“A hidden gem”
Review of Garden and Sea Inn

Garden and Sea Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 New Church B&B and Inns
Reviewed May 27, 2013

We wanted to stay in Chincoteague but waited too late and ended up staying here instead. It's quite close to Chincoteague abut after visiting the island I think it was for the best. The island is quite busy and crowded and G&S is quiet and spacious. we stayed in a suite (3 of us) and it was very comfortable. It was in a separate building behind the inn and looked out into a field of wheat. The furnishings are top notch with a gas fireplace at the foot of the king sized bed and a tub with jets in the bathroom. Breakfast was amazing. I was expecting something simple but it was a treat, more of a desert that the hosts had adapted from a German recipe (the host are from Germany). They Inn is even dog friendly. If I ever go back to Chincoteague I'd stay here rather than trying to stay on the island. The hosts are amazingly gracious and very thorough in caring for their guests.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed May 24, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Garden Sea and Inn for his birthday. Neither of us have stayed in a bed and breakfast before. I have always wanted to own one someday. It was easy to get to, and not far from restaurants and shopping. Just far enough away from home to relax. We were invited to tour the inn and were given the history of its foundation. We drove around the area, stopped and ate, then went back to have cake, which I had ordered to be in the room. We relaxed in the jacuzzi, then some tv before bed. We enjoyed sitting in the garden after breakfast, which was a German cake with raspberry sauce of which I could not pronounce, but was delicious. A little piece of heaven. Will definitely go back again!

• Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed May 24, 2013

Thomas and Dorothy's charming B & B is a delight from the moment you walk into it. Lovely accents in every part of the rooms. Dorothy made sure to sit down with us and be sure that all our needs were met, including my special diet. She took the time to acquaint us with the area and all the various opportunities for tourists to sight see.

Our room is fantastic. The mattress is firm and gives a wonderful night's sleep. Love bathroom with two sinks in our room.

We have a new doggie. She is a rescue and as such, needs special care. We couldn't leave her at a kennel, so she came with us. There is ample room to walk her, a caged in run for dogs, and our innkeepers even provide doggie waste bags to pick up after our dog. Honestly, every little thing is thought of here.

I am writing this on the inn's computer, another nice amenity. Fresh towels, nice soap, small refrigerator in the room, there are just many amenities for their guests. Breakfast has been delightful so far and I look forward to our continuing stay here.

I notice one negative review and I have to think that the person who wrote it must be one of the "Professionally Malcontent Complainers" that you run into occasionally in life. There is nothing here that deserves anything less than an "Excellent" rating, including Thomas and Dorothy!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed May 21, 2013

The Garden and the Sea Inn was perfect for our honeymoon getaway. We have not booked a real trip yet but needed a few days to go away together after our wedding and we are so pleased that we decided on the Garden and the Sea Inn. From our beautiful room, the Chablis Suite, to Dorthee's wonderful breakfasts, to the great recommendations we were given for things to do with our dog while in Chincoteague, the trip could not have been better (except maybe if we had stayed and extra day or 2). I would highly recommend staying here, as we hope to return some time soon!

Room Tip: The Chablis Suite was beautiful.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 8, 2013

My boyfriend, who has never had a desire to stay at a B & B & conceded to make me happy, is sold--he says he will NEVER stay in a hotel again unless there is absolutely no alternative. The Chardonnay Room’s pictures & description do not do it justice—we grinned for our entire stay. There were also 2 minor but splendid perks to the room (which was more like a suite for as roomy as it was) that I also haven't seen mentioned. First, the bathroom skylights let us see stars at night & beautiful view of blue skies & green leaves during the day. Second, the bathtub (more than big enough for the 2 of us) had the little perk that its fixtures were to the side, & not in the center. You can use your imagination here, but having them out of the way can be great if you’re feeling romantic & in a hurry to get out of the tub.

As for the property & the buildings, the inn itself was incredibly charming. There were 3 buildings on the property. The grounds, buildings, decorations, amenities (including complimentary port wine!) were all wonderful. We found the swing near the reflecting pond to be very cozy & romantic, too.

The innkeepers themselves sealed the deal. We were welcomed most warmly, & our orientation to the grounds, though not time consuming, was very informative & appreciated.

Breakfast itself was actually a FUN & scrumptious affair. The spread was wonderful (yum, homemade yogurt!) & Dorothee's cooking skills were fantastic, as was the presentation of our food. While we dined, Thomas was available to chat--he's both hilarious & full of excellent information about the area. Likewise, diners who appeared to want privacy were provided superb service but left to chat between themselves.

All in all, neither my boyfriend nor I have a single complaint about our stay. He said he can't wait to stay at another bed & breakfast & that he absolutely wants to come back to the Garden & the Sea Inn!

Room Tip: The Chardonnay Room is beautiful, quiet, convenient, & romantic. Note the comment in my review...
1  Thank DelawareTraveler17
Reviewed April 30, 2013

We had an opportunity recently to stay at the Garden and Sea Inn for three nights. After reading the reviews our only concern was how could it live up to our now impossibly high expectations. Well, I don't know how they could have done it, but Thomas and Doro managed to exceed them.

The experience at Garden and Sea begins and ends with the world's best hosts. Thomas and Dorothee are energetic, helpful, friendly, welcoming, charming...truly salt-of-the-earth. They are both that rare type of person who, after talking with them for only a few minutes, makes you feel like you have been best friends for years.

When we arrived we were given a lovely tour of the property and buildings, along with a history of the inn. The grounds are beautiful, with little gardens and walkways all around, quiet places to sit and read, small ponds with frogs and fish, even a mediation garden with an inviting swing. The Garden House has a welcoming parlor where you can sit and drink coffee and tea, accompanied by Doro's homemade cookies, which are generously restocked throughout the day. If you are there when we are, please be sure to leave me one of the chocolate chip cookies - they are amazing!.

The guestrooms are well appointed with great decorating touches throughout. Our bed was oh-so-comfortable - I haven't slept so soundly in a long time. We were comfortable and relaxed the entire time.

Dorothee is an amazing cook (the plates had barely been cleared when we started wondering what she would be making for us the next day!). Each breakfast was not only great-tasting, but so very well presented as well. Thomas is a wonderful host who kept us entertained with stories and recommendation for sightseeing and dining.

Our time at the inn ended far too quickly, and we are already planning our next visit - partly for the chance to explore the eastern shore again, but mostly to catch-up with our new friends Thomas and Dorothee.

1  Thank Charles C
Reviewed April 24, 2013

What an amazing find - just by chance!! We were traveling from the NC outer banks to CT and basically just looked for a spot to stay in between. I did read other reviews so had a feeling Garden & Seas would be good, but it was so much better than that. Out hosts were so friendly and accommodating. And the breakfast was to die for. My only complaint was that we only had one night there! We might just have to schedule a longer stay in the future!
Thank you, Dorothee and Tom - your lovely inn is delightful!!

Room Tip: We loved the Nelson Room!
Also consider these accommodations in or near New Church
Refuge Inn
Refuge Inn
#1 of 21 in Chincoteague Island
Hampton Inn and Suites Chincoteague-Waterfront
Hampton Inn and Suites Chincotea...
#2 of 21 in Chincoteague Island
Econo Lodge
Econo Lodge
#2 of 4 in Pocomoke City
Holiday Inn Express Pocomoke City

Been to Garden and Sea Inn? Share your experiences!