“Stay away..”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Midelt
Auberge Jaafar Kasbaa Itto
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Midelt
Reviewed January 16, 2014

This place was hard to find. It was located 8.7km outside of city. We had a GPS but it was not shown in the map. No signs along the road and we stopped to ask locals a few times in the pitch black. The hotel and especially room was extremely run down and dirty. The blankets in the room were old, smelly and dirty. Shower was so disgusting that we decided not to take a shower in the morning. A ripped and dirty blanket was hung as a curtain in the room. Since they don’t have a heater, a portable radiator was offered. It was so old that one of the feet was broken, so it stood crooked. Its maximum heat was barely luke warm. We were so cold all night. Outlet- 3 outlets in the room but only one was working Breakfast- 2 piece of the same bread, jam, coffee with milk .. The worst breakfast ever and they charged 120 diram for two. Dinner- since they were in the middle of nowhere, we decided to eat there. They showed me a menu with no price then. We asked the price and I was told the food would be 50 DH (20+30) We ordered a bottle of house wine, Moroccan salad and couscous. Next morning, the dinner bill was 235 DH (wine 120, Moroccan salad 35DH, couscous 80DH) I asked them the detail and they showed me a different menu this time. The prices matched to the bill not what they said last night. I told them the price I was told but they acted like they didn't understand. What could we do? We paid the written price. They charged 30 DH for welcome tea. Everything was terrible. I would stay away if I had a choice.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Isha S

Reviewed October 12, 2013

Weird.
The only way to describe this place. A bit rundown, not well-maintained. A maze of rooms and corridors, gardens with plenty of vines and flowers. Great views from the roof. Quiet location.
Rooms : nothing special. And I mean nothing. Relatively clean.
Showers : warm water comes, eventually.
Beds : no bedbugs, or other creepy-crawlies.
On the positive side : great potential.
A lick of paint, a few handymen (or women) could uplift this place to make it a top location.
The food was alright, nothing out of the ordinary.
Check if you can get local Berber singers/dancers to perform. That experience will make you never forget this place.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank KotR
Reviewed June 20, 2012

It was friendly enough but luckily we were travelling in a large group or we would have felt very isolated. It is in the middle of nowhere with nothing to do. Our Berber guide took us through the village which was a great experience.

Beautiful mountain views. I am sure this place must have been special in its day. Beds very saggy and squeaky, not that comfortable. Tried to ignore that the shower looked like a converted squat toilet!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Lee M
Reviewed May 4, 2011

I am fairly well travelled and have stayed in a number of different places, paying a range of prices and my husband and I both agreed that it is probably the most bizarre place we have ever stayed in (and we have stayed in a art deco hotel in Dalat where each room is designed as the room of an animal...)

The good points - fantastic views, out of town location, Midelt is a good stopping point between Merzouga and Fes, friendly and helpful staff, large hotel with bags of character and a real "real life" experience, our room was bright and cheerful

And now for the eccentric/bad points. To be fair our experience may have been partly affected by three large tour groups staying there, which (in my opinion) never makes a good start to a hotel's ambiance.

1) We only had a choice of 2 rooms as the other (presumably better) rooms were already taken - one room was dank, dark and smelt mouldy, and the other was bright and airy with fabulous views - can you guess which one we chose?

2) They couldn't find a key to fit the lock on our door - they did try more than 8 keys, but none of them fitted... we thought this might not be an issue as we were in one of the tower rooms and to get there you needed to get up onto the roof, duck under the satellite dish wires, climb over a ledge and then duck / limbo under a series of vines. We thought this would deter other people from coming to the room, but at least twice during our stay people arrived at our room and came in expecting it to be empty, walked straight in. It was the only place we used our travelsafe during our 10 days in Morocco.

3) The food was not great - an overdressed salad, a veg tagine which was made with meat stock and I chose the creme caramel - which was one of those ones you get in a pack of 4 from a supermarket. The breakfast was bad - the bread was nice, but the croissants were stale - cut in half I thought one was a piece of baguette....)

4) The characters in the hotel, whilst friendly were also wierd - one person kept addressing my husband with random phrases in German, and another continually asked him for cigarettes

5) We chose this hotel as it had a pool. The pool is an above ground pool - you need to climb some steps to get to it, and once up there you have a surround of about 50cm all around the pool to leave your clothes/towel etc. There is nowhere to relax near the pool... you need to go through the dining room to get to any of the courtyards. The pool also looked very green - despite the heat we chose not to swim!

6) They said that the hot water in our room would come but we would have to run the water and wait. We waited for 5 minutes and still no hot water so showered in cold water. When we came back an hour later the bathroom and our room was flooded so much it was running out of the door.

7) The tour groups dominated the dining room, so that we and another couple were perched on tables between them. It was not exactly conducive to us staying up long, so we went to bed early. The tour group then went on to have a very noisy night - with drumming from 9pm until midnight - I had earplugs and am slightly deaf, but my husband was kept awake until midnight by it.

All in all for the price we paid, I reckon there are much nicer and better value places in Morocco (Auberge le festival in Todra Gorge for one). However, I would not know if there are better places to stay in Midelt as the other places seemed rather bland.

It does have potential - sorting out some of the cooking issues, providing locks for the rooms and better plumbing would mean that we would have had an eccentric but enjoyable stay, marred by the tour groups. As it was, I would not be looking to return (although if you are trekking in the area it is probably worth while due to it's location)

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Trurzy
Reviewed June 20, 2009

The Auberge is quite distant from the town of Midelt. But as there is nothing to do there anyway, it doesn't matter. Driving up towards the Auberge, the surroundings became more beautiful and our hopes were getting up. But, after arriving at the auberge, we were a bit disappointed. The staff was helpful and carried our bags immediately. The owner (sigarette in mouth, slightly drunk, but friendly) proudly showed us around the property and we got to choose between several rooms which he had available. We choose 'the best' room, which was less than basic (two lousy rickety beds, a plain lamp without lamp shade, tiny bathroom). Staying there is not at all comfortable and luckily, we were only there for one night. The food was the worst we had during our trip through Morocco. Not fresh at all. We also questioned the hygiene... At the evening dinner, we were seated at a table for two underneath a fluorescent lightbulb. At the same time, there was a big group of people who smoked heavily. The owner was drinking & smoking more and more was sometimes a bit annoying. When making eye contact, he started telling long and boring stories. In the morning, breakfast was even worse. Pancakes cold and dry, bread looks like it's a week old... We were glad to check out and get on the road again. To summarise, the place has a certain charm, as does the owner. In all fairness, you should not expect some luxurious accommodation in a location like that. You should come to see the beautiful surroundings, mountains and hikes. It's just part of the experience!

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Holliday4ever
Reviewed June 21, 2008

I loved this place! Everything that other guests hated, are *precisely* the reasons I loved it - I loved its off-the-beaten track location, its ramshackle authenticness, the staff were real, unpretentious, unobsequious. The building used to be a multi-
generational farmhouse, and its REALNESS - not a fake Casbah like Hotel Asmaa - represents organic growth over time - anthropological intactness is a quality I highly value. Also, the price is fair and reasonable. You want guaranteed hot water on demand, you say? Then stay at the fake Casbah on the main road south of town for quadruple the price. For 200 DH per person, you've got a choice of 20 different room types - all unique. Nothing cookie-cutter here. Because it's off the electric grid, all hot water comes from solar panels. Even the smells were delightful to me; nothing more repulsive than the smell of chemicals in the drains especially for Nasrani noses. I WANT the feeling that I'm somewhere where the blow-dryer and bottled water set doesn't want to be! My travelling companions chose a dark, quiet courtyard room with a window, and I had the rooftop to myself in one of the four tower rooms - 10 windows all blowing cool mountain breezes in cross-ventilation heaven! I did wish they had a few more seating options up there on the roof...but I dragged the plastic lawn furniture around to suit me. There was a peacock and two peahens wandering freely around the grounds; what could be better? This is a place for the self-sufficient traveler - I know, aren't we all? - but I mean, for those who don't need/want a guide, who can speak the language, entertain themselves, and aren't freaked out by the contact with the locals. I wouldn't send my mother here; but I would send my wilds-of-Bornea brother. Overall, very comfortable and good value. For bird-watchers, hikers, and people who want a fieldwork experience.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
3  Thank xpcv
Reviewed May 26, 2008

The auberge is located far from the center of Midelt in beautiful surroundings, with nice views of the mountains.
The building itself is a rambling mismash of rooms around tiny courtyards. Though the beds are clean, most rooms have a musty and damp smell, and several of our group found big cockroaches. Several rooms didn't have windows.
Hot water is erratic, mostly there isn't any, and some of the rooms didn't have any water at all during the two nights we stayed there. In this case the solution is bathing in the ice-cold little swimming pool fed by a source.
We were supposed to have a guided walk with a picnic lunch. The indifferent guide took us for a stroll on the main road and the picnic was just half a sandwich and an orange. Most of the food was somewhat lacklustre.

• Stayed: May 2008