Open today: 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM
We LOVED it!

Reviewed yesterday
14lannat
via mobile
Great place to visit for adults and kids

T N

1,260 results
All reviews bison wagon ride feed the animals safari park drive thru stick their heads feed buckets food buckets car window his head all ages zoo area laughed so hard car wash hold on tight large animals petting zoo
Reviewed yesterday via mobile

We got there as soon as they opened at 9am. Pretty much had the place to ourselves besides the everyday work of the zookeepers who went along with their business. It was great being able to drive through the one part without rushing. Those animals were crazy. We only got one bucket to feed them and boy did they want food. Never experienced something like that before. Somehow we missed the rhino but that could have been because we were being overwhelmed by the greedy animals. Wouldn't change it for the world though. When we got to the walkthrough area is when the reall fun happened. We could not believe that we could actually walk with kangaroos. Right after that was the budgies cage which I think was our favorite. They are so cute and have the coolest personalities. Definitely recommend buying some food for them. You won't regret it. The tiger territory was cool too. As soon as we walked up the one was stalking the the white one. I got alot of pictures of that. The wolves were lazy until my 3yo started her caterwauling. I believe they were worried about her like the instinct to protect the young. You could see it in their eyes. They were focused on her and followed her. So did one cheetah. The giraffes were the only ones that didn't want anything to do with us but I still got great pictures. This place takes excellent care of all their animals. You can tell they live and breath that place. I highly respect all the workers there. If you think the price is too high just think how much it costs them to run that place and to take care of all those animals. I honestly felt like we were in Jurassic park movie but with animals not dinosaurs. This was the best zoo experience we have ever had. I will rave about Virginia Safari Park until people tell me to shut up. I could only add 10 pictures but on Google maps I have more.

Reviewed 5 days ago

My wife and I went to the safari a few years ago and we liked it a lot. The park was clean and the animals were very friendly and approachable. Recently, we took our 10-month baby girl there and she had a great time when we first entered the park... until she felt asleep after keeping looking to the left then the right and back many times to see all kinds of animals. We drove around two times simply because the first round was not enough, we wanted to see the animals again.

Reviewed 5 days ago

My wife and I are both retired zoo people so we look at zoos we visit with a critical eye. The Virginia Safari Park was outstanding. The animals were well cared for and the facilities were well maintained. The staff was friendly, interactive and knowledgeable. The drive through park was a hoot! We chose not to buy a bucket of feed, but we were swarmed with animals anyway. The gang of llamas and other species at the front gate knew the pickings were easy as people entered the drive-through. They know how to grab the entire feed bucket out of the car! The park was gorgeous with trees adorned in their fall colors when we visited. The layout of the drive is excellent with steep hills and different viewing elevations. We had a great time!

Reviewed 1 week ago

An animal-loving friend and I decided to visit the Park and spent a Saturday there. What a Great Time we had! This is a MUST DO visit! There's a basic entrance fee and then you buy tubs of pellet food to feed the animals as you drive through the park. Be aware! They see you coming and come RIGHT UP TO YOUR WINDOW looking for food! Roll the window down but hold onto the tub with both hands! If you've never had a 2,000 pound bison try to stick his full head inside your car...well, this is your chance! There are llamas, ostriches, long-horn steer (I was afraid one of his horns might do some damage to my car but we were safe!). The pellets will go all over the inside of your car but that's half the fun! Pellets find their way into your hood and windshield wipers...and the animals slobber all over the car to eat the stray pellets. Save some of the tubs you buy ($4 each) for further up the hill. Those animals also appreciate the food but most people have used up the food in the starting area. You can pull your car over and just let them devour the food. They can also block the route and refuse to move. Either way it's so much fun! There's also a deck where you can buy food to feed the giraffes. Yes, they come right up to your hand and eat out of it! There's a place to buy some lunch and the food isn't bad at all. If you like, you can bring a picnic and eat in their outdoor covered pavilion. A large gift shop is, of course, on site. Get there when they first open -- it gets crowded quickly and a line of cars forms early. I would definitely do this again! I had quite a lot of pellets to clean out of my car and saliva was all over the windows and windshield. It just showed that we had lots of fun. The animals are very gentle and won't bite you. If you run out of food just leave your window rolled up. And go back to the gift shop and buy more! You can go through as many times as you like.

Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

We haven’t laughed so hard as a family as when we pulled up to begin our safari tour in our mini van and were swarmed by llamas, deer, moose, and bulls! We truly were enthralled as we slowly drove the path to see so many an animals, and have such close contact with them. Do follow the advice of the guided and let only adults hold the feed buckets, as some of the animals are STRONG! After the safari tour we did the zoo, which was also really nice and had a variety of animals we didn’t expect to see like tigers, giraffe, penguins, and a new born monkey. My kids aged 4, 8, 12, and 14 all had a great time. Perhaps the favorite was the budgie exhibit, where birds land on your arm and little feeding sticks. Kids enjoyed visiting the birds so much and I suggest buying each person a feeding stick to get the birds to land on you.

The only drawback was the admission was kind of steep, but, we were able to spend 3 hours here easily, and it really was an experience they’d never had before. I suggest checking it out for animal lovers.

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

My Little loved it, it was his first experience with that sort of park. The animals at the front were aggressive about the food, some looked malnourished and quite a few had visible sores/issues.

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

We got a brochure on our way to Lexington VA. It was nice to get up close to the animals. The llama's did not want to get away from the front of the car. They held us captive since you can buy a bucket of feed for the animals. You drive around in your own car and have all the animals come right up to the window. The enclosed cages near by were a good sight to see. Especially the budgies aka parakeets where you can go into their cage. Hundreds of birds. Great for the kids. Worth the trip when you are in the area.

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

We had a wonderful two hours at this park! Despite having traveled to the Natural Bridge area a number of times in recent years, I never thought about visiting the Virginia Safari Park. But on our latest visit (young senior couple), we thought it was worth doing based on all the excellent reviews I had read of it.

We visited on a weekday morning in late October and the park was mostly empty except for a few school groups. That meant that we were able to do the safari drive without cars either in front or behind us. That made for a much more enjoyable experience. We chose not to buy food to feed the animals because I did not want animals, particularly llamas, jutting their heads in the window and slobbering over the interior of the car. But this did not keep the animals from somewhat aggressively approaching the car and it was a bit difficult to drive around them. Personally, I wish that the park did not allow the feeding of animals just for this reason.

But once we ran the phalanx of llamas, we had a great drive through the safari portion of the park and saw LOTS of animals. The animals seemed to have plenty of room for roaming which I appreciated.

We then parked and walked through the rest of the park which we found to have a good variety of animals--monkeys, big cats, African animals and Australian animals. The signage to find the animals was very good. (We had been to the National Zoo in D.C. a couple days earlier and found the signage to the animals lacking.) While I wish the animals could all be in huge enclosures, I found the enclosures to be clean with plenty of "enrichment" activities for them. We loved the fact that, being a cool morning, the animals were active. And all the baby animals! There were baby monkeys, baby kangaroos, and even a baby rhino!

I would definitely return to the Virginia Safari Park.

Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

So I completely overlooked ticket prices online and didn't realize it was $22 per person and not car. We were in the area and didn't specifically come just for this so we ended up turning around. The idea is fabulous, the price....not so much!

1  Thank teachallen
Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

This was our daughters first trip for her 1st birthday. We all had a really good time, my wife and I had visited once before. It is a great place for people of all ages. The walk through zoo near the top has a good variety of animals goats, kangaroos, monkeys, tigers, giraffes etc. the birds were a lot of fun too make sure you get a couple of the sticks to feed them. When driving through the park go ahead and get as much food as possible and remember to save some for the end. It is very easy to go through the food to fast. Hang on the the food containers for dear life or they will get taken out of your hand. The llamas are funny because they will follow you when you try and stop feeding them.