“Loved the Mark Addy.”

GreenLeadersSilver level
chicago
“Loved the Mark Addy.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2008

We went to Virginia to see friends and stayed at the Mark Addy. It was a beautiful bed and breakfast with breathtaking views. Just the drive up to the place was exciting. It's a very peaceful town and Mark Addy does a great job of making you feel comfortable. The hosts, Leslie and Raphael were wonderful hosts. Leslie gave us the tour as soon as we arrived and was very upfront with everything. You have to try the 3 course breakfasts! What a treat.
Of course, the room was just as nice. Our room had a private patio where it was semi-private.

Stayed April 2008

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
San Francisco Bay
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2008

The whole stay was fabulous from the moment we walked out of the rain into the foyer with a welcoming fire. The owners had fabulous information about the area and were more than happy to share when asked, but were not intrusive or overbearing in any way.
Our room was donned beautifully and made us feel right at home. The bathroom was clean and functional and we certainly used and enjoyed the Jacuzzi tub. Our room also had a shower that worked well. I mention it because I was impressed that the plumbing worked exceptionally, particularly for an old estate and we never ran out of hot water.
We found the breakfast to be substantial and imaginative and even found ourselves and the other guests pulling Raphael out of the kitchen to give us recipes, which he did happily.
We did eat dinner at the Inn and found the meal to be impeccable. Coming from the San Francisco Bay Area and being something of foodies ourselves, we often find ourselves disappointed by the fare at restaurants. The Fountain Room (the restaurant at the Inn) left us excited and sated. I had lamb chops cooked to perfection with fabulous accoutrement (the swirl of honey around the plate left me inspired). My husband had the Filet Mignon and we couldn’t decide which we liked more (a rarity).
Both Leslie and Raphael were accommodating, welcoming, and all around great inn keepers. We look forward to going back.

Stayed April 2008
VA, USA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2008

My husband and I visited the Mark Addy for a getaway and were disappointed. After visiting their website and having been to Charlottesville several times prior, we thought we had made a great choice. The property itself is just lovely and the view is gorgeous! It also has a close proximity to Charlottesville and wineries and other local activities. The house is cute and is approachable from the outside. However, once inside it was not what we were expecting. The front porch looked as though it had not been cleaned in a while- the furniture needed a good wiping down and there were a plethora of cigarette butts in the ashtrays that had not been emptied and were not emptied during our stay. The common room with television and library was disheveled and remained that way throughout the stay- not lending itself to being an inviting sitting space. The bedroom was disappointing and needed attention to simple upkeep repairs and proper dusting. The tip envelope was not appreciated- my husband and I tip very generously - even in countries where it is not encouraged and on all inclusive vacations as well, but will do so when warranted. The bathroom was large but the jacuzzi tub was the only means of bathing and the shower curtain that was touching the tub had black mildew on the bottom. There was a dirty dead plant literally sitting on the edge of the tub and those things did not entice us to sit down inside of the jacuzzi tub at all. We weren't really sure how other people took baths and "enjoyed the view" from the tub if people on the front lawn could see you while you were in it. There is a flat panel tv above the fireplace mantel in the bedroom, however you would expect to see a fireplace within the ornate mantel setting- electric or other and yet it was empty but there were tools next to the fireplace- it looked as though the fireplace was removed and never replaced. The breakfast was neither enticing nor creative, just mediocre. The three courses consisted of a muffin, fruit dish, and egg dish- not much more to say on this topic. As far as experience goes we have been to several B and B's in and around the Charlottesville area including the Inn at Sugar Hollow (which was fabulous). This place has potential with it's location and great view, however it's the attention to details that are missing. If you are looking for a place to stay and everything else nearby is booked then this will do, however you will pay 4 star prices for a 2 star place. With time and more honest reviews, we hope the Mark Addy will evolve and we would love to return in a few years to see that. We hope that the management will consider this as constuctive criticism and not a personal attack and take the time to improve their establishment. All in all, travelers learn from their experiences and each must judge for themselves - so good luck!

• Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
19 Thank sundaywife
Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2008

The Mark-Addy is an inn with all of the endearing characteristics of a hundred year old farmhouse, which it is. The wooden floors creak, the walls settle and crack, there are ten foot ceilings downstairs, porches all around and windowpanes with waves and bubbles!

All of the bedrooms are clean and beautifully and uniquely decorated with antiques and varying themes and color schemes and the bathrooms have been updated (I peeked in all of the rooms, except for one which was occupied, and they look just like what is displayed on their website). Plenty of reading materials is found in each room along with fresh flowers and chocolates. My husband and I stayed in the "Elena" room which afforded us the view of a bright sunrise off of the side porch and sitting room and a beautiful view of the sunset over the mountains and Wintergreen ski resort.

As for the meals, what can I say. Rafi is a quiet, accomplished cook and Leslie is a conscientious hostess who I overheard offering substitutes to patrons with food allergies, vegetarians and those who are just good old meat and potatos people. The breakfasts were anything but ordinary with wonderful smells, tastes and presentation. The Valentine dinner with champagne, freshly baked bread, appetizer, salad and entre was out of this world! The portions were perfect leaving room for dessert and coffee. The dining room was cozy, yet elegant with fresh roses and candlelight , linens, china, silver and crystal. All the while, we enjoyed the beautiful voice of Caycee as she sang and played musical instruments. What a perfect Valentine's evening!

The inn is not only home to the Tals, but also to two pooches named Freckles and Colby, several outdoor cats and a parrot. (Leslie, I think the parrot wants to entertain in the parlor.)

The inn offers beautiful views of the mountains and is close to many wineries, Wintergreen, Charlottesville and many antique shops. You can, also, take a brisk twenty minute walk down to the Rhodes Farm stables. The Mark-Addy is perfect for anyone who understands and is looking for the simple pleasures of the country and appreciates the personalities of old homes.

I am looking forward to returning with my girlfriends, sisters and mother. Thanks Rafi and Leslie for a very restful and romantic two days. Take care of Freckles!

• Liked — Everything!
  • Disliked — Nothing!
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Minihaha1960
Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2008

I was overrall very pleased with our stay. This was a surprise for my husband for Valentine's Day and we got the valentine package which was a fantastic deal. When you first pull up in the driveway you can't take your eye's away from the huge, gorgeous house. The pictures online are a little inaccurate to color but I think that is just the way it ended up. I thought the walls to my room were red and they weren't but that is something that is not a big deal.

I do reccommend to the owners to put up more pictures. Typically, when I see a B&B with only one picture of each room and no pictures of the house I skip the house.

The dining room is absolutely gorgeous. I loved the dining room. We stayed two nights so we had two breakfast and a supper. The breakfast was definately interesting because I am more of a typical breakfast eater so I had to step out of my comfort zone. It is not something I could eat everyday but I'm certainly glad I got to try it because I really enjoyed it. The supper was out of this world amazing. I had the Filit Mingion and I don't know what all was in it but the cook prepared it perfect for my taste and it was really juicy. My husband had the lamb which he had also enjoyed! We left that night very full and we really enjoyed the live entertainment by Kayce Magee.

The only thing I didn't like was that we had a shared porch and the reason we didn't like that was because we had a child in the room next to us and when we were trying to sleep the kid was running around on the porch. But, I choose the room and didn't realize it had a connected porch. So, that was my fault. The one thing I would recommend about that though is the door shades do not cover the whole door from side to side, it is long enough just not wide enough so you really had to watch where you changed in the room because the could see in from the porch. So, I would recommend changing them.

The host Leslie, and Rafael was very friendly people. I very much enjoyed talking with them and getting to know there dogs Colby, and Freckles.

I just want to thank you so much for a wonderful weekend away we really needed that because we had a really long week and it turned out perfect. We couldn't have asked for anything better.

If anybody would like to see photos of the Mary Virginia room please let me know I will be gladly to email them to you.
(brandonandkylenesmithkin@yahoo.com)

• Liked — The location, food, people, prices.
  • Disliked — Connected balcony - I have nothing else I didn't like really
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Smithkin
Winston-Salem, NC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 9, 2007

The Mark Addy is a charming country inn built on a spacious green knoll with a lovely view of the Blue Ridge Mountain to the west. The original building is antebellum, but of course lots of modifications and additions have been made over the decades. No two guest rooms are alike, as our host, Leslie Tal, was happy to show us; but an attempt has been made to maximize the virtues of each room. We were fortunate enough to reserve a large room with windows on three sides and a flat-panel television, as well as a jacuzzi in the bathroom. For the promotional price of $90/night, we thought it was an amazing deal.

Leslie and her husband, Rafi (Rafael), have owned the inn for two years, so it's difficult to know which features are their idea and which ones they inherited. But no matter: we appreciated the wonderful bed, instant hot water, and the locally-sourced amenities.

We ate three dinners at the inn without beginning to feel deja vu. On the first night, Rafi cooked two of the best fillets we've ever had, preceded by a really wonderful lobster bisque. On the other nights we had salmon, lamb ribs, t-bone, and chicken-- all with tasty appetizers and pleasant green salads. For dessert one evening, Rafi prepared a Bavarian cream that was better than anything we've had in Germany. Meanwhile, Leslie was very friendly and attentive, which was impressive since she was the only server (except when Rafi lent a hand).

On our last night, Leslie and Rafi invited us down after dinner to share their Hanukkah observance. Rafi made potato latkes and said the ritual prayers in Hebrew, while their youngest son, Eli, lit the traditional candles. This was beyond hospitality.

In our experience (which is not inconsiderable), it's yourself you encounter when you travel. If the occasional dust bunny or dangling electrical cord is going to take all the pleasure out of a country weekend, then I would recommend sticking to modern, sanitized hotels. Just don't expect the management to invite you to share their family parties!

• Liked — The location, the cuisine, the owners, their cute family and dogs
  • Disliked — No individual control of guest room temperature, except by opening windows or doors
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Gargouille
Chevy Chase, Maryland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2007

We had such high expectations for this place - We enjoy our wine weekend in Charlottesville every year in the fall. The Mark Addy advertises itself to be much more than it actually is.

Unfortunately for $230 a night, the room was not clean, the porch was filthy, paint was peeling inside and out, the breakfast was only ok and not even decent coffee - when you think about what you are paying for the place, it is very disappointing. The owners were completely disinterested (and disheveled) and the place was quite shabby and that's not due to age but maintenance! We did not feel welcome, we felt as though we were a relative's home and they "had" to put up with us.

The staff helper was nice, but not very helpful - could not assist with directions or local recommendations. Of course we did our own research and knew where we wanted to go in general but it would have been helpful to have recommendations and should not be perceived as an unreasonable request.

And another thing they don't advertize is that the "guest" lounge with TV (and another one just sitting on the floor..) on the first floor appears to double as an employee's bedroom - yes, someone actually sleeps on the couch in there.

We were watching the sunset on the front porch on Saturday night (we are four non-smokers) and the owner, Rafi (the owner!) decided it was appropriate to sit out on the porch and smoke cigarettes not 10 feet away from us - that is unacceptable. Truly sad because the view is wonderful.

It was an unfortunate experience all around - the only thing that saved the weekend was the fact that we were with best friends and had wonderful dinners at Fleurie - great French downtown Charlottesville and Palladio at Barboursville Vineyards as well as wine tastings at the local vineyards. We attempted to dine at the Mark Addy on Friday night but the only fish entree on the menu was sold out, despite the fact that we were among the first diners that evening.

They mark up some wines they get from local vineyards as much as 100%. Just as an example, they have a dessert wine from Veritas vineyards which is not more that 5 miles from the Mark Addy, that sells for $50 at the vineyard. The Mark Addy charges $100 for the very same bottle. Of course I understand that there is always a markup on wine and liquor, but a 100% is unreasonable.

I took several pictures of the shabbiness and have posted a couple here because unfortunately, I do not think Leslie and Rafi (the owners) run a clean, hospitable B&B and think potential visitors should know that they are really not as advertised.

And they got $600 out of us.

Beware their website, the B&B is not what it purports itself to be. It is a great website, isn't it?

We stayed at the White Pig a couple of years ago and it was lovely.

Please feel free to click the "ask a question" button, I have other photos.

• Liked — The location and the view
  • Disliked — everything else, unfortunately
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled with friends
49 Thank KatG
RafaelTal, Owner, Innkeeper at The Mark Addy, responded to this review, November 27, 2007
Dear Ms. KatG,

The Mark Addy website is truthfully and accurately representing the Inn.
It is your opinion that the Mark Addy advertises itself to be much more than it actually is and that the website is not what it purports itself to be.

The Inn name is the Mark Addy, and it was named after the late Mr. Mark and Mrs. Adeline. Even so it was your opinion that the inn appeared to be shabby, there was no need for you to change its name.

You are mistaken by stating you paid $230.00 per night. The total amount paid by you for the 2 night stay was $435.22 which included a 2 night stay, dinner and wine.
Speaking of money, we never “got $600 out of you” as you stated.

Your description of the owners’ behavior, (my wife, Leslie and myself) is inaccurate. I personally witnessed my wife, on several occasions, engaging in conversation with you and your party, making outing suggestions, giving directions and even running (literally) after you at departure to return a well loved (as indicated by the wear and tear) hat that someone in your party had forgotten.

Furthermore, I would like to point your attention to our website where under the policies section it specifically states that smoking is permitted on the porches. I am sure that if you where so disturbed by the fact that I was smoking in a close proximity to you, for which I do apologize, you would have mentioned it to me, or, in the alternative, find yourself another place to perch smoke free. After all, the porch you refer to is 60 by 12 feet, we have 5 porches at the inn, and if this isn’t sufficient, the inn is situated on 12.44 acres.

Ms. KatG, when it comes to food criticism, I cannot argue with you. It is a simple question of taste and opinion. As the chef who oversees and prepares all foods served at the inn, I am taking the full responsibility to your dissatisfaction. The majority of our guests love our breakfast. I am sure that if you would have mentioned it when breakfast was served, we would have been able to accommodate your wishes. When it comes to the coffee, we have served this specialty brewed Greenberry’s coffee brand for the past 22 month, and had never had any complaint to its quality, on the contrary most guests rave about it and ask where they might be able to purchase it themselves.

Your complaint regarding the dinner experience at the Fountain Room, is unfortunate. The Fountain Room serves dinner by reservation only. You made your reservation without specifying any special dietary needs. You were the one of last parties to be seated that evening (11-14 out of 18 total) and, although 8 portions of salmon were prepared, we, unfortunately, sold out of Salmon. We pride ourselves in preparing and serving only fresh, made to order food. There was a wide selection of other entrees and seafood you could have chosen from, but you elected to leave our fine dining establishment despite the fact that another guests offered to change their order so that you could have the salmon.

It seems to me that you are all but a connoisseur or simply ignorant of some facts with regard to wine prices. First, it makes no different how close or far away the winery is. We, as a VABC establishment are obligated to purchase only from Bona Fide Wine distributors, which have their own price list for resellers. Second, a mark up of 100% for wine is a low average and common in the restaurant industry. We have no wine that sells for $100 per bottle. Our highest priced wine is a 2004 wine, which has won numerous awards and is completely sold out – even at the winery. Perhaps you are confusing this with the same 2005 wine which the winery sells for about $50 per bottle – Oh what a difference the year makes! I really do not see your reason to whine about the wine.

The parlor does not double as an employee bedroom. Again you are jumping into inaccurate conclusions. During the night you came back around or after midnight from dining out and opened the closed parlor door to find one of our guests (without consulting with us) had fallen asleep and spent the night on the sofa in the parlor. The fact is that by 7 am the parlor was available again for public use.

Your remarks as to the filthiness, the condition of the paint and the maintenance level are exaggerated.. The porch filthiness was due to the fall leaves, and the outside was freshly painted less than a year ago.

It is sad that the only pictures you chose to post are the ones you posted. Our website updates are less than a year old and the pictures on the site do accurately reflect the condition of the inn.

Removing a dresser, which is an antique piece of furniture permanently attached to the wall behind it under the pretense of looking for an outlet for a hairdryer while there are 12 available outlets in the room is a dull excuse.

Taking a close-up picture of a TV cable in the corner of the porch as well as a zoomed-in picture of one piece of chipped paint may indicates that these were the only things you were looking for during your stay.

In summary, The Mark Addy is a country inn, proud of its accomplishments and the service it provides which is appreciated by the majority of its guests as can be witnessed by the majority of the publications and reviews on websites and the in-room journals.

Finally, the Mark Addy is regularly being inspected by official entities and associations which have very high standards and by the Nelson County Health Department and has never encountered any trouble passing these inspections with flying colors.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nellysford
Residence Inn Waynesboro
Orchard House Bed and Breakfast
Iris Inn
Iris Inn
#1 of 6 in Waynesboro

Been to The Mark Addy? Share your experiences!