“Skip the House Tour”

Mount Vernon Admission Ticket
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Come share the fascinating moments of America’s first family with yours at George Washington’s Mount Vernon. Explore the beautiful mansion and grounds and get to know the man, the ideas and the values that founded a nation. Dive into history through action-packed theaters, fascinating exhibits and meet characters from Washington’s world. Admire the view of the peaceful Potomac, or hop on board a sightseeing cruise. It’s a place where history truly comes to life.
Portland, Oregon
37 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 61 helpful votes
“Skip the House Tour”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2013

Beautiful plantation but the house tour was very disappointing. We lined up single file and walked through various rooms in the house hardly pausing at all and then we were just out of the house. Imagine a line of ants never stopping.

The gardens on the other hand were lovely and well worth the spent time exploring. Well marked outbuildings such as slave quarters, the overseers lodgings and the places where goods were made were easy to access as was Washington's tomb.

My advice is to skip the house tour and focus on the grounds or go in off season.

1 Thank Andrew C
RebeccaMV, Public Relations Manager at George Washington's Mount Vernon, responded to this review, June 21, 2013
Andrew, Thank you for visiting and for posting your review. I'm sorry that you were disappointed in the house tour. As the most visited historic home in America, Mount Vernon welcomes more than 1 million visitors each year, and many of them come during these peak spring and early summer months, just as you did. It is a challenge to provide strong content and interpretation inside the Mansion and accommodate such large numbers of visitors. Our museum and education center are designed to help cover more information, which we can't convey inside the Mansion, and I do hope you had time to explore those facilities. I'm glad you took time to explore the gardens and grounds, which are particularly inviting at this time of year. I hope you'll visit again someday, perhaps during a slower season, as you suggest, when you may not feel as rushed inside the house.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Florida
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Nice time, outdoor beauty plus history”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2013

Enjoyed approx 4 hours touring Mt Vernon. The grounds are impeccably maintained and relaxing to walk around and picture the Washington family living here. The employees/tour guides take pride in our country's history and it shows in the awesome job they do giving the history of the place. Mt Vernon is beautifully set on a hill overlooking the Potomac. families will enjoy the day as well as the historical aspects of the place. They do a good job of taking you back in time and have various videos and museums that speak to all ages.

Albany, New York, United States
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 39 helpful votes
“Worth the short drive to Mount Vernon”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2013

After visiting most of the major sites in DC, we took some time from Alexandria to Mount Vernon. It took about 20 minutes and it was easy driving. I would suggest getting there early and finding out the best time to tour the inside of the house as the line was long. Spending time on the grounds was beautiful and no lines- very well maintained. Gardens are beautiful. We sat through the video potion in the Visitor's Center and the video on President Washington was informative and well done (could have done without the intro piece). Kids enjoyed walking around the grounds as well as the search and find. If you have any walking restrictions I would not suggest strolling the grounds as they are hilly - otherwise a nice way to spend a few hours.

Visited May 2013
Salem, Oregon
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“A long interesting day and I need more time”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2013

I planned the whole day here and could have spent more, but the kids tired out. I was last here 15 years ago and much has improved. The welcome center is a nice start and the short film is a good introduction. The manor tour is requisite, but the formal dining room was in renovation and the poster photobug4727 was right about the slow shuffle, so I won't repeat it.
However, at one point General Washington came out and talked about himself a little and I learned more about him than in all my schooling. We also took the "dinner with the Washington's" tour. It was $5 per person extra, but made the whole trip worth it. We learned about the gardens, smokehouse, kitchen, and greenhouse. We also went under the Mansion. It was the best.
I would have liked to eat at Mt. Vernon Inn, but it was closed for a private party.Thankfully there was the food court that fueled us to keep going. (I would prefer a "real" meal, but...)
After 6 hours, we were ready to leave without seeing the educational exhibit. While I was getting directions to the grist mill, the family went in "for a minute" to see the dentures. But the exhibit hooked them and we took nearly another hour getting out. If we had not been so tired, I would have taken even more time.
As a hint, there is no food allowed on the grounds, but don't count on going back to the car for a snack. The parking lot is a long way from the historical grounds.
There seemed to be restrooms and drinking fountains every where. And the water wasn't bad.

Bucks County, PA
38 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 54 helpful votes
“Wow. Just do it.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2013

My eras of interest are the Civil War and WWII, but touring Mt. Vernon really made me more interested in the French & Indian and Revolutionary eras. We visited the Smithsonian the next day, and our time at Mt. Vernon helped me understand the French & Indian Wars exhibit there. Mt. Vernon has been faithfully recreated/refurbished to give you the absolute experience of having been there when our first president and his family occupied the magnificent estate. Each building has been throughly interpreted with historical context and furnishings. And don't miss a meal at the Mt. Vernon Inn before or after your visit -- great period food and costumed servers in gracious settings.