“What a wonderful experience!”

Garden and the Sea B&B Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 New Church B&B and Inns
Newark, Delaware
“What a wonderful experience!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2012

Dorothee and Thomas graciously accomodated 30 of our friends and family for a rehearsal dinner on the night before our son's wedding. We were so pleased with the evening, and the food--and beverages--were enjoyed by all! Their hard work made the very special evening memorable and was greatly appreciated by my entire family.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
Felton, Delaware, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2012

I've stayed in about 20 b and b's over the years and this was in my top 3 b and b's ever. The house is beautiful and so are the grounds. There are very few places like this that allow pets, and I took my cat with me because she's getting up there in years (18) and I don't know how much longer she'll be with me so I like to spend lots of time with her. The innkeepers are very happy to host guests with pets though most bring dogs. The room I stayed in (Nelson) was immaculate and very large compared to rooms I've stayed in elsewhere. Great bathroom too, with a clawfoot tub. The common area is really nice and there are lots of snacks and drinks available for guests any time of day, which I thought was a nice touch (and unusual). The breakfasts were nothing short of amazing. One could fill up on homemade granola and breads and fruit, but the main course of each breakfast was just terrific. The three days I was there they featured pancakes with blueberry syrup with bacon, a German dessert that was sort of like the consistency of cornbread with soft inside and crispy top that had cherries in it with some sort of cherry and I think vanilla glazes on it as well as sausage, and then today they served Eggs Benedict with smoked salmon. I don't eat eggs so they gave me my own breakfast which had pork tenderloin, veggies with a sauce, and an English muffin. I've never stayed anywhere that they gave you a whole different breakfast if there was something you didn't eat. Normally places just take what you don't eat off your plate. So this was really impressive! I would absolutely buy a cookbook if they ever come out with one. The place is located close (by car) to several cool places. I went to Chincoteague to the refuge and to this nice independent bookstore, and I went to Bloxom Winery which was really lovely. Most of the time I was there I was working on research and writing an essay for publication, and so I spent a fair amount of time in my room, but it was always very quiet there and I got a lot of work done. There was a rehearsal dinner in the dining room the one night and the innkeeper apologized in advance for potential noise between 6 and 9pm, but honestly I didn't hear anything from my room. Oh and one other thing...they will put extras in your room on request. At last minute I requested the chocolate cake and a bottle of wine. They accomodated me and I was really happy with the choice of wine, which was terrific, and the cake was HUGE and very decadent. I ended up bringing a lot of it home with me! The prices for the add-on amenities are really good. They just aren't jacking up the prices on this stuff the way a lot of places do. I've never added on things like that to my room simply because of the cost, but in this case, the cost is so reasonable that you feel compelled to add things. Overall I just was so happy with this place. I want to return often, and I definitely want to come in the summer so I can use the pool. The innkeepers have a wonderful place and really know how to run it very well. It was a terrific experience!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Baltimore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2012

We really enjoyed our stay at Garden and the Sea! Doro and Thomas were excellent, gracious hosts, and our room, The Merlot Room, was large, attractive, and comfortable. The dining room is lovely and the food excellent. We visited Smith Island, Chincoteague, and Assateague on this 3-day getaway. Walking the beach at Assateague was a highlight. It was fun to visit in October when the crowds were gone, and we had beautiful crisp, fall weather. Garden and the Sea? Highly recommended!

Centerville, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2012

We stayed for three nights in the Champagne room--very large, commodious, with comfortable and tasteful furniture and appointments, none of the frou-frou stuff one encounters at so many B&Bs. There's a little refrigerator and a coffee maker in the room, and the parlor downstairs is furbished with books, dvds, delicious snacks, and port, as well as biscuits for dogs (pet-friendly place). It's not far from Chincoteague, and it's much quieter. The hosts are very knowledgeable and fun to converse with.

Room Tip: Choose a room without a jacuzzi if you have trouble getting into a high tub. The Champagne room is a...
Norfolk, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2012

We had a great time staying at this B&B! We went for our 10th anniversary and it couldn't have been better. The food was amazing, and the owners were so sweet. I would definitely recommend staying here over staying on Chincoteague - it was much more relaxing to enjoy the beautiful grounds than to be right in town on a tiny plot of land. Did I mention the food was amazing?!? ;)

Room Tip: We stayed in the Merlot room in the main house - it was beautiful and spacious with a large bathroom...
New Market, VA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2012

Friendly and helpful innkeepers. Great breakfast and nice snacks provided. Lovely rooms. Close to Chincoteague, restaurants, and wineries. Stayed in the Chardonnay room with a comfortable king-sized bed and huge bathroom with jacuzzi tub and towel warmer.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Marshall, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2012

Our first visit ever to a Bed & Breakfast, and it was very, very nice. The setting was comfortable beyond our expectations, the establishment was dog friendly, which was very important to us. The privacy was wonderful, and the owners are truly knowledgeable about the surrounding area.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Comfort Suites Chincoteague
#3 of 19 in Chincoteague Island
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,133 reviews
Marina Bay Hotel & Suites, an Ascend Hotel Collection Member
Marina Bay Hotel & Suites, an As...
#10 of 19 in Chincoteague Island
Refuge Inn
Refuge Inn
#2 of 19 in Chincoteague Island
Holiday Inn Express Pocomoke City

Been to Garden and the Sea B&B Inn? Share your experiences!