“Sorta like a Monet painting”

Natural Bridge Historic Hotel & Conference Center
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Natural Bridge
Northern Cambria, Pennsylvania
“Sorta like a Monet painting”
Reviewed May 31, 2011

First off let me start this review by saying that the staff that I had the pleasure of working with at The Natural Bridge Hotel were very friendly and the view is incredible. This is about all I can say positive about the place.

I travel heavily and most of the time, I can overlook crappy kept rooms, or hotels that are showing their wear; but this one down right scared me. To be honest, I was sorta waiting for Jack Torrence from the Shinning to show up.

We arrived at the Natural Bridge Hotel relatively late but not horribly late (8pm) this was after a long crawl up 81-N after being caught in traffic due to some wack job deciding to kill his wife at Sheetz in Ronake previously in the day. The clerk at the front desk, was wonderfully accomodating. (Very helpful). She informed us of our rates for the rooms, and we decided to take a Patio Room.. (This ran us 94.00 with tax). I figured we were exhausted, and in the middle of nowhere; and we wanted to see the bridge in the am.
We took a chance. The main building was beautiful, and from the outside of the property the "Patio Rooms" looked fine. Also, for the price, I figured it must be okay.

All I can say is Oh My God!!!. We got to our room, and before I even opened the door on my room my neighbors, who apparently were suffering some sort of hearing disorder. were under the idea that everyone wanted to hear the religious station they were watching. I let it go. I figured, it's early it will all settle down. I will get back to them momentarily.

We got in the room. I turned around, no latch to the top lock on the door. I also tried to click the deadbolt. It wasn't moving. Once again, I figured; "Okay, I'm in the middle of nowhere, who's going to bother me". I then proceeded to open the door, the door would not open. I also shook the part of the lock that was on the door...it almost came off. My daughter and my mother were with me, I was concerned for their saftey. I then proceeded to call the front desk to ask if we could be moved to another room or someone could fix the door. The phone rang, and rang, and rang. Apparently, no-one works at the front desk after 8:30p. Eventually, I got the door back open.

The night got better. We decided it was time to watch TV. O heavens. This was a joke. They had a 15inch flat screen in the room. My laptop screen was bigger than it was. Good point, it did get good coverage and you did have a few selections to pick from.

I decided it was then time to head to the bathroom for a shower. The bathroom was big. This was a plus. Till I opened the shower and saw, it was a waterpick hand held shower attached to the top of a shower head. I tired to look for the positive. I was excited to see if I had great water pressure and lots of warm water. I did to my suprise, and then the cord decided to attack me. It seems that there was a hole in the cord.
I laughed it off, thinking I have stayed in worse places, chalk it up. I'm tired I will just try to go to bed.

Time for more fun and games with who I lovingly refered to as Jack & Diane, my neighbors. Apparently, they were smokers. We were told the rooms in the patio section were indeed "non-smoking". I am deathly allergic to cigerette smoke. To the point, it will create asthma attacks and I can smell it 2 blocks away. Well, Jack and Diane believed that the outisde patio section in front of our room was their own personal smoking section of the hotel. Long story short, the night was spent with them slaming their door, beer in hand and smoking cigs; all the while we were trying to sleep. At one point, I even asked them to please stop slamming the doors and move due to the allergy. My pleas were taken like mere burst of smoke they were creating with their cigs. Once again, I attempted to call the front desk and ask for assistance. Once again, the phone rang and rang and rang.

In the morning, I was never so happy to check out of this place. I said something to the staff at the front desk when I left and she informed me that someone is always at the front desk; she has no idea why the phone was never picked up. She also informed me that she would put a note on my account to let the mgr know my stay was less than perfect.

Why I think this place is sorta like a Monet painting? From far away, it's beautiful and regal and even majestic; but up close it's nothing but a bunch of dots.

Please email me jenickki@yahoo.com, if you have questions. I will be more than happy to answer them.

5 Thank Jacque S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (241)
Reviewed May 24, 2011

Our group of friends traveled here for a two night visit. The hotel staff coordinated a wonderful visit for us. The value for the price was excellent. Breakfast and attraction visits were included in the price of our balcony rooms. We dined in the Red Fox Tavern on our second evening. We were entertained by a local historian as we finished our gourmet dinner. Our Les Amis were so delighted by our dinner that we requested a meeting with the chefs to express our thanks. The hotel staff and the group events staff helped to coordinate a great trip. Be sure to include Lexington on your trip. The visitor center is an excellent source of information.

• Stayed May 2011
1 Thank Smalldrive
Arlington, Virginia
Reviewed May 15, 2011

This review is for the section of rooms that the hotel refers to as "Patio Rooms". According to their website, these rooms have the "Full room amenities as the main hotel", but I have found this to be completely untrue as far as cleanliness and upkeep of the room, or even things as simple as having a hairdryer.

At whatever price point, there are two basic things that a hotel should offer its guests. A clean room and a basic sense of security. At this price point, I expected that these basics would be fulfilled; unfortunately, I was completely disappointed.

The room we were given is disgusting. The bathroom is particularly appalling. There is mildew, mold and grime in the shower, on the walls, in the toilet...As if I needed any clues to the lack of cleaning in the room, there was a pair of men's underwear and a t-shirt hanging from the door handle. If housekeeping here isn't even capable of removing dirty clothing left behind from their previous guests, I highly doubt they spent any time actually cleaning the bathroom.

The bedroom part of the room was only slightly better. A window was left open in the room, and the AC was turned off, which meant that it was horribly humid in the room. I'm from VA, so I realize it gets humid here, but I would expect that the hotel, as a protocol, would keep the windows shut and the AC on so that guests could decide what was comfortable to them. As a result, everything in the room felt moist and sticky, from the dirty carpet to the dated, ripped bed coverings. The room needs a serious cleaning and new linens.

The most disturbing part of this whole ordeal is the with the security of the room. Yes, the door does lock when you close it. However, it was impossible to turn the deadbolt to offer any additional layer of room security. Also, the door "chain"/latch was broken.

To be fair, because we are traveling with a group, I did get to see rooms in the main hotel, and they seemed to be much better - clean, newer linens, doors that lock, etc. The hotel restaurant is decent (though expensive for the quality). However, they also have a staff that isn't particularly bright, and really not friendly.

Bottom line, don't stay here - and if you must, absolutely insist on having a guestroom in the main hotel.

2 Thank rrgghh11
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed May 10, 2011

My son and I spent a Saturday night at the Natural Bridge Hotel. We arrived just after three busloads of guests, so needless to say we were immediately delayed. The hotel seemed to have only one elevator, making it very time consuming for all the guests to reach their rooms. The buses were full of kids who were very loud throughout the evening running up and down the hallways. Later that evening there was a prom which made parking a bit of an adventure.
Breakfast at the dining room was very good and service was prompt and polite. The hotel is very convenient to the Natural Bridge and my son and I both enjoyed seeing that sight. We also checked out Foamhenge about 1 mile north on rt. 11. It was an interesting novelty, an exact replica of stonehenge made from styrofoam.
Overall the stay was very good, a bit pricey, but the location was great as was the service. I would probably stay here again.

1 Thank DPSmith_Pgh
Westland, MI
Reviewed May 7, 2011

This is a great hotel. The staff is very helpful and it is a good value. There are many attractions including the Natural Bridge (naturalbridgeva.com). I will definitely return when not on business so I can really enjoy what this property has to offer.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank nubear
Roanoke, Virginia
Reviewed January 4, 2011

We spend the night at Natural Bridge Hotel after a wonderful dinner and dance. The hotel is very clean and the staff was extremely nice. They had a band and champagne at midnight We had a delicious breakfast buffet the next morning. This is our second trip to the Bridge. We will return again. The only bad thing about our trip is that we had to leave.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank helm1
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed December 1, 2010

This hotel is, as others have noted, getting a little shabby. I would not have minded that so much but the service was terrible. At check-in time, a crabby woman at the front desk kept me waiting for a good 15 minutes while she argued with another customer on the phone. I was also a little put out that we had to pay so much for tickets to see the natural bridge itself (which is breathtakingl!) but I figured we would also get to see the recreated Monacan Native American Village (featured as a site attraction on the web site). Unfortunately, the Monacan Village was permanently closed, but nobody changed the web site. The service at the restaurant was equally bad (very slow although there were few people dining). And the food was terrible. The "Southern Fried Green Tomatoes on Cornbread" were obviously frozen and served on soggy white-bread toast (no cornbread in site).

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Best Western Plus Inn at Hunt Ridge
Sleep Inn & Suites
Sleep Inn & Suites
#5 of 16 in Lexington

Been to Natural Bridge Historic Hotel & Conference Center? Share your experiences!