“Awesome getaway!!!!!!”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Sandston VA
“Awesome getaway!!!!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2007

This place is a must if you are looking for a great getaway. From the moment you arrive, Leslie & Rafi (owners) make you feel like you are staying in your own little getaway spot. The food was fabulous!!!!! The most relaxing setting. The inn is beautifully decorated. The entire staff goes above & beyond to make sure you are comfortable & all your needs are met or exceeded!! The only thing that was wrong with the weekend was we did not eat dinner there both nights. (also left the camera at home) We are just counting the days until we can get away to the Mark Addy again......Thank you so much Rafi & Leslie

Jon & Beth Beegle
Sandston, VA

• Liked — the freindliness
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank RETQMC

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
Richmond, Va
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2007

Well this is my girlfriend's and I first time staying at a B&B. I decided to take her to the Mark-Addy Inn and purchased the romantic packge deal in the Mary Virginia room. From the min. we got there to the min. we left, we had a wonderful time. It was our 1 year anniversary and I wanted to bring her somewhere different and elegant. Well I chose the right place.

We decided to go wine tasting on our first day there and the hosts gave us great tips and secrets to which wineries would be the best for us, since we were new to wine. In the morning before touring the wineries we had a delicious breakfast made up of quiche, fruit, sausage, and really good homemade muffins. After that we headed out to the wineries and had a great time at all of them. When we got back we were treated to a 5-star dinner at the Inn and spent the rest of the night having wine and talking with everyone on the front porch. From beginning to end this trip was great, nothing at all bad to say. We will def. we coming back and refering everyone we know.

• Liked — The hosts and the views
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank bauerah
Lynchburg VA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2007

Returned home a couple of days ago from The Mark-Addy. Back to reality.Before we walkd in we stopped to take in our surroundings. From the front we gazed out at the beautiful grounds.The fountain and the view of the mountains was the perfect setting for our tenth anniversary. Leslie greeted my wife and I as we walked in. We felt at home... but far away in our new surroundings. Our room was the Colonel. My wife loved it and I was glad I had chose it. The recliners and the bed were very comfortable. The shared balcony porch was a nice touch. I brought the Romantic Pkg. It included a wonderful, wonderful,did I say wonderful dinner. Rafi made the best Filet Minon and my wife the Lamb Chops. Perfect is the only word for the dining room, presentation,and the food. With Leslie, Stefanie,and Rafi The Mark-Addy helped make what my wife said was "The best anniversary we shared together". We will be back and I leave this Haiku for my new friends at The Mark-Addy
The Mark-Addy Inn
A great place to spend your time
They treat you so well

2 Thank TedthePoet
Richmond, VA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2007

The Mark Addy was our first Bed and Breakfast experience, and boy will our next Inn have something to live up to! We stayed in their Orient themed Mimosa room, and loved every minute of it.
This place boasts a gourmet breakfast each morning, and the option for dinner in the evening as well.

As soon as we walked into the place, we felt welcomed and were shown around the Inn as if it would be our new home. They even have a parrot to greet you at the front door!

The only cautions I might give someone staying here are that the place is a bit old and worn in some places. Our room was immaculately clean, and included comfy robes, and plenty of toiletries, but maybe could have used a fresh coat of paint on some areas of the walls. The bed was also a little firm for my liking, but its all what you are used to!

All in all I would totally stay here again. Especially if you keep in mind that the prices are so much cheaper than the wintergreen resort, and I can guarantee the hospitality is better.

• Liked — The Hospitality
  • Disliked — Bed was a little too firm
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank alohadreams23
Washington, DC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 16, 2006

We went to the Charlottesville area for a winter weekend and found this hotel through the Washington Post. It was a recommended B & B and the website looked good so I booked it for two nights. I had called and received the answering machine-- realized when I got there that Leslie and Raf are very busy folks! ... so I booked on-line and got a near immediate confirmation for a room.

We arrived a little later than we had planned and drove up the driveway to see a stunning Italian fountain overflowing with icicles. My husband asked if it was real (yes!) ... a cat sat outside on the front porch making the whole scene a little surreal. It is a very relaxed and unpretentious environment... a plus for us-- we felt very comfortable there, like it was our own little country cottage, didn't feel like we had to tiptoe around the place.

It is very much away from city or suburb and we decided to eat in the Inn's restaurant for the evening meal-- a very wise choice. Everything on the menu looked appetizing and it was hard to choose what to order. It's very intimate, only a handful of tables, so everything is made to order by Raf himself. The meal was absolutely amazing-- succulent meat dishes cooked to perfection, nice Virginia wine to accompany them and tasty desserts (and dessert wine)... We practically had to roll ourselves up the stairs to get to our room afterward.

The room we had selected was the Abiner Smoothie, named for the last elegant bear. I expected more bears but it was fine. It was small but comfortable, warm, and had no shortage of hot water. Restful and cozy. If you need a large bed this isn't the room for you.... there are many others to choose from on the inn's website.
More food:
Breakfast is served promptly at 9am. There is a reason for this--- it is an extravagant multi-course event. We were welcomed with the best blueberry muffins I had ever tasted, followed by a fruit cup with cinnamon creme, a slice of quiche and exquisite grits with dried fruit and cinnamon. Really amazing. We disovered it's not a formulaic breakfast menu, the next morning we had eggs flourentine with Virginia ham, warm cinnamon grapefruit and crepes stuffed with blackberries and cream cheese. We didn't eat again until dinner.

I would definately go back to the Mark Addy. I have already recommended it to a handful of friends but don't tell too many people about this gem... I might not be able to get a reservation!

• Liked — The meals!
  • Disliked — The room
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank KRoq
Alexandria, Virginia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2006

My wife and I experienced the Mark Addy for our first wedding anniversary and it was something to remember...unfortunately not in a good way. It is sad to see such a beautiful house and surrounding grounds wasted.

A lack of hospitality permeated throughout the Inn and we never felt quite welcome. Although the room was clean, there was a lack of heat, especially when the temperature outside had fallen to 34 degrees. The breakfast was very simple and not gourmet as we were let to believe by the website and a telephone conversation when confirming our reservation. Just a plain breakfast that we could have received at any local diner in the area.

In conclusion, although the drive to the Mark Addy is quite spectacular during this season and the views are wonderful, in the end, we would have preferred another bed and breakfast or even a hotel room in Charlottesville. The heating problem combined with the low quality breakfast make this establishment overpriced and not worthy of its entry in the Select Registry of Distinguished Inns of North America.

• Liked — The views
  • Disliked — No heating
  • Tips/Secrets — Find another place
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled as a couple
24 Thank LMandSS
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nellysford
Residence Inn Waynesboro
Orchard House Bed and Breakfast
Iris Inn
Iris Inn
#1 of 6 in Waynesboro

Been to The Mark Addy? Share your experiences!