“Been to Washington many a time and missed this gem; my bad”

George Washington's Mount Vernon
Mount Vernon Admission Ticket
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Come share the fascinating moments of America’s first family with yours at George Washington’s Mount Vernon. Explore the beautiful mansion and grounds and get to know the man, the ideas and the values that founded a nation. Dive into history through action-packed theaters, fascinating exhibits and meet characters from Washington’s world. Admire the view of the peaceful Potomac, or hop on board a sightseeing cruise. It’s a place where history truly comes to life.
Cape Elizabeth, Maine
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Been to Washington many a time and missed this gem; my bad”
Reviewed April 18, 2013

I finally visited Mount Vernon and was very pleased to have done so. Somehow over the 50+ years of visiting DC I never made it there. Something about standing in a place where once George Washington stood sort of makes one feel small in the world. Took the Metro from DC and bus 101 not a bad trip all in all. Baby sheep were so cute, my daughter could have sat there all day.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Portland, Oregon
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 69 helpful votes
“Learned about George Washington”
Reviewed April 17, 2013

The estate is interesting and beautiful. It's cool to go inside the house and see most of the rooms, but it's a very quick tour that moves along fast. There were baby lambs down by the farm area. The grounds and views over the river are pretty. The order of your visit is controlled as you are guided first through the first visitor center, where there is at least one film to see. Next you go to the house tour, then you can walk all around the grounds (and spend as much time as you like). When you are done seeing all the grounds, gardens and slave quarters, etc., the path leads you to a fantastic and comprehensive museum. You could spend hours in here. We were running out of the time we allotted on this day trip, but we did manage to see some of the films in the (I believe) five little theaters that you come upon as you meander through this awesome museum. You might want to plan better than we did and allow for more time in the museum. There are also some gift shops and food available (looks like fast food). We didn't realize until later that night that there was a coupon for a few dollars off on our tourist map (the one from our hotel). We really enjoyed our visit to Mount Vernon and highly recommend it to others.

Orlando, Florida
29 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 124 helpful votes
“Ok, but not great.”
Reviewed April 16, 2013

It had been many years since I had been here. They have built a nice new welcome center, but one of the main rooms of the house is under renovation. I did go there on a rainy day, which might have made it worse, but I was a little disappointed. It has become too commercial.

Alton, Illinois
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“A Great Day Event”
Reviewed April 16, 2013

I had not heard of Mt Vernon until a co-worker suggested it while I was visiting the Washington D.C. area. My husband and I spent a good portion of a Saturday here and really enjoyed it! There were not long lines but that could be because it was March. There is a lot to do and see and the history is great! If you are able to walk a long distance, make sure and see the whole beautiful Estate! There are some farm animals and a blacksmith that kids would really enjoy. You are not allowed to take pictures in the house so we bought a $10 book that has pictures and descriptions of every room and place on the Estate. Worth the admission of $17 per adult!

Visited March 2013
Oak Park, Illinois
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Wow, just wow!”
Reviewed April 15, 2013

I was not planning on going here until a coworker told me it was a not-to-be-missed sight, and she was right! I rearranged my plans to come out early on a Saturday morning and was so happy I did... Yes, it's an expensive cab ride from DC, but it was so worth it, in my opinion. You could also cab or bus it to the Metro stop to save money, but I didn't have a lot of time. Beautifully maintained, very informative, and very relaxing... I would definitely try to come early on a sunny day, as I did. Make sure you wear comfortable walking shoes... And have lunch in the restaurant -- yum! They don't really have lockers, but they were kind enough to store my suitcase since I was going to the airport later... If you are a history geek, you will love this -- I want to come back with my kids...