“Great food but terrible service”
Review of Mexico Viejo

Mexico Viejo
Ranked #15 of 50 Restaurants in Moneta
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed July 11, 2014 via mobile

The food was good but this restaurant needs all new staff. The hostess was very rude and had on tiny, tight shorts. Very unprofessional . We did not get what we ordered and had to flag someone down to get service. When the checks came, they were all wrong. I will say the guacamole was very good.

1  Thank dtraveler29

Reviewed July 7, 2014

Mexico Viejo has been one of my favorite places to take people to on Smith Mountain Lake for many years. Recently, there was a change in ownership. We have been to Mexico Viejo half a dozen times since the change in ownership. I think the food is actually better. However, I was advised recently by a friend to check my bill against the pricing in the menu. I did that tonight. To my surprise, my bill reflected $1 more per item than what was on their menu. When I spoke to the manager, he told me the menu's did reflect the current prices. My friend told me that he had confronted the manager several months ago and was told the same thing.

I do not mind a reasonable price increase, but I do not like being deceived. Last week we took 9 people to Mexico Viejo. By my estimation, we we overcharged approximate $20.

1  Thank W_WilsonIV
Reviewed July 7, 2014

Have been to Mexico Viejo many times over the years and the food is always good. The service this weekend was slow but maybe understandable for fourth of July weekend. What I found most unacceptable was the fact that the prices on our bill did not reflect what was on the menu. We were with several other couples who had been there previously and the same thing had happened to them. When we called it to management's attention, they said that the menus had not been updated. (same excuse one of the couples with us was given two months ago). The prices were at least a dollar more per entree and fifty cents or so per drink. We sent the bills back to be corrected and they came back only partially corrected. Rather than be there all afternoon, we just accepted them. Check your bill before you pay!

2  Thank Aura W
Reviewed July 4, 2014 via mobile

Went here for family dinner. I got the "spicy" steak tacos. The meat wasn't chewy but didn't have much flavor. I was mostly disappointed that simple lettuce and tomatoes were not included on taco, just a very small pot of pico de gallo for three tacos with lots of meat...nothin else, no salsa, guac, etc. needless to say, it didn't have much taste. The rest of my family didn't like their meal. I wouldn't really expect much in this area anyway but the atmosphere is nice. Price was okay. In order to be seated, you must go upstairs, which could be problematic for some.

Reviewed May 14, 2014

I used to eat at this place at least once a week. It was near perfection. A couple of years ago, it started going down hill. Every now and then, I give it another try to see if anything has improved. Every time I see there has been no improvement. The service is not good. The food isn't as good as it used to be. They get orders wrong, etc.