“A very pleasant experience”

Natural Bridge Historic Hotel & Conference Center
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Natural Bridge
Reviewed August 20, 2008

My wife and I have just returned home yesterday from a three day, two night stay at the Natural Bridge hotel. We thoroughly enjoyed it. Our room (#102) was simple but adequate. Each evening we sat on old-fashioned rockers outside our room on the deeply-recessed porch, reading and visiting with people. The Sunday night buffet was delicious. My wife raved about the chicken. Service helpers were all very friendly.

The lodging rate was very reasonable and, for the price, our stay was a bargain. This is what people have to keep in mind. This is an inexpensive hotel in the mountains, not a luxury resort.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank Edward3005

Reviewed August 15, 2008

Where to begin, hotel is run down. Although it makes an impression when you round the corner and see it. Views are beautiful but everything else is a mess.

Food is overpriced and mediocre at best. Property is very shabby and needs repair. Wax Mus. is tacky, and the pool is now closed! Putt Putt Golf course is a joke but luckily not expensive. Everything just looks run down and cheap.

The bridge itself is gorgeous but don't waste your time for the "creation" show, boring.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank razzle67
Reviewed August 7, 2008

Hotel of Horrors
This place is too run down to qualify as a decent crack house. The front desk staff is unbelievably rude. The person who waited on me was irritable and appeared to have a bad case of meth mouth. The room smelled musty and moldy, the beds were old and lumpy, and the linens worn and faded, the AC didn't work and there were cockroaches in the bathroom. The pool and tennis courts have fallen into disrepair and are closed down. The grounds are covered with weeds and overgrown. The Toy Museum is not worth the time it takes to walk through. The Wax Museum has not been updated since the 70s. The Bridge was pretty, but the trail is also in disrepair, and half of the lights were burned out during the Drama of Creation Bridge show at night. The Indian Village was awesome. I've never seen anything like it. The kids loved it and played darts made with Turkey Feathers. The best part of the trip was "Foam Henge" which has received an award for the Tackiest Roadside Attraction in the USA. Foam Henge is a replica of Stone Henge made out of giant Styrofoam and it's free. Nothing at Natural Bridge Hotel was worth paying for ... keep driving!

Stayed: August 2008
1  Thank Medusa_8_Mobile
Reviewed July 29, 2008

We stayed at th Natural Bridge Hotel and completly enjoyed our visit. The lobby is open and pretty with plenty of seating while you wait to check in. The rooms were very clean and had everything we could ask for. The hotel is a little on the older side, but we felt like they did a wonderful job of updating it while still maintaining it's charm. We stayed in one of the rooms located in the hotel, not the patio or cottage rooms, and that seemed to be the best choice. We overheard some of the other guests speaking poorly about the other rooms. I know a big compliant with this hotel was the lack of a pool. My advice is to stay elsewhere if this is all you're looking for. We came to see the Natural Bridge and this hotel is directly across the street from that. Would stay again!

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank BrandNew1
Reviewed July 28, 2008

NATURAL BRIDGE HOTEL - Not so Natural

Recently, I had the unhappy experience of visiting "THE NATURAL BRIDGE HOTEL in Virginia. From their website, I expected an elegant hotel with some classic distinction and colonial charm. My first indication that I wasn't going to find this was when I looked at the condition of the grounds..and elegant colonial hotels are not surrounded by dead and/or dying flower beds, crab grass and weeds. Add to that the frayed and bleached out flags (true faded glory) on the front of the hotel and the area around the hotel looking about as unkept as a low budget motel. I should have just kept on going.

Checking in at the front desk was a nightmare full of rude desk clerks and then when I was finally able to get to my assigned room, finding out that the hotel has central air conditioning with no way to really control the temperature in my room. The beds were the old hard mattress style with bedding that definitely needs replacing. Two flat pillows added to the discomfort and when I called for more, they were never brought to the room for me.

The next morning I found that where I should have had a clean shower, I had a shower that still had hair from the last occupant and a dead cock roach next to the tub. After I dealt with that I went for breakfast, which was the only passable thing I can say for the place, the dining room help was the one bright spot in my stay.

I had planned to stay 3 nights, but when I realized the swimming pool has been permanently closed, the tennis courts torn down and there was no play ground for my children, I checked out and went to another hotel in Lexington.

My advise to people, stay far, far away from this place...I paid over $100. for my room and the only decent thing there was the view of the mountains.

Please if anyone else has had this kind of experience at the NATURAL BRIDGE HOTEL, I would encourage you to write here and reply to me.

Dee

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with family
2  Thank DeeDee2008
Reviewed July 23, 2008

Wonderful experience during our weekend stay. We visited all of the attractions and enjoyed the on-site dining room in the hotel. Room was very nice and checking in and out was easy. Will reccomend to friends for a weekend getaway. Gift shop was huge and had more than just souveniers to browse.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 22, 2008

We spent one night at this hotel. We had a balcony room which was spacious, clean and overlooked the attractions. Service was average. The pool was in another building across the street. We went and viewed it and was very nice. We didn’t have time to swim though. The buffed breakfast was awesome and was a great price for what was offered. The dining room is beautiful! The hotel is located at the area attractions – great for kids. Overall the hotel was a pleasant stay. Would stay there again.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled with family
#1 of 4 in Bedford
Comfort Inn Virginia Horse Center
14 mi away
Best Western Plus Inn at Hunt Ridge

Been to Natural Bridge Historic Hotel & Conference Center? Share your experiences!