“Amazing Place and Owners” 5 of 5 bubbles

The Mark Addy
Ranked #1 of 1 Nellysford B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersSilver level
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Amazing Place and Owners”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2013

My Husband and I stayed for 2 nights and we really loved everything about this place
First -Amazing owners Thank you so much for all your smiles and accommodation in every way we asked for!
second-location is just so peaceful and green :) we took our bikes and did 11 miles that day
Fresh Farmers market was my favorite i got jar of REAL honey for the first time in years (being from Europe i know how the REAL honey looks and taste
and of course all the Vineries around you can not go wrong with this place
If you look for a fast getaway this is just as perfect as you wish
Its a Bed and Breakfast ppl so dont think you gonna walk into Four Season !!
Im so happy we found this place and we will be back for another retreat :)
Ania and Erik
Wash DC

Room Tip: if you planning on bringing dog pls let them know ahead of time
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
Norfolk, Virginia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2013

Pulling up to the Mark Addy our first impression was that it looked a bit tatty, peeling house paint and old, ill fitting window airconditioners. Things went downhill from there. Several rings of the bell brought one of the inkeepers who showed us the downstairs area,including the guests' kitchen featuring a rusted and dirty refigerator. Our room on the second floor had a "creative paint job" on the walls, a dripping portable air conditioner that sounded like a jet landing, and a small bathroom badly in need of cleaning (long hairs in the shower) and repair. The queen bed was so high it required a step ladder to get into. Needless to say, the step ladder (or anything else which could be used) was missing. Oh yes, the room and hall smelled like someone was smoking a lot nearby. The whole house reeked of cigarettes.

The Makk Addy does not deserve the accolades given by other revierwers and badly needs maintanence, renovation and upgrading.

We noticed many of the accolades concerning this inn were from several years ago before the current owners took over.

Bottom Line: DO NOT STAY HERE!

11 Thank Marcella Z
RafaelTal, Owner at The Mark Addy, responded to this review, August 1, 2013
Dear Marcella,

We are sorry you did not enjoy your stay with us and I would like to address your issues. 1st of all, regarding your statement that “many of the accolades concerning this inn were from several years ago before the current owners took over.” … The “current” owners have owned The Mark Addy since February 2006 . There are 132 four and five star reviews and just 18 one and two star reviews (of which some are duplicates and from people who never stayed here). Doing the math, that says 88% of the reviewers loved us and 12 % didn’t like us at all. We all know that there is no way to please everyone, but these stats are indicative of our continued effort to strive for every guest to be happy and our inn to be inviting, comfortable and aesthetically pleasing.
Next – the complaint about the “peeling paint”. We recently replaced 42 windows for the comfort of our customers. All of the trim around the windows was scraped for repainting and then the rain came….for 6 weeks we had 2 days of no rain and could not paint the trim. I am truly sorry this hurt your eyes, but a b&b is always a work in progress and since we are a 2 man band, we need to make our priorities. We thought replacing the windows was more important for the comfort of our guests than replacing a refrigerator that functions excellently (and is NOT dirty) but had a few rust spots. (FYI – the fridge was painted last week). Regarding the window air conditioners; I agree – I don’t particularly like how they look either, but after 5 years of using the central air and being unable to accommodate everyone’s different preferences with regard to the temperature in their room, we put in the window units so that each guest can have their own control. People are MUCH happier with individual controlled units from May through August. Regarding the bed, we DO have steps for the high Victorian bed. They are in the corner to your left as you enter the room and I’m so sorry you missed them.

We rarely have complaints about the cleanliness of our guest bathrooms but I suppose it is possible that the innkeeper on duty the day of your arrival didn’t catch a housekeeping error, and for this I do truly apologize as it is unacceptable.

Perhaps you would have been better off to choose a room that did not have a shared balcony porch in which smoking is allowed….this probably would have resolved your complaint about the smell of smoke.

Lastly, I am sorry that you had to ring the bell a few times. When you had not arrived 60 minutes past your scheduled arrival time, I ran up to the laundry room to do some laundry. Inn keepers simply cannot afford “sit around / wait around” time” but, alas – you see the bell works! I heard it and came right away. (sorry it took 2 minutes to get down 2 levels, it’s a big house)
Roanoke, Virginia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2013

We were trying to figure out where to go for a romantic getaway this summer, and a Groupon advertising this property was advertised. It was for two nights for the price of one, any room you wanted (including deluxe rooms) with two three-course gourmet breakfasts, wine ,chocolate, and winery discounts. It sounded good, so we bought in.

Buyer beware: the "winery coupons" package deal does not allow for free tastings--just a few 10% off coupons at the local wineries, some of which charge $1/glass of wine to taste. The Mark Addy made it appear through their Groupon lingo that you'd be getting a bundle of free tastings to enjoy the area wineries and breweries. Not so. The chocolates in our room were nothing more than 4 Lindnors. We didn't really get what we thought we signed up for regarding the 'discounts.' They were meager at best. Better than nothing I suppose, if you want to look at the bright side...?

The breakfast wasn't gourmet. Nothing is gourmet about store-bought muffins and croissants, of which you are only offered a half-serving. In the height of summer, they didn't think to serve seasonal fruit?!! There are many farms in the area they tell you about in the room brochure, so it's not like they couldn't get any (and for a great price). Local seasonal fruit would have been a wise choice. Oatmeal and grits do not seem "gourmet." The three courses could have all been served on one plate. We were disappointed, would have rather gone out to eat breakfast somewhere. The horrifying MuZak playing the the dining room surely did not ADD to our experience.

The parrot screams though the night and our pet-friendly room had evidence of pets via the dander on our bedspread. Gross. There was also an overwhelming smell of bleach in the bathroom, which might have indicated cleanliness except for the hairs at the drain. The housekeeper did not think to wipe down the water marks splashed everywhere in the tub either. It sounded like the people upstairs were moving furniture around in the evenings and we could hear the owners and staff having personal conversations from our room, which was a little unsettling.

Leslie was polite but distracted and I don't think her husband ever even spoke to us in spite of our attempts to engage him in conversation about their dogs. The most enjoyable staff member was the newer girl from Canada who had a lovely accent and a nice disposition. She was very laid-back and friendly.

The location of the inn is quite pretty. There are plenty of things to see and do in spite of the fact that this is a rural area. So, for the location alone, I can't rate this as a terrible experience. Our bed was really comfortable but we would have slept better if it was quieter. I am puzzled about all of the outstanding reviews, since this was definitely not our experience. We did not feel comfortable bringing up these things with the owners, since it was just for two nights and we just tried to spend as much time as possible away from the inn....we didn't really WANT to do this, initially, we wanted to try a few wineries and then come back and relax and enjoy the place we shelled so much out for. I wish we had looked into this property before jumping into a Groupon deal. We know better for next time.

10 Thank JenMc6947
Arlington, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2013

What could have ended up being a very bad experience turned out to be an incredible one. Due to a personal emergency, I had to cancel my reservation after the normal 15-day notice period. Leslie was incredibly helpful in finding a way to reimburse my stay. In the end, I opted for a voucher for a weekend stay at a later date. That ended up being the best decision because this place is an oasis and I would have missed out had I not returned. My friend and I stayed in the Schloss room and Leslie explained the history of the Inn. It is an amazing piece of history. The breakfast was fantastic and extremely filling. We did the wine tasting and scavenger hunt, which was a lot of fun. The surroundings were beautiful and the Inn was peaceful. The perfect getaway for city folks! Plus, we had a pet join us for the weekend and the staff was incredibly helpful. We felt like we were at home surrounded by old friends and family. I highly recommend the Mark Addy for those who love good food, good company, and unparalleled customer service. Leslie and Tal (and their super friendly staff) are the ultimate hosts. I definitely plan to come back and have already told others about the Inn. This is a must see!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Lewes, Delaware
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2013

I enjoy B&B's more than my wife. She needs a place where she can relax. The service is excellent but not over-bearing. You can just chill out on the spacious porch. If anything is needed the staff is there to help. Just what we enjoy - a place to relax and be left alone and staff there to help if needed.
The room was spectacular and immaculate. It was one of their pet friendly rooms but there was no evidence of pet hair or dander in the room.
The fresh breakfast, including eggs from chickens raised on the site, was a real treat.
If you are looking for a place to relax and chill out for a couple of days, my wife and I recommend the Mark Addy

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2013

To start, the young lady who checked us in was very pleasant, but very tentative and did not offer much information. She seemed uncomfortable with the task. I cannot really address the hosts as we really saw very little of them. I think I only saw Leslie one time and Rafi was either working (as chef, we most often saw him in the dining room). Perhaps it is the sheer size of the establishment (I believe they have 10 rooms--a lot for a B & B), but it felt rather impersonal. I will say that we are handicapped and the staff was willing and helpful whenever they were around. This is a lovely old property, but rather like a grand dame of the human variety, slipping a little. We stayed on the second floor because of the recliners in The Colonel as we sleep better sitting up, but would have been thrilled to have them available on the first floor so that we didn't have to deal with the stairs. We had 2 breakfasts and one dinner. The food was fine, but not really gourmet. The evening meal was good, but I felt it was expensive for what was offered. I know that not everyone drinks carbonated beverages, but I would have appreciated their being offered at least in the dining room. The outdoor porches were lovely (although again, needing some TLC) but the furniture needed some updating. Our room was lovely--and again, those of us with mobility issues appreciate alternative sleeping options. On the whole, a lovely get away

1 Thank Leevilsnanny
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2013 via mobile

Our room was beautiful, no doubt. Large, comfy bed, great tub in the bathroom. However, even though this is a pet-friendly room, it was barely cleaned from the last pet guest: white hairs were ALL OVER the chaise lounge and the throw pillows. A DustBuster or a hose attachment to a vacuum could take care of that, easily. Also, the Tiger Lily room, billed as a romantic, private room, is right beside the office-- guests can enjoy listening to business calls, loads of personal calls, and other guests checking in and out throughout the day. Not very quiet.

The porch seems to be the hangout for staff and owners; we wanted to sit out there and enjoy the amazingly gorgeous views, but felt like we were intruding and unwanted out on the porch.

Breakfast is in no way, shape, or form "gourmet." It is somewhat tasty--very good oatmeal--but this half muffin thing is ridiculous and the three courses are as follows: fruit, half a bread item, hot cereal and proteins on the plate. The Chopped judges would call out the overlooked eggs, sloppy seasonings, frozen blueberries (in July!), and the lack of water. There is no water available with breakfast.

The two dogs are super cute, not sure that it meets OSHA standards to have them roaming around the dining area, however.

The place has excellent potential. The bones of the building are good, but there is visible wear on the exterior (paint needed) and some of the lawn furniture looks old, worn, and dirty. Wallpaper is peeling in the dining room. The male owner does a lot of porch sitting when he could be sprucing up the place.

If you are dying to stay at a b-n-b in the area, get a Living Social deal or Groupon for this place, since the location is great and the rooms are gigantic and lovely, with comfy beds. However, it's a crime to pay full price for these rooms when you consider the cleanliness issues, sub-par breakfast, lack of privacy and noise issues, and the whole unwelcome on the porch thing.

• Stayed July 2013
8 Thank Punky9791
RafaelTal, Owner at The Mark Addy, responded to this review, July 12, 2013
Dear Punky 9791
We are truly sorry that you did not thoroughly enjoy your stay. I will take 2 items in your review as constructive criticism and strive to improve. I take responsibility for the dog hair as we were training a new housekeeper and should have checked more thoroughly behind her after she cleaned your room prior to check in. This is not typical and I so wish you would have mentioned it during your stay so I could have corrected it. Nevertheless, your assumption that the room has barely been cleaned from the last guest isn’t true, and since you elected to continue and stay in the room for 2 days WITHOUT mentioning it to any of our staff members puzzles me. The same applies to the room location and office activities. Again, I was training a new desk manager and the activity was not typical, but again, do wish you would have mentioned it as we had several rooms upstairs available that you could have moved to.
Perhaps this was your first Bed and Breakfast visit and it may not have occurred to you that even though you are a paying guest, you are still visiting someone else’s home, who is opening his house for you, offering his hospitality to you, and accepts you as a guest without any pre-conditions with his utmost hope that you will enjoy your stay as this is his pride and joy and source of income.
I am sorry you felt intruding and unwanted – unwarranted. The porch is a place for the owners (as they live in the house) and guests to mingle, visit and hangout. The people on the porch both evenings that you returned from dinner were not staff but other guests and you were invited to join us, but elected to decline and proceed to you room. Furthermore, if you did not like the company, you could have chosen any of the other 4 porches surrounding the house to enjoy the amazing gorgeous views in the dark.
The male owner which is being criticized for sitting on the porch (myself) deeply apologizes for not picking up the paint brush and sprucing the place up for you as he is crippled and handicapped, and unable to perform these tasks at this time. My sincere apology with some unsolicited advice: Never judge someone unless you have walked in their shoes for a mile. It would be like me accusing a pianist for not being able to read the clef notes and therefor playing with his right hand only, prior to realizing that he is an amputee.
I am also sorry you were the only one in the house for years who did not enjoy my cooking. Perhaps, I am spending too much time sitting on the porch; by the way after resting and recovering from the back injuries sustained from installing 42 new windows whose trim now need painting, instead of improving my cooking skills. (Unfortunately, due to the wet and rainy weather in the past 4 weeks we couldn’t finish the ‘sprucing’ of the place). I will be delighted to treat the chopped Judges for breakfast, hear what they have to say instead of you speaking on their behalf.
A better description of breakfast, or the way I (the chef) will describe it, will be as follows:
An assortment of fresh baked goods. (Muffins, Croissants, etc.). They are being cut in half to avoid waste, and offer variety but there is NO LIMIT to the amount of halves you can eat. Most normal sized people can only eat one but larger folks, such as you, sometimes want 2 or 3 and we always have them available
Selection of Coffee and tea. .
Fresh fruit dish.
The main plate which includes an egg dish, (Quiche, Soufflé or eggs benedict, sorry, but I do not serve any overlooked eggs?), served with homemade oatmeal, grits, yogurt, or potatoes, and a meat serving.
In addition we serve Orange juice and ICE WATER is always available and served daily on request. We DO NOT serve Cereal or sloppy seasoning, or whatever you meant by posting it.
The dogs live here and do have free roam of the house. We are inspected semiannually as well as randomly by the health department and I can assure you we always pass with flying colors. (OSHAs job, part of the Dept. of Labor, is to enforce labor standards of safety and health and has nothing to do with our dining room).
And last but not least, thanks for the advice suggesting future customer not to commit a crime and pay a full price, but rather buy a Groupon or Living Social deal – which is worth the price. After all you should know as you purchased a Groupon deal, and as such, what are you complaining about?
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nellysford
Residence Inn Waynesboro
#1 of 1 in Lovingston
Cabin Creekwood
Cabin Creekwood
#1 of 2 in Lyndhurst

Been to The Mark Addy? Share your experiences!