“Nice way to see the lake”

Virginia Dare Paddleboat
Ranked #8 of 50 Restaurants in Moneta
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed September 21, 2011

If you are not familiar with SML this is one way to get a feel for it. We did the lunch cruise and I agree with the other reviewers, don't bother with the meal. The speakers did not work on the upper deck for our cruise, but the crew worked to make sure we heard what was being said. We decided standing next to the captain gained us quite a bit of info! I'm glad we went.

1  Thank CRBug

Reviewed August 31, 2011

If you want to tour Smith Mountain Lake, rent a boat or pay to ride the Virginia Dare and have dinner after your tour. Dinner at any restaurant on the shores of SML will be better than what is served on this boat.

1  Thank LofL
Reviewed July 23, 2011

The iceberg lettuce salad didn't make for a great beginning, but the well-seasoned, tender, savory pork, chicken, rice, green beans bread, and iced tea made up for it. The dessert was a key lime, cheese-cakey mousse thing. All very tasty!

The captain's narration was barely there--and a real snoozer--a few facts about the lake and the dam that you could look up for yourself. They are missing a chance here. There are lots of interesting, colorful, and humorous stories about the lake's history and people. After all, Franklin County is the "moonshine capital of the world"! Hire a writer to write a monologue. This could be a very entertaining cruise, but it wasn't.

The lake, however, is beautiful, as always. Even on a day where the temperatures reached 100 degrees, standing outside there was enough breeze and water spray to be comfortable. A great meal, including salad through dessert and iced tea or coffee, a two-hour cruise on a beautiful lake for $42, which includes everything, even tax. How is this not a good deal?

2  Thank SummerVirginia
Reviewed March 29, 2010

Just called to make a reservation for the upcoming season. We went on this Cruise last year as well. It's a great way to see the Lake. Everyone there is very friendly and the food was good and fresh. Their Lunch Cruises are narrated by the Captain and we learned a lot about Smith Mountain Lake and it's surroundings. We were only at the Lake for a day but we felt like we were on vacation.

The price was reasonable. For $42.00 per person we got a Meal from beginning to end, Beverage & Cruise, Even the tax was included.

1  Thank SmlLover
Reviewed August 27, 2008

I made a reservation for my family for a lunch cruise on the Virginia Dare. I received a voicemail on my cell phone (lucky it worked at the state campground!) less than 24 hours before the cruise was supposed to happen telling me it had been canceled for low attendance.

While I can understand the need to have enough people to fill the boat, less than 24 hours notice is *completely* unacceptable. Additionally, their policy in the other direction says you need to cancel at least 30 days before the cruise to avoid forefiting your payment.

Needless to say, I'll be telling my friends...

1  Thank jmay666