“Our 10-year-old son LOVED Mt. Vernon's "National Treasure" Tour”

George Washington's Mount Vernon
Mount Vernon Admission Ticket
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Come share the fascinating moments of America’s first family with yours at George Washington’s Mount Vernon. Explore the beautiful mansion and grounds and get to know the man, the ideas and the values that founded a nation. Dive into history through action-packed theaters, fascinating exhibits and meet characters from Washington’s world. Admire the view of the peaceful Potomac, or hop on board a sightseeing cruise. It’s a place where history truly comes to life.
Wasatch Mountains
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Our 10-year-old son LOVED Mt. Vernon's "National Treasure" Tour”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2009

The new museum at George Washington's beloved Mount Vernon has much to offer the entire family, I love the grounds/gardens/home/farm/barns, but what made the day for my less easily impressed 10-year-old son was the ($5 extra) National Treasure tour. In the Disney movie (Nicolas Cage) National Treasure 2, Ben lures the president of the United States into the basement of Mt. Vernon, where they press a metal plate (really there) to open a secret tunnel passageway toward the Potomac. Our tour guide used photos from the movie filming to show what was and was not accurate, and how they filmed the movie without harming this important historical site. The arched brickwork storage rooms in the basement are there, with herringbone brick floors. Is there a tunnel? Yes, but it may not be where you expect. See it all and then rent the movie for further enjoyment. Mount Vernon is great!

9 Thank MtnLass

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Colorado
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Mt Vernon...A step into history”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2009

Want to make history come alive? Try Mt. Vernon Estate and Gardens. My husband and I enjoyed touring the estate this summer...what a gorgeous place. Be sure to include the tour of his home...the life of George Washington really becomes real. To think we were standing in the dining room where he entertained the likes of Thomas Jefferson, and saw the actual desk he wrote so many letters! I had to buy a biography and learn more about him right away!
I was surprised that some parts of the estate did not seem too friendly for the disabled or elderly. And rent a car from Washington DC...Not the metro ( it took us 2 hrs to get there using the public system)!

1 Thank Carlyraye
Nashville, TN
“A glimpse into the how Jefferson lived”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2009

I was visiting a friend in the DC area and wanted to do something outside the normal "touristy" activities. She suggested Mt. Vernon since she hadn't been there since she was young. We spent the entire afternoon wandering around the grounds and learning about the history of the plantation. Well worth your trip out there!

Kansas City, Missouri
“An enjoyable lesson in history and culture.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2009

We have visited Mt. Vernon twice now - both times with an 11 year old child. The way the estate tour is arranged it is easy to customize your experience based on your interests and energy level. Our most recent trip (April 2009) we took the National Treasure II tour. Very well done and great fun.
Wear comfortable shoes. Lots of walking involved.
Be sure to take in at least one of the narrated tours.

Maryland
49 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 73 helpful votes
“Wonderful, New, High Tech exhibits on our First President”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2009

The Mt. Vernon House website does not show how fabulous a tour this is. When my husband mentioned that we should take our 5 and 9 year old to visit Mt. Vernon, I wasn’t too excited. But, I can honestly say I was shocked with the education center. The exhibits outlined the choices George Washington had to make during both wars. The visuals they used were gorgeous. It was SO easy to understand. The interactive maps were state of the art. The three movies were interesting and informative. One even had chairs that moved around a little bit and bubbles that were supose to be snow falling from the ceiling as Washington was crossing the Delaware River. The grounds were gorgeous. The house was gorgeous. Their new baby pigs were cute. The tomb was neat. The only issue I had is that I felt rushed when it came to seeing the bedroom of George Washington and Martha. The hallway is so tight and the whole tour group has to fit in, then the next one comes in right behind you so you really can’t double back to look in because there physically is NO ROOM. I have SO MUCH respect for the personal sacrifices George Washington made for US victory in both wars. My five year old LOVED the Mt. Vernon Dollhouse in the discovery room in the Education center. I have seen most of the famous museums in DC and the surrounding areas, and this one was shockingly good. I think because these exhibits are so new and they look like they cost a fortune. Plan your trip here for a good 4 hours or more. There is plenty to see. The food court is wonderful. Arrive EARLY. At 9:45 am on a Saturday, we just walked right into the house for our tour. An hour later there was a good half hour or so wait to get into the house. Also, parking is so much better early in the day.

1 Thank OnVacationToday