“A little pricey”

The Colonial Dining Room
Reviewed June 28, 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Natural Bridge Hotel. There are not many places to eat close by so we did have a couple of meals at The Colonial Dining Room. We ate a breakfast meal and dinner meal. The food was good, actually the dinner meal was excellent. The cost of the meals was a bit pricey but I do recommend you enjoy at least one dinner meal here and experience the elegance of this dining room.

There are newer reviews for The Colonial Dining Room

Reviewed June 11, 2014

As we were overnighting at the hotel, we thought we would also dine at their Colonial Dining Room, which is also open to the public. The dining room was nicely appointed and the menu featured a variety of southern appetizers and entrees. We chose to forego an appetizer and just have an entrée and dessert. My husband chose fresh local trout and I chose bourbon glazed pork chops. When our entrees arrived at the table, I almost laughed out loud as my dish was placed in front of me, waiting for more to arrive. My husband's plate had a decent size piece of trout atop rice and maybe a half cup measure of zucchini. There was double the white space on my plate than there was food! I literally had an ice cream scoop size plop of mashed potatoes, the half cup of zucchini, a quarter cup size scoop of what was supposed to be spoon bread and ONE boneless smoked pork chop that was one-half inch thick and at the most, four inches long by two inches wide (I am not joking about the size). I had to eat two dinner rolls to fill up. We shared a blackberry cobbler which was basically just cooked blackberries with the hint of a piece of crust. The hotel advertised a sumptuous breakfast buffet. NOT!! The next morning we were handed a menu from which to make selections. I asked, "is there no buffet?" To which our server responded, "not this morning." I said, "that is false advertising." And did not receive any type of response from her. We were permitted to order anything from this one page breakfast menu. My husband ordered The Hunt Breakfast, which included 2 eggs, meat choice, 2 large pancakes and grits. It was pretty substantial. I ordered fresh fruit and a ham and cheese omelette. While a decent size, the cook had burned one side of the omelette and tried to hide it by wrapping that part inside. My place setting also contained 2 spoons and no fork.

1  Thank UrbanMonkey48