“A taste of yesteryear in the pristine Virginia mountains”
Review of Highland Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Monterey
Highland Inn
Ranked #2 of 8 Monterey B&B and Inns
Reviewed May 10, 2012

We have stayed here off and on for many years and would not stay anywhere else unless they did not have room for us. The public areas and guest rooms are beautifully appointed with period furnishings and the staff is a perfect match with the beauty of this historic inn as they provide warm and attentive service and treat you as family. The location is perfect as it is nestled in the Warm Springs Valley within walking distance of dining and shopping; but don't miss eating in their dining room and the very nice complimentary breakfast in the Black Sheep Tavern. "Carry me back to old Virginny"

Room Tip: The rooms in the back are quieter as they are away from the main street.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family

Reviewed November 1, 2011

A beautiful and lavishly appointed inn located in rural Virginia. When you open the door, it is like stepping back in time. There is a lot of history within the hotel and when it was in it's era hosted several notable guests like John Philip Sousa, Irving Berlin. The buffet was nice and well priced. The dining room was not open on my second night. Breakfast was self service but very nice and included homemade breads and muffins. There is not much to do in the immediate area so this is a secluded place to get away from it all, or if you brought a bike, you can take a very nice scenic ride on the roads. They keep a room of attraction information in the area which was helpful. The room i was in was set off the upper porch. The porch has rocking chairs and overlooks the Main Street. Nice for reading or talking. They also have internet access downstairs and wireless. There is no phone in the room and generally no cell service. They have a house phone that is free to call anywhere in the US which is nice. It is a long drive to get there and I arrived in the early evening just before the buffet was going to end. I was greeted by a cheery staff who told me to go in and have a seat. The buffet was nice and reasonable and about the only place in town to eat. The regular menu is not always available, but be prepared to spend city prices for that experience. The rooms are all on the second floor with no elevator. There are room fans, but no a/c for warmer days.The dining room is wheelchair accessible if you are coming to just eat dinner. The room I had was nicely decorated and on the smaller side as was the common thing of the time period. The bathroom was clean and the bed was comfortable. The bathroom shower worked well and the water hot. There is a coffee maker in the room and a small tv. The place is very quiet overnight. From that aspect, my stay was lovely. What was not lovely was realizing after I came up from dinner that my room was covered in dust that I could write my name on. It was an unfortunate thing to have to ask the desk person to come up and dust since I am asthmatic. She came right up and did most of it, but I felt badly asking her 15 minutes before she was off duty as it was so I didn't demand a full cleaning at that hour. The next morning, I had to use my inhaler for the first time in several weeks. Clearly the issue was that the room had not been used as even the alarm clock had dust on it and the dust was not disturbed. I believe what happened is that I was given a room that had not been used for a period of time and the dust settled. I had asked for a room closest to the stairs and that was it. The Housekeeper became offended when I told her about the dust in the room. She said it had been her days off prior to my arrival. She did a thorough cleaning job and my second night was better as she also vacuumed at my request. The staff I encountered were all gracious and helpful. However, the manager upon my checkout was not so cordial about the situation insisting that I should have perhaps left that night if it was so dirty. (in the middle of nowhere at 9pm? Really?) That it had been rented just one week prior and that pretty much I had alot of nerve asking for a partial refund from my 2 night stay. (I asked for $50 back from my $250 bill. She gave me $5 back and as insulting as that was, I took it and left. She accused me of blackmailing her when I let her know I would be writing this review. When you travel, you expect a clean room, good service, and a pleasant experience. To have to haggle over the dusty room and griping that she was going to have to pay the website 30% of my rate back to them did not leave me with an image of a gracious host. What I think should have happened on the FIRST night is not recommending I leave, but offering me another room since they were pretty empty. I was so tired that first night that I didn't think of it. But given their extensive experience running this lovely place, that should have been the response. I would consider staying here again because I believe that it was an isolated incident. I just think it could have been handled better by the management. Especially if you read other reviews, I am not the first person to complain about a dusty room.

Room Tip: There are different sizes of rooms available for an additional cost if you want more lavish accommod...
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo
9  Thank Genny164
Roadmaster96, Owner at Highland Inn, responded to this reviewResponded November 4, 2011

This guest perceived a small problem and the staff immediately took care of it to her satisfaction. Two days later at check out, she asked for $50 to keep quiet about it in her review.

The guest mentioned dust in her room. The Innkeeper went upstairs to dust the room and the guest expressed she was satisfied. The Innkeeper was concerned that she only found a small amount of dust on one of the three lamps. She let the owner know because she thought it was strange. We had the housekeeper go over the room in detail the next morning. The room had been rented three days previously and we re-dust rooms on any expected arrivals. If we had been unable to address her problem, we certainly would have considered a refund.

Reviewed October 31, 2011

I love staying at this hotel. The staff is really friendly and accommodating. The food is great! I had the maple pork and it was so tender, top quality.

The rooms are quirky, it's an older place, it's historic, you should expect that. Our room was comfortable, warm, the shower worked great, we had a coffee maker too.

I love the common areas too, they're very comfortable. This was a great place to go with a group. We were there with a group of MINI Cooper owners and we all felt right at home. When the weather is nice, hang out on the porch.

We've been for two years and are coming back again.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank Alicyn
Reviewed June 11, 2011

We spent 3 days at the Highland Inn for a family reunion with friends. It was a perfect location in beautiful country. The hospitality and restaurant exceeded our expectations. The rooms are very clean and quaint.

Great value for the price.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank Rcota50
Reviewed May 26, 2011

This is a historic hotel. I fully understood It was not going to have the amenities of a modern hotel but hoped it would make up for it with charm. Instead, It fell very short.
My room needed paint badly. It was creepy. The bed was small and lumpy. The decorating was very eighties with fragments of wall paper boarders, old junk tv, and dusty knick-knacks. Huge gross hair tumbleweeds in the bathroom shampoo basket.
I tried to go to restaurant. I walked into the loud packed dining room and no one greeted or seated me. I finally just sat down. Someone eventually came over and told me that the restaurant was closed. I was stuck in my room eating depressing gas station food listening to all the other guests and the hotel employees eating, drinking, and partying in the restaurant till late into the night, many hours after my attempt to be served. It was weird and rude.
I am a happy-go lucky traveler. I love quirky old hotels! This one just made me sad.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled on business
4  Thank MotorGypsy
Roadmaster96, Owner at Highland Inn, responded to this reviewResponded June 3, 2011

We truly are sorry that a guest did not enjoy their stay. But since a specific incident was mention we believe it best to respond to it specifically.

I admit the one wall picture does not look very flattering when taken with a flash, paint repairs show up. The other two pictures are representative of what our smaller rooms look like if you take a picture with hardly any of the lights on. The room does have three lamps, one on each side of the bed and one on the dresser. You may wish to compare it to a lighted picture on our website. We don’t doctor them. There are also pictures of some of our larger rooms if you don’t mind paying a little more. If a guest says they are on government business, the reduced rate allows them just the smaller rooms.

When rooms this size were built in the early 1900’s they were pretty much just used to sleep in. Most guests would use the downstairs parlor or spend their time on the long balcony outside. But we add things that most people prefer to have in modern times. We do have TV’s, coffee makers and bathrooms added to all our rooms, even the smallest ones. TV’s have a remote although the station choice out here is very limited.

The guest is also somewhat correct regarding their restaurant experience. We stop seating at 8pm and place a closed sign on the door. Since I was with the group she alluded to, I am able to speak first hand of the situation. A guest did come to the door after we had closed. The person stood in the door for a few seconds and left. We would not have had a staff member watching the door if we were already closed. Although the guest was at the door, they did not sit and were not asked to leave. We did still have patrons eating who had come in before closing time. I thought the person had read the closed sign but I got up anyway and went to the lobby to see if they needed assistance. I did not see anyone in the lobby so I returned to my group. It happens often that patrons and guests like to explore our public areas and restaurant so I did not think this person was doing more than looking around.

The people the guest referred to were not employees but were also guests. Our staff does not “party” at the Inn. Although my brother lives in Alexandria, he arranged for some friends from California and North Carolina to visit him and stay at our Inn. He did this knowing that the economic times are difficult and April was a great time to drum up some business for us. We were glad for the visit and when they invited us to join them for dinner, my wife and I were pleased to accept, providing they could wait until it was almost closing time for the restaurant.

My wife and I do think it was important for our dinner guests to have an enjoyable time, and did make special arrangements for them to visit together afterwards in the Tavern. We would have certainly tried to address any concerns this guest had as well, if we knew they were in any way unhappy. Although we are small and staff might have multiple duties, we do have phones on all floors and at the front desk that automatically call the staff member on duty. Within moments we can be present to assist any guest.

Reviewed October 24, 2010

The Highland is still an exceptional place. I swear I feel like I'm stepping into my Grandmothers house when I walk through the doors of the Inn. It has an amazing comfortable feel to the place. I was there with a group of MINI Cooper owners and this was our second year at the Inn. The staff is amazing to work with and was very acommodating. The food is a treat as well. Chef Lisa's Trout is simply amazing. Like I said before, you can have all those stuffy, high priced hotels. I'll take the Highland anytine!

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank maacodale
Reviewed October 20, 2010

We love coming to the Highland Inn every March for the Maple Festival as a family. This is a very special place since my husband and I met there in our singles group back in Nov of 1988. We come every year to the Maple Festival as well as trying to come in Oct to see the fall colors. My husband and I spent our honeymoon at the Hotel & they had a bottle of champagne waiting for us when we got there. :^) Every Jan we celebrate our anniversary by staying at the Inn. The Inn was our weekend get-away that helped me to de-stress when we were going through a difficult time with my mother and having to get her house ready to go on the market. If it wasn't for the Inn, I think I would have gone insane. Monterey is a small town, only 1 block by 2 blocks but it's so peaceful, quiet and beautiful! Everyone knows everyone and says "hi, how ya doing?" We've been snowed in on several occasions and good thing everything is in walking distance. Chef Lisa makes the best dinners and it's the only place I will order my Rainbow Trout! Our son is Autistic and when Chef Lisa knows we are coming, she always has pasta ready for Evan. There are different things to do if one wants to stay busy...our son loves feeding the trout at the trout farm about 5 minutes down the road, there's hiking trails, visit one of the maple sugar camps, or going to Hot Springs to ski in the winter or just to shop. We like to just chill out when we are there, but during the Maple Festival there are a lot crafters and everything maple you can think of.
I've read some of the other comments on here and I would have to say to those who are use to the Holiday Inns, Hyatt's, Hampton Inn, you will be upset with the rooms since those hotel are not a step back in time. But for those of us that like comfortable, easy living, totally relaxing, great home cooking and a fabulous very helpful staff...then come on down to the Highland Inn! It's got everything we need, coffee pot, iron, internet wii-fi, TV, walk to everything, clean rooms & beds and just plain wonderful. We hope to come down this Nov as we like to celebrate my birthday at our favorite place and I know we will be there for the 2011 Maple Festival to!
Thank you for everything y'all do...Greg, Debbie and Chef Lisa (& all our friends at the Inn) You guys are family to us!
Charlotte

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with family

Been to Highland Inn? Share your experiences!