“You can feed giraffes by hand!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Metro Richmond Zoo

Metro Richmond Zoo
Ranked #1 of 2 things to do in Moseley
More attraction details
Owner description: The Zoo opened to the public on April 22, 1995. Over the years, the Metro Richmond Zoo has grown to 120 acres. The Zoo is now home to over 2,000 animals, representing 180 different species from around the world.
Alpharetta, Georgia
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 44 helpful votes
“You can feed giraffes by hand!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2014

This is a fun day-trip and small enough to walk and visit within 1 to 3 hours, depending upon what you are there to do. My 9 and 11 year-old came along with me, and we were delighted.

Because it's a smaller zoo, the enclosures are smaller, but the animals seem to have enough space to move around in. It's kept up reasonably well, and there are plenty of exhibits to see. We really enjoyed the opportunity to hand-feed the giraffes (even a young one!) and the parakeets. We even were able to feed a few monkeys with the monkey food offered in a dispenser.

We really liked this zoo because we saw more animal activity than other zoos have had, and were able to observe the animals from a much closer vantage point than any other zoo. There are swinging chimpanzees, climbing and playful gorillas. You can pet and feed giraffes, and have parakeets land on a feeding stick to eat. The other fun thing is that there were TONS of babies -- young gorillas, apes, and many other monkeys, camels, bison, giraffes, and camels.

What we didn't like: There isn't a lot of shade, so make sure to bring a sun hat with you... it was HOT in June. Second, they really need to replace the clear plastic in many of the viewing areas -- we had to try hard to locate a place where it wasn't scratched up so badly that you couldn't see through it. This is true all throughout the zoo. Also, there was only one place to purchase lunch, and the lines were long, the menu very short, and prices very high. Luckily, we were able to buy sno-cones and be happy. They have a cute gift shop at the end.

Jacksonville, Florida
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“This Zoo Exceeds Expectations”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2014

I have visited this Zoo twice. Once in July 2013 and again this June 2014. Both times with my Grandson who is now 3 1/2. This zoo really does a nice job. I tend to be a little over sensitive when it comes to animals. I'm always worried that their lives are unhappy to provide entertainment for humans. I have not felt this way either visit. The zoo is clean and upbeat. Employees are all around cleaning and taking care of the animals.

My Grandson loved feeding the Giraffes and watching the penguins. I thought he would be afraid in the budgie cage but he had a blast and didn't want to leave. It's nice that there are areas where the visitors get hands on experiences with the animals instead of just walking and looking at them.

Of coarse his favorite was his icy cold blue and pink snow cone but, he's 3 1/2, so I 'm certain that's to be expected. It's a nice day for the price. I would definitely suggest this zoo to families looking for something to do where the children can run, get exercise and just be kids all while learning about animals and widening their knowledge of the world.

Salisbury, Maryland
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 28 helpful votes
“Nice Zoo”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2014

HOT, HOT day! Loved the snow cones/ice cream options. Loved bringing my own icy drinks.Purchased sky ride and a cup of zoo treats upon admission. My teenaged daughter LOVED feeding the giraffes and other animals. The sky ride was lots of fun too.

Greenville, South Carolina
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“New zipline course won't let you down”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2014

My husband and I took our 11 year old niece here on Saturday. We were a little unsure about it since it shares property with the Richmond Metro Zoo (which isn't very strong) but we were very pleasantly surprised. The staff was efficient and easy to understand when giving directions. There were two course options depending on the age of the kids. You start with a brief safety demonstration that only took about 15-20 minutes for our small group (6) that was there when they opened. Once trained they let you go...into the trees to do a high ropes/obstacle style course (they call them games) that included by our count 16 zip lines of varying lengths. The zip lines move from the forest, across the lake to the zoo side and finish with several zip lines over the actual zoo property. Overall it was a great experience and would recommend it anyone.

Virginia, United States
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“Wonderful small zoo”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2014

I have visited this zoo a few times over the past 10 years, and it is really growing up! We went this weekend and had an amazing visit, I would definately recommend this zoo to anyone who planned to be in the area.

I went this weekend with my two children (ages 10 DS and 8 DD) and my father (senior). The weather was in the high 70's, but the zoo is nicely shaded in most areas and there was a breeze that made the temperature feel perfect.

Highlights:
The giraffes are always exciting, you can feed them zoo provided pellets (fee $2/cup) right out of your hand. You can pet them and get an up-close experience. There were several young giraffes, and a baby who ran all across the field- oh yes, the giraffes have plenty of room to run, unlike some zoos that have very small enclosures.

We also had a fun experience in the bat house. A zookeeper was getting ready to feed the bats and sloths, so the lights were turned up and you could really see the bats. It was interesting to watch the bats walk around on the ceiling and interact with each other and the 2 sloths. My children really enjoyed watching the bats and sloths being fed, and it relieved a common fear many people have of these nocturnal animals.

Other observations and comments:

They added a Budgee feeding house that I feel could use some improvements- it was a safe environment for the birds, but somewhat frustrating for the visitors. The other Budgee feeding house I visited provided closer access to the bird's perches so you could try to entice the bird to your seed stick. These roped-off walkways were far from many of the perching areas and these birds didn't seem as comfortable with people.

The variety of monkeys is wonderful. Nice petting zoo area with hand sanitizing areas and bathroom close by. The lion enclosure is at an awkward angle and always difficult to see. We got to see a joey in a kangaroo's pouch - on my daughter's wish list for must sees! The birds were interesting and entertaining. Our favorite tiger passed away :( so there was only one tiger on display (they have 2 they rotate).

They've added a food concession with very reasonable prices ($2-6) and a basic menu (hot dog, nuggets, snowcone, smoothie, ice cream, soda). They also added a children's play space- an enclosure with climbing, sliding and other activities with only one way out which is a great idea.

Overall, it's a wonderful zoo with a nice variety. The walking is easy and the map is created in loops, so you don't miss anything.

Visited May 2014

Been to Metro Richmond Zoo? Share your experiences!