“A really good different wine experience”

Hill Top Berry Farm & Winery
More attraction details
Owner description: Located on the Nelson 151 Trail, Hill Top Berry Farm and Winery is nestled in the rolling hills of the Rockfish River Valley. Mountain views abound in every direction and the farm is beautiful and well maintained. Hill Top offers a unique wine tasting experience with True to the Fruit Wines and Authentic Honey Meads. Established in the 1990's, Hill Top is a second generation family business.
Reviewed October 14, 2013

I really enjoy the wines from this winery... instead of rows of grapes, it's a "vineyard" of berries that are transformed into delectable wines that are different on the palate that the norm. the wines are not too sweet (except the dessert wines), and some have a delicious tart flavor. I particularly like the peach and cranberry wines, and the strawberry wine is amazing with desserts, particularly drizzled over ice cream.

Reviewed August 30, 2013

Another great visit. The tasting room staff is always friendly and infrmative. I like the fact their current tasting selections are always changing, something different each time I come. I am usually not a berry and sweet wine drinker, my friends are so I usually bring them out to this place. They always LOVE it and I enjoy it as well. My favorite pourer is a younger girl who I believe to be part of the family. She is fantastic!

Reviewed August 28, 2013

Stopped by Hill Top Berry Farm & Winery during a visit to Nelson County. Hill Top does not have your usual wines. They make wines that are true to the fruit, not grape wine flavored with fruit juices and they make several meads as well. You might think that these offering would be really sweet, but that is not the case. With the apple wine you tasted the apple but it finished clean, as was the case with the blue berry wine. The meads were the same way, great taste without being too sweet. The man conducting the tasting was very knowledgeable and gave some historical background on the various meads produced. If you are looking for something different while visiting Nelson Co. you might want to check out Hill Top Berry Farm & Winery.

1  Thank onevagent
Reviewed August 15, 2013

I love sweet wines, so this place was great! And they were nice enough to waive the tasting fee if we bought some wine and we sure did! We also picked some blackberries, which were yummy!

1  Thank isabella1018
Reviewed August 12, 2013

The wines we tasted were average at best, but they were sold out of most of their fruit wines, which all sounded pretty good. They also make a lot of mead wines, which I'm not a big fan of. Nice tasting area, and a very large covered picnic area outdoors. I would try it again....when they have a new supply of the fruit wines!

Kimberly P, Owner at Hill Top Berry Farm & Winery, responded to this reviewResponded August 14, 2013

Thank you for visiting Hill Top Berry Farm and Winery and for taking time to write a review. I would like to mention that we make 25 different kinds of True to the Fruit wines and authentic honey meads. You really did not get here to late because you were able to taste eight different wines and meads. We never have everything in stock at one time and it would be too many to taste at one time if we did. We are constantly selling out of one thing and bottling something else so each time someone visits, the available wines can be different. Right now, we do have more meads in stock than fruit wines but sometimes it is the other way around. I hope you will visit again since it sounds like you prefer fruit wines to meads. The two blackberry wines that you tasted are in stock now because I try to time them with our you pick blackberry season. The dry one is getting ready to sell out now but we bottled more apple wine today. If you are a strawberry fan, we will be bottling our Sweet Vixen strawberry in about two weeks. Thanks again for visiting and please do come back.

Kimberly Allen Pugh