“very fun afternnon”

Virginia Safari Park
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Drive along our 3 mile - 180 Acre natural park, viewing(and feeding) herds of free-roaming animals from your car, such as Antelope, Deer, Elk and Llamas! Walk through the 10-acre Safari Village and see Tigers, Cheetahs, Kangaroos, Primates, Reptiles, a wide variety of birds and much more! Don't forget to feed the giraffe and visit the petting barn! We're located in the Shenandoah Valley, a short day trip from Roanoke, Lynchburg, Staunton, Charlottesville, Richmond, Maryland and DC.
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Activities for older children, Wheelchair access, Bathroom facilities, Food available for purchase
Reviewed June 21, 2013

We really enjoyed our day. The drive with the animals is very cool, but the little zoo there is really very nice too. Lots of space for the animals and they seem well cared for and happy. Facilities were very nice and clean. Lunch was good on site. No complaints. To the few people who gave this place a bad rating, it's not their fault that you don't read their website rules and times. It is clearly stated that no pets may be permitted, and that closing time means closing time. It is stated in multiple places that the gates close well in advance of closing time to allow people to drive their "safari." Seems totally reasonable.

2  Thank jmag44
There are newer reviews for Virginia Safari Park

Reviewed June 18, 2013

Okay, so there's the entry fee where you buy your ticket and buckets of feed, but my 15 year old daughter and I were there on Father's Day Sunday 6/16/13 so I was given a bucket of feed for free. Very nice of them. And yes, you drive around looking for animals that were willing to eat in the hot afternoon sun, and therer were plenty of them. But after that's all said and done, I did NOT expect a rather decent sized zoo on the premises.

I don't know if the "Safari Village" is new or has been around since the inception of the business, but everything was so well layed out, the cages very clean, the animals and their descriptive placards very new looking, I was impressed. All the animals, while very hot this past Sunday, seemed overwhelmingly "happy," and actively engaged in play, foraging, and people-watching!

Oh, we did partake in a couple of frozen drinks at the base of the village. The "snack bar" was very new looking and the staff were very friendly and professional while inside the food preparation area looked clean and well kept as well.

Very fun place for families and singles of all ages, not to mention a great educational experience to boot!

Good job Virginia Safari Park! We'll definitely be back!

2  Thank vwbeetle72jellybeen
Reviewed June 16, 2013 via mobile

We all loved the drive through area! The animals looked healthy and kept well. They are in open fields with several areas for shelter and trees for shade. The camels are tricky...so keep a hold of your bucket!
There were many keepers along the drive and in vehicles throughout to keep tabs on the animals and are there if assistance is needed. The bathrooms are clean and there is a snack bar in the walking area of the park. With many things to do and see you could possibly make this a full day of fun at park. Brig your own lunch and enjoy it at the large picnic pavilion.

2  Thank TravlinwBoys
Reviewed June 10, 2013

Our primary reason for visiting the Shenandoah Valley was to go to Va Safari Park. We were not disappointed. If there was one draw back it was that we waited about 45 minutes to get through the gate. And after using the restrooms we were on our adventure. The animals are very friendly. They just wait for you to drive up. Then they pop their heads in your window to find something to eat. My daughter (22) and I just laughed the entire two hours we were driving through. Then we got out of the car to do the walk thru portion. And it was no less fun. She fed the giraffes. And the parakeet aviary is really a joy. The birds just pop on your "budgie" stick as soon as you walk thru the door. The tigers were very active the day we were there. Playing and making a lot of noise. Quite a few of the kangaroos had joeys in their pouches. It was so sweet. My daughter said she will never visit anther traditional zoo.

4  Thank L K
Reviewed June 10, 2013

Our 18 month old grand-baby is visiting and we had been trying to think of fun things to do and someone suggested this place and we are so glad they did. We got wonderful pictures and she had a blast- so did we! I felt like a little kid myself, the animals are so funny we laughed so much and enjoyed every minute! Being able to have a hands on experience with the animals in the protection of your car while being able to go at your own pace in your air-conditioning was amazing! We did the tractor ride too which was even better than in our car but I suggest doing both. The walk through area and feeding the Giraffe was just the icing on the cake. I almost forgot to mention feeding the birds, they fly right onto your hand to get on the sticks you buy and it truly does make you feel like a kid again! We are going to make this a yearly visit!

3  Thank mimi1971