New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of MacArthur Inn

MacArthur Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Narrows B&B and Inns
Deltona, Florida
“MacArthur Inn...I love it!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2012

I just got married on New Years Eve at the MacArthur Inn, Narrows, Virginia. Friends and family joined us and filled up the first floor! Proprietor, Allen Neely, took personal care of everything!! On Sunday morning,French toast, biscuits and gravy in the dining room was home-cooked and delicious! The gracious staff was very helpful and during the week at the Blue Moon Coffee House and Emporium served good sandwiches and locals advised me where to fish on Wolf Creek and the New River for trout and muskie when I return in the summer. The old inn has been restored to its turn-of-the-century charm and the adjoining mountains offer great hiking and other activities. Surrounding rivers and tributaries beg to be kayaked and canoed. I used to go to northern Ontario to fish for Muskies. This summer I'm going to fill my stringer at the New River while I enjoy my stay at the MacArthur Inn!!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
      Location
      Rooms
3 Thank dbowman004

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
newport news
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2011

I had a wonderful weekend with my family. This is a great place for a large group to gather and has wonderfully accomadating staff. that will do anything to try and make you comfortable. We were able to be together in one place and gather as a family for the entire weekend. I must first say that I loved being with my family and greatly enjoyed it.
However, the facility is extremely lacking in mainanance and working facilities. I was given a room that I was told not to sit on the toilet seat unless I wanted to fall in the floor and was dirty and smelled like dirty laundry. l was also told that the person who rented the room, long term, had left the morning that I arrived and exited with the key to my room. My only comfort was the chain on the door and was quickly dismissed because it was attached to the wall with a paperclip! I also attempted to close the blinds on my window and thay promptly fell on my head.
I will further complain that my father is Physically Challenged and the room that he stayed in was far from accessible! The bed was so low to the ground that I would have a hard time getting out of it and I am a healthy 29 year old. Also the room was equipped with a bath tub and no step in shower, hardly handicapped accessible in my opinion. When asked, the Inn's owner offered to add some cinderblocks underneath the bed frame and jokingly laughed, needless to say my father was left to climb out of the bed with a walker with much difficulty. This is not a facility that i would recommend unless you are going the weekend of the haunted tour and beware of the haunting state of the facility.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank adrienne s
Roanoke, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2011

I stayed at the MacArthur Inn while waiting to close on the house I had purchased. When I first arrived in Narrows, I didn' t know anybody. By the time I left I had friends I continue to go back and visit. The owner of the Inn is very accommodating and will bend over backwards to meet the needs of the guests. I loved the way the common areas beg for staff and guests to socialize. i looked forward to sitting out on the big porch in the rocking chairs at night, watching the goings on of the small town. It's like being a big family. The Blue Moon across the street (also owned by same mgmt as the Inn) serves the best sausage gravy and biscuits I've ever had. Plus the girl who runs it, Paige, is both adorable and personable. Stay at the MacArthur Inn if you want to feel at home.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank ruthere04976
bassett va
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2011

I enjoyed socializing on the big front porch with former classmates, enjoyed Allen's homemade biscuits at the Blue Moon and loved my room #4. I enjoyed socializing and talking with Allens older brothers Jimbo and Tom. The staff was very helpful and also meet and chatted with Allen's cute daughter Patti. I plan to spend another weekend there in Sept with my classmates from 1963. Such a fun nostalgic weekend!!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Newport News, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2011

Had a wounderfull stay,great service, Next time in town I will stop in for the Ribs.
Arnold Vass -Newport News Va.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
Hinton, West Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2011

The owner and staff was wonerful. Every request was met with a smiling face. The breakfast was the BEST! There were 12 in our group who stayed here and not one of them had a complaint.
We highly recommend this place.

Room Tip: Each room is unique. None are the same.