“Nice hotel with some down reviews”

and 1 more site!
Tamarina Golf & Spa Boutique Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Tamarin
Reviewed April 22, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the hotel for 2 nights last week end. The hotel itself is really nice and different! Great views, lots of privacy!
Rooms are really comfortable. Staff at restaurant were very friendly and eager to help us.
Food though is on the down side.
Chips arrived cold with a steak at lunch and my samoosas as a first course were very greasy.
Being mauritian - the mauritian buffet was missing a few basic components: pulses, chutneys, plain rice, salty fish, deep fried eggplants, lalos (lady fingers). i could probably name some more stuff...
I unfortunately happen to leave my brand new sunglasses on the bench next to reception upon arrival and by the time i found out i misplaced them it was gone. I went to reception 3 times to check that they hadnt found it and was sent back with an easy "no we didnt" and that was the end of it.
I; at the end had the director called to be able to visualise the videos at reception and the front desk made such a fuss of calling him but he finally came. I was very happy to see that he was taking the matter very seriously and that he was going to look into it; on the opposite of the lady at the desk. One morning i asked for a golf cart to go to the parking to have a look in the car and was told that one buggy was on the golf course and the other 2 ones were out to lunch. so i guessed i was supposed to go back to my room and wait or walk. I took the 2nd option!
At check out, the only thing that the reception lady found to tell was : Sad we could not find your glasses - like i was leaving and that was the end of the matter. They acted like it was just a pair of glasses bought at Carrefour!
We stayed there during the week end and really hoping to get news from them soon.
My husband and I travel a lot and never make a fuss for anything and are happy to enjoy a few days of holidays and relaxation. We were really not impressed!
Its a really good hotel if you don't have any problems. if i hadn't lost/GOT STOLEN my sunglasses i would never had put any comments and would definitely have really good comments about the hotel.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed April 16, 2013

Very nice hotel in beautiful location in Mauritius, I stayed 4 days on a all inclusive package which was great. Good food, drinks, service and location ..all good but I did find 2 geckos lizards in my room which was annoying, I reported it to the management and they quickly sent someone to remove them, also outside the rooms by the doors there were lots of lizards around which was quiet annoying the management should look into it and do some preventive work.
The spa package is great, great massages, golf etc. would highly recommend this hotel to everyone,

Room Tip: All rooms are great, try and stay all inclusive package which is really great value ...both golf and...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed April 8, 2013

We stayed here for 10 days at the end of March 2013 and really enjoyed it. We loved the private atmosphere as the hotel is quite small. The beach is not perfect and due to the missing reef the sand is not really white, the water not light blue as you would expect it and the waves are quite high at times. The beaches of the hotels up North towards Flic-en-Flac are much more beautiful and the water ist clear, turquoise and very calm.

The personnel is very nice and observant - maybe a little overstrained at times. The minibar is included in the price and it is officially refilled once a day. Regrettably this promise wasn't met frequently. Well, this isn't a big deal but it is really annoying if you have to call the reception every some days and ask them to refill the missing bottles. One day I had to call them three times (!!!) and then they told me that the drinks were refilled. I knew that they weren't but they kept refusing to refill it. I think, it is very unprofessional to argue with a guest about two small bottles of beer especially if the guest has the all-inclusive package anyways.

We really enjoyed the daily massages that come with all-inc if you do not play golf.

The restaurant is very good, not excellent but very good, and every some days the hotel offers restaurant specials, such as a lobster menue or a beach buffet that require registration one day in advance. I don't know why, but the hotel does not actively inform guests about these options. We always found out about this coincidentally and too late, which was really annoying.

Every night they have different musicians at the restaurant who play during dinner - they all were brilliant!!! We really enjoyed this kind of entertainment.

Room Tip: Rooms 5xx and 4xx have "sea view" (if there wouldn't be a huge tree that completely co...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 2, 2013

A very well located boutique hotel near Flic n Flak with a nice beach that begs for long walks in the morning or evening.

If you looking for watersports, this is not your place. They do have access to some kayaks and motorized equipment, but that should not be the reason you come here.

Peace and quiet. Good service. Friendly staff. Large well appointed room with a really nice shower that screams 'share me'

No wifi in the rooms which for the romantic weekend we had in mind worked well. To catch up on life or use trip adviser you can use the free wifi in the bar area.

Food wise. Nothing special, but the service was second to none. The staff learn your names and are quick to recognize your needs. My ash tray appeared as I sat down from the second day.

The lobster dinner was Arb. Large and tasty lobster, but the starter and second course was dare I say ugly.

Overall

Great time.

Recommend you hire a car and explore the southern side of the island

Four pools mean you are never crowded, but the location of the pools mean you cannot skinny dip ;-)

Room Tip: Sea facing is great. 511 is very private
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 2, 2013

We stayed at Tamarina in March of this year (2013). Having stayed previously at the Paradis in La Morne, we had been recommended Tamarina by friends. The Paradis, while being amazing, we felt was a little overbearing for ourselves.

The Tamarina was wonderful in pretty much every way. It is located in the corner of the bay with beautiful vistas in any direction you care to look. The beach is all sand and gently slopes into the warm Indian Ocean. It is not a private beach, but apart from the weekend when the locals come to enjoy the area, it was never crowded and we never saw a single hawker.

The Hotel itself is only 50 rooms, this means it all feels very personal, but not imposing. The staff were marvelous and went out of their way to make you feel welcome. Nothing was too much trouble and it had a lovely homely feel. Rooms wise, they are spacious and airy. The aircon and fan meant you could have it as hot or cold as you wished. We had a beautifully located sea view room, but the room we used on the last day was equally as pleasant, looking out into the gardens. I think you would be pretty hard pushed to have a badly located room here, as the general layout has been cleverly used to encompass the idyllic scenery.

As we are both golfers, we played a number of rounds at the attached golf course. The course is stunning, it's been well designed and fits into the scenery beautifully. A nice feature of the course and club, was that your all inclusive deal, included meals and drinks at the golf club. We had lunch here after golf and it was delightful. The shuttle then transports you back to the hotel (around 5 minutes away), to spend the rest of the day lazing on the beach or in the pools.

The food here is a mixture of buffet and a la carte. The Buffets were often themed, but irrespective of theme there was always a fall back for the less adventurous. For us it was perfect, there were plenty of opportunities to try local specialities, these were often delicious fragrant Curries. Alternatives were often a variety of Grilled fish or meats, pot roasted meats, cold cuts or fish in many forms. Anyone who really enjoys food will love the Tamarina. The Marlin Steak, Capitane Fillet or Roast Wild boar were standout dishes for us.

Were there no downsides ? The only thing that my wife and I could really find wanting was the house wine. It was an acquired taste, the red we had cracked by the end of our two weeks, but to me the white and Rose were "Unusual".........hardly a showstopper.

We absolutely loved Tamarina. We pretty much never return to places, but we will definitely will be back to Tamarina very soon.

Room Tip: Room numbers starting with 4 upwards, are closest to the beach.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank RoopsK
Reviewed February 24, 2013

Top of the list, it had to be the FOOD! It was marvelous! You really have to give credit to the Chefs, Kitchen Staffs and their service staffs for making each meal with glee and enthusiasm!

We took the half board, and so our breakfast and dinner was covered.
We were surprised by the resort's dining quality, be it the table setting, ambience, decoration, music and of course the menu!

The menu changes every night such as Chinese night, Japanese night, European night, and as the name suggests, the food changes along with the theme.

For the chinese night, they served the mauritian chinese style food, such as shao mai and nyuk nian. I'm a chinese and I can tell you that they cooked the chinese food very well! The fish balls' taste almost like my country's food.

The music was also fantastic, from romance to jazz and even soulful songs, the experience was just perfectly romantic and nice~❤

The room is decent and clean but considering the price, it is your average room that comes along with a typical resort.
There were alot of mosquitoes in the room, and I would appreciate if the hotel had provided us with electric mosquito killer.
Room comes with a garden view with some sea view and was lovely if not for the mosquitoes ><.

Location: Extremely near to the Casela and Cascavella mall.

~❤ Lovely Experience and will be back again~

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SOWTN
Reviewed February 14, 2013

We were pleasantly surprised at this boutique style resort - the hotel layout, the rooms, the restaurant and atmosphere in general - especially the food!! Compliments to the chef :) it got better and better as we went along (we stayed 5nights). The setting is also beautiful, and the sea at Tamarin Bay is clean and the best swim I have experienced in a long time. I will recommend this hotel to anyone, and would love to return one day!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank 391LouiseZ
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tamarin
Hilton Mauritius Resort & Spa
#1 of 11 in Le Morne
Le Meridien Ile Maurice
Le Meridien Ile Maurice
#5 of 8 in Pointe Aux Piments

Been to Tamarina Golf & Spa Boutique Hotel? Share your experiences!