“Great Seafood”

Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed November 7, 2013

Every time I come down to ESVA I try to eat here. I've tried other restaurants in the area and Rays has been the best for seafood. I love the AYCE shrimp. If you go Wednesdays and Sundays the price is $19.95 with a side, coleslaw, and hush puppies. Great deal! yummy:) Rays also has great other seafood, fish, crabs, clams, oysters etc.. All at a reasonable price.

Reviewed October 25, 2013

Ray's Shanty is the perfect place to go near Chincoteague for steamed shrimp and great flounder. Shrimp are available in several different ways, steamed, fried, AYCE; their large flounder, when available, is awesome and hangs over the large plate. Their hush puppies are extremely good and are a perfect accompaniment for any type of seafood. Their salads are always fresh with "real" tomatoes; the only disappointment was the packaged dressings, which were good but not freshly made. The waitstaff has always been very attentive; ask for Sara who is especially good.
This is a "down home" type of seafood restaurant patronized by locals and tourists. Go early because there is usually a good crowd. It is well worth the drive. Call first before you go in the winter months because they do close during part of that time.

Reviewed October 21, 2013

To find a place like the Eastern Shore of Virginia is special, and add a dining spot where the locals really do go to enjoy the harvest of the local waters is the icing on the cake. Chincoteaque Island has many great restaurants and one doesn't have to leave the island to get a good seafood meal. Ray's is worth the drive off-island to the mainland (about eight miles), for what we think is the freshest and best seafood around. From the moment you enter, you know you are among locals--everyone knows everyone, hi here, hi there, what have you been up to, etc., and we fit right in easily. When I was a little guy, my aunt (southern lady) made the best hush puppies---Ray's hush puppies sent me right back to that time---Awesome and just like my aunts : ). My wife and I enjoyed their crab cakes and scallops along with home made cole slaw and fresh cut fries. To go on a little vacation to the Eastern Shore as a tourist is one thing, but to visit Ray's and come away feeling like a local is the best. We love this place!

Reviewed October 10, 2013

It's not fancy but the best food around and great prices too. We thoroughly enjoyed our meals, crab cakes for me and shark for my husband. Delicious!!! Even the hush puppies were great and I don't like those! My husband told me to rate this place as a 5 and never bothers to comment on any place! The only good thing about the government shut down is that we were able to get into this place without waiting for hours!! We were told that there is always a long wait!

1  Thank Diane C
Reviewed September 15, 2013

It is almost a must to visit Ray's when we go to Chincoteague. It is very hard to get my husband to leave the island once we get there, but there is no argument when the "let's go to Ray's" pops up. For those of you who can eat a good amount of shrimp, the all you can eat is the greatest. For those with lesser appetites the steamed shrimp platter is plenty. (BEWARE SOMETIMES THE SHRIMP COME WITH HEADS ON, BUT WE THINK THEY ARE TASTIER WITH THE HEADS ON AND THEY ARE VERY EASY TO REMOVE, THEY WILL INFORM YOU OF THAT WHEN YOU GET THERE) There are lobster specials on certain nights and there is a kiddie menu and land lubber fare as well. Oh and don't forget the hush puppies, there are none better and I have never heard anyone say they didn't like them, even people who are not hush puppie fans. This is a family run operation and the staff has been there a long time, very friendly, and we all think Ray is a great 'Jimmy Buffet' kind of guy.

1  Thank sallyg899