WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of MacArthur Inn

MacArthur Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Narrows B&B and Inns
Greensboro, North Carolina
“This was a terrible experience”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2014

We stayed two nights and it was not good. There were bugs all in one of our beds (we had a suite, which was two adjoined rooms with a bathroom). The next morning, the owner was making breakfast and came out with food on his hands to change the TV and went right back to cooking. The most horrible was the second night we came home and they had stripped the bed we told them had bugs. All our things were moved to the second bedroom. No note was left, no bedding left. I had to search the hotel in the middle of the night for bedding. I found a linen closet and someone was sleeping in it. We received NO apology, no offer for refund or discount. It was a true nightmare. We would have left but we were attending a VT graduation and everything was booked! I would like to say it was quaint but it was creepy. The pictures must be from one or two rooms that may have been renovated because the hotel looks nothing like the sweet pictures. I can not in good faith recommend this unless you don't mind feeling a bit "unclean" while you are there. I can't imagine the kitchen is sanitary either.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
5 Thank Michelle S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Michigan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2014

Lots of potential but not up to the website's description. The place is NOT fully restored at least not recently nor was there a breakfast. Our bathroom had a pump hanging by the wires plugged in over the sink to supply water to other rooms which looked like it had been there for a while. Had to ask for cups, ice, washcloth. With tax the room was about $85. Some areas of the building look quite shabby, needing a scrub brush or paint. The only restaurant in Narrows is across the street but was closed on Mondays. We did enjoy the Memorial Day parade that marched nearby!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Bdweb
Blacksburg, VA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2014

Staying at the Macarthur Inn is a memorable and lovely experience. In terms of amenities, this is not a luxury hotel (at least not yet) and you have to consider what you are getting for the money. The rooms are clean and the price is definitely right. But the environment and the friendliness of the proprietor, Allen Neeley, exceeded all of my expectations. For the price of a budget hotel, there is a wonderful historic building with solid redwood columns in front and a grand piano inside. The place is spruced up for holiday and special events and there is a horse-drawn carriage. A wonderful breakfast is available for guests. But mostly, the proprietor, Allen Neeley, goes out of his way in friendliness and to make the stay an experience. I highly recommend a visit.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Molly L
Raleigh, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2014

Hospitality, history and a great breakfast, all in Narrows Virginia. I was hiking the App Trail and came off at Pearisburg to replenish and of course eat, shower and sleep. Finding all of the hotels in Pearisburg full due to an ongoing maintenance outage at a local plant I let google maps take me to the alternatives. The gentleman on the other end of the phone reflected that they did have a double and quoted a price In the conversation I mentioned I was hiking the trail, needed only one bed and would probably be on over. Before I could get another bite of my fajitas in and another swallow of beer my phone rings and its the deskman reporting they have a single bed room and a trail rate that beats AARP by 20 bucks. Guess where I slept that night. The GPS took me right to it and it look just as majestic in real life as on the google page. By the name you can guess it had some years on it but everything was in good shape and clean. It did take a bit of time for the hot water to get to the room but it was built in the time of central hot water heaters.
I parked around back without difficulty in the night, and was greeted by one of the friendliest guys you would want to meet. I will be surprised if he doesn't do reenactments or some sort of side hobby. As I filled out the check in card he walked down the hall to verify the heat was on an then gave me a brief rundown on the hotel history and who had slept there. I let you ask that question when you arrive. Very quiet, clean and just plain cozy like old small town hotels should be.
The best was yet to come the next morning: breakfast. The options I heard, no menu, were eggs anyway, ham, bacon or sausage and biscuits with or without gravy. It was better than home and I didn't have to wash the dishes. 6 bucks and all the coffee I could drink. I later found out that the cook/waitress is the daughter and the deskman is the owner. What a enjoyable pair.
I like to do bike rides as well as hike so I am going to make sure I route a ride through Narrows just so the wife and I can spend a night, enjoy breakfast and kick the tires another quaint Virginia town. I bet the area comes alive in the spring and fall.

Room Tip: My room fronted on the building and provided a better view than the parking lot out back.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
4 Thank MacM54
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 8, 2014

Stayed there several times, love it.... Allen Neely goes out of his way to please his guest... The people who wrote bad reviews are use to motel 6. This is a Country Inn, with very friendly, hospitable country folk who will take good care of you....

• Stayed April 2013
4 Thank Tommyd1967
Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2013

Our group of 3 couples was in the excursion area ringing in the 2013 New Year and we had the best time! Mr. Neeley was wonderfully friendly and helpful throughout our 3 night stay. He, along with housekeeping staff, asked multiple times what, if anything, we needed each day. We enjoyed breakfast at Blue Moon twice and ate phenomenally good food until we were stuffed blind - and the price was crazy reasonable! When we inquired about hiking trails, we got not only good directions, but also Mr. Neeley led us out there! The Inn, the owner, and the town all had a lot of character - clean, old, and real - rather than the cookie-cutter nature of the large chains. We'd come back in a heartbeat and will recommend to friends.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank Shannon G
Carrboro, North Carolina, United States
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2012

After reading the positive reviews on trip advisor we decided to stay at the MacArthur Inn after our trip to the New River Gorge. We were excited to stay at the historic inn and to visit thr nearby cascades the following day. The room was lacking in simple amenities such as kleenex, usable pillows(they were flat as a pancake), cups and hand towels. In the morning we realized there was not any hot water in our room. We tried to contact the front desk but no one was there. We called the number listed on the note and watched the front desk phone ring in front of us. We then realized we were the only people in the building and decided it was best to just get on with our day. This was at 9am on a Sunday. I don't feel that is an unreasonable time to expect someone from the inn to be available. Maybe the innkeeper was out of town-we were checked in by his friend upon our arrival around 9pm.
The poor service combined with the lack of amenities that make a place comfortable to stay, we will not be returning to inn.

• Stayed October 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank 614Cat
Also consider these accommodations in or near Narrows
Mountain Lake Lodge
Sleep Inn & Suites
#3 of 5 in Dublin
Hilton Garden Inn Blacksburg
The Inn at Virginia Tech & Skelton Conference Center

Been to MacArthur Inn? Share your experiences!