the private bath is completely worth the extra 50 rupees
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
8 Thank Landysan

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
  • Hebrew first
Reviewed October 20, 2012

You can rely on this place with closed eyes.
clean rooms, comunicative and very willing to help people.good laundry service with fare price.
What more can you wish for...
best place in rishikesh for sure !!! (high bank)

• Stayed October 2012
4 Thank snoopy12345
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 18, 2012

I stayed at the guesthouse this June after finding it on trip advisor. I was travelling on my own as my husband had to go back to the UK and was so happy when I found Seema. I booked a room by telephone and arrived early in the morning - the room had only just been vacated but Seema let me in to sleep after my bus journey from Delhi and cleaned the room for me later.

The room was basic but spacious and clean with a warm shower, lock on the door, fan and a lovely view, fantastic value for money after some of the "hostels" we had spent our time in through Europe! Seema and her family are lovely people, a brand new baby was the star attraction.

The location is great - a good 15 minute walk from Rishikesh and the noise - High bank was like a little Haven up in the hills away from the mayhem. There was 2 Yoga classes which ran morning and evening at 2 of the other guesthouses and the Sivananda Ashram is a walk down the hill (hop into a shared rikshaw on the way back up). Food at the other guest houses was great - try the momo's up at the top guesthouse.

Seema's was a great place for single travellers and you get to meet loads of other people (especially if there is a nightly power cut due to the fantastic storms!). I felt completely safe at the guesthouse and was able to leave my bags for the day in the family part of the house before I left.

Seema is a very intelligent lady who only lets people stay who she trusts - as she told me this is her family home so she welcomes people who will respect that. All in all I would highly recommend this place - clean, safe, friendly, fab location, sociable without being a party place and beautiful hosts.

Room Tip: There is one aircon room on the top floor but they are planning to put another one in. I had a ceili...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
6 Thank denlutay
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 24, 2012

This is a lovely place to stay in Rishikesh. The location up on the High Bank is an oasis of calm among the full throttle mayhem of the town.

Smart, clean rooms. Lovely, helpful hosts.

Highly recommended.

(Decent WiFi too.)

Room Tip: The rooms on the lower floors are cooler.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank cpome7
Berlin, Germany
Reviewed May 20, 2012

I stay here in Mai 2012 for about 5 days. It was a nice place without the hektik from the pilgrems and the traffic from rishikesh. The place is in a Tourist area, you have only Guesthouses and Restaurants around.
They clean the room fresh when i arrived and the ownwer was really friendly.
I payed 250 RS for a big room without a viewing but that was ok, because on the daytime was it so hot that i have the windows close.
From the rooftop you can see the river, but for the looking to the Ganga you can find better places.
the shared riksha from the trainstation to the area costs around 20 RS.
In the beginning i want stay only two days but this place is so nice to stay a long time---
and i must wait that the nepales border was open. From Rishikesh btw the next big City is only one night Bus to the Border and its not the wrongest place to wait.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
5 Thank Mikosz
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed May 1, 2012

rooms 300, 400 (first floor) and 500 (sec floor) rs. 500 rs rooms are more spacious, but there are only two of them. Some of the rooms have a/c. They cost about 300 rs more.
Family run guesthouse. Nice people. Friendly and helpfull. Rooms are basic. No TV or funiture (there is some furniture in the two larger rooms).
WiFi for 10 rs each hour or 50 rs each 12 hours. Strange system around WiFi use.
Rooms are the cleanest we have seen in 8 weeks budget India. Almost spotless. Spacious and big bathroom with boiler.
Not a powershower but you can take a shower if you take the time for it.
Bed is comfortable enough. clean bedsheets and towels. We stayed 12 days. You have to ask for some cleaning or chance of bedsheets.
Seema do not come and offer it. Rooms never cleaned in 12 days. We did not ask either.
Although 'high bank'is not on a main road there is some noise at night. Shops and internet cafe's close between 24:00 and 2:00. It keep me awake.
There are still people there on that time. Havy sounds form the closing shops, motorcycles, honking etc wakes us up from 23:00 till 2:30 each half or full hour.
That is the only negative point i can write down. The guesthouse is 'super'. Good price for what they offer. Prices are fixed.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank quotas
Barnstaple, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 4, 2012

Clean and comfortable in a peaceful corner of Rishikesh with fabulous views from the balcony and very good value - what more could you ask for ... well maybe a nice restaurant with real coffee, good food and great music nearby ... yes that's there too - Swiss Garden Restaurant.

Room Tip: Top floor views are superb
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple