“Great breakfasts”
Review of High's Restaurant

High's Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 3 Restaurants in Monterey
Cuisines: American
Description: New owners have spruced up the place and serve real food - and the best food in an otherwise dismal dining town. Many D.C. residents spend a weekend here and can't find info - won't know the place finally has edible food. Please check out their mountain trout - homemade desserts and breads, fresher food than this town has seen in years!
Reviewed October 31, 2011

We have eaten there a few times when we stay at the Highland Inn across the street.

The wait staff is very friendly and accommodating. I love the food here. When we arrived on Friday night I went for dinner and they had a Thai specialty. I was dubious that it would be good, but I ordered it. I really enjoyed it. To me it was like Country Thai food, very basic ingredients and the flavors were spot on. They did make it mild, but had hot sauce to add.

I've eaten breakfast there a few times and it's good and freshly made. Love their coffee, it's not at all bitter. IF you get lucky enough and they make the corned beef hash, get it! They don't make it often, but they should. It's really good.

We'll be back next year and I'll be having my breakfast there.

2  Thank Alicyn

Reviewed September 16, 2011

we didn't have a meal because the restaurant had closed but the staff there was friendly and helpful.

2  Thank Ron D
Reviewed July 24, 2011

We stoped for breakfast Saturday, 23rd. I liked the home town atmosphere and appeared to be ok. We ordered the buffet. What a disappointment! Bisquits were somewhat hard, scrambled eggs cooked in greese, gravy was bland, One piece of sausage not fully cooked. It is hard to destroy breakfast, but we felt that was achieved. I was embarrased for the locals that they had to pay $750 for below average meal. My grandaughter (9) was disappointed and this is only time she ever complained about a meal to us. We feel your local customers and visitors deserve better than this on your Sautrday breakfast buffett. I travel to different places around the Country and many places in VA. This is the worst breakfast buffet I have had in my 50 years of traveling.
You can do much better and your local people deserve it! I trust you will make the effort to give customers the very best in the future. Montereyians are wonderful people and work hard for their income. It will take very little effort to raise your standards!
Chuck Anderson

3  Thank wayman44
Reviewed October 26, 2010

If only there were more restaurants like this.
When we arrived, it was full of locals eating Sunday lunch but they made an effort to politely talk to us in passing, without being intrusive.
The food was excellent. I had the soup of the day (bean and ham) which was serve-yourself at the salad bar. There were no cups so the waitress just told me to half fill a bowl. It was delicious (just like my grandmother's!)
The liver and onion with gravy, veg and mash was superb. It had so much flavor.
The bill for two people with starters and main was less than we had paid for one main the evening before in Lexington.
In addition to the menu items, the restaurant offered an eat-all-you can salad and soup bar or a hot buffet consisting of fried chicken and stroganof, both at incredibly cheap prices.
Friendly, efficient service and good, homestyle cooking.
HIghly recommended.

3  Thank 92,075
Reviewed October 21, 2010

High's Restaurant is one of the few in the area so we were hoping it would be decent. We were in a group of two families with a total of 9 people (4 adults/5 young kids). The service was great and the prices were more than reasonable. We had food from hamburgers to trout and all of it was very good - not in a gourmet way but homestyle. The sweet potato fries were GREAT - get them. Our total bill for the 9 of us for dinner was about $76. The people were friendly - everybody in Monterey was. This is very much like the town itself - small towny, relaxed and amiable. I would definitely return to High's even though there is not much of a choice.

1  Thank amaranthpa