Review of Natural Bridge Zoo

Natural Bridge Zoo
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: The Natural Bridge Zoo Park is and always has been privately owned and has never accepted any sort of federal, state, or local funding. The Natural Bridge Zoo opened its doors to the general public in 1972 and has been growing ever since. The main purpose for Natural Bridge Zoo has always been the propagation and rearing of threatened or endangered species. We try to offer students and the general public the opportunity to learn about the living animals, birds, and reptiles that share the earth with us. Many children have little or no contact with natural living things in their daily lives. While television programs are educational, there is nothing like standing next to a giraffe, getting nuzzled by a llama, hugging a baby dromedary camel, or gazing into the eyes of a huge white tiger to make you feel and appreciate our wonderful world of animals.
Reviewed August 17, 2014

Even though some of the animals were entertaining, it was a very depressing place to visit. The enclosures were poorly kept and very small. The Elephant ride was a joke, $6 for a walk in a small circle that lasted like 2 minutes. They give you the option to buy food to feed the animals, but don't tell you that the variety of animals you can feed are very limited. We had food left over and had to go back to the goats to get rid of it. The pictures that advertise it are deceiving. I would not go again or suggest it as a place to see. The bathroom facilities are disgusting.

5  Thank DiHt2014
in 24 reviews
in 19 reviews
in 7 reviews

Reviewed August 15, 2014

My family of 5 lives about an hour and half away. This was an awesome for my 10, 4, & 2 year-old, as well as my husband & myself. There are coupons at the rest stop on interstate. Prices are $12.00 – Adults
$ 10.00 – Senior Citizens (65 & older)
$ 8.00 – Children 3-12
FREE - Age 2 and Under
We also bought a bag of feed for $5. It was more than enough!!! At some of the monkeys if you have quarters they have different feed they will eat (reminded my husband of dog food.) You slide it down a tube. That was fun to watch so Bring Quarters!
All the animals are very friendly && you can tell they are well taken care of. No sick or lethargic animals. All have great personality & will interact with you if spoken kindly too.
They currently have two baby tigers which up to 4 people can pose with one tiger (you don't get to choose which one-the staff alternates them based on their temperament.) They are VERY playful! We watched them for a while, but passed on the photo. I did see some examples at the register & in my opinion it was worth the money for the memory. The photos looked really nice. This is a very quite zoo & surprisingly larger than I thought it would be from the outside. They also have a new parakeet walk-in in which you can purchase treat sticks & feed the birds. $1 a stick, but cash only so bring ones!!! Nice gift shop too! We will be back soon! If you're local they have membership passes, but I didn't know that until I just googled the prices for the review. We may get those when we go back.

2  Thank Brandi B
Reviewed August 13, 2014

I am glad I went to this zoo before reading the reviews. We went for the opportunity to spend 30 min (family of 4) with the tiger cubs. This was limited time opportunity as the cubs born end of May 2014 and will soon be too old to have one on one time with them. However, the gentleman who stays with you during the visit time clearly loves these cubs and all cats. The visit with the cubs was expensive ($300) but worth every penny for my family (my children are older teens and they loved this experience)! It was clear the entire time the cubs safety was the priority so we had to be careful and still and let the cubs come to us if they chose but there were plenty of toys to entice them. After the cubs, we wandered the rest of the zoo. I can understand why some would want to see the animals have larger enclosures but I can say that the care and love the employees have for the animals was definitely conveyed- this is not a sad backyard zoo as someone else said. The same gentleman who was with us during the cub visit, went into the mountain lion cage to clean it while we were there. That lion showed his affection for this man by laying on his platform and licking his head (grooming) when the man came up to him. If you own cats (or rather if you are owned by cats) you know they don't groom you unless they are feeling affectionate toward you. Same guy also went into the joffee (spelling?) cat cage and that little cat was incredibly affectionate toward him. To me, this counters the criticism I read about the zoo (again I didn't see those reviews until after we went). The tiger cubs were definitely the highlight for us but also loved having the kids get the experience of riding the elephant- not a very long ride, just a lap around a ring really, but sill unique experience. All in all, very glad we went.

3  Thank Ghm123
Reviewed August 13, 2014 via mobile

This zoo is very up close and personal, but it saddened me because the cages are soooooo small! My 3 year old loved it. You can feed half the animals. The animals are all ao close to you. We even got to feed the giraffe. We had a good time. I just wish the cages were bigger and better suited for the animals