“Wonderful restaurant and staff”
Review of Blackwater Cafe

Blackwater Cafe
Ranked #6 of 50 Restaurants in Moneta
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Family restaurant with focus on Customer Service. Your Dining Experience is our Priority. Casual dress with a nice ambience. Reservations are suggested.
Reviewed November 26, 2013

Blackwater Cafe at Smith Mountain Lake in VA is a wonderful restaurant. From the moment you enter you are greeted by a very friendly staff and if your lucky may meet their chef (who is fantastic). The decor is calm and helps you relax and get ready for a great meal. I have eaten there numerous times and each and every meal was excellent and delicious. So I highly recommend this restaurant. Patty M H

Reviewed September 22, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I happened along this restaurant and we were very nicely surprised by the service and food. Everyone was extremely friendly and kind and the food was delicious! We will definitely be back!

Reviewed September 19, 2013

I'm responding to the message posted by the owner / manager to my review of his restaurant.

1) I DID NOT come your restaurant looking for a "free meal".... I'm not that kind of person;

2) the facts:
a) you were "NOT prepared / staffed / had proper food inventory" on that Father's Day, to handle the amount of people; that is not my fault, but a function of your poor planning!
b) before you ran out of food (the plate I ordered), your server should have told me that; not after the fact I ordered it... again, poor planning!
c) when you offered me another plate, I gladly accepted; the problem, because of your poor planning, that plate was sub-par, tasted horrible (fish smelled like it was rotten) and was not properly prepared; again, poor planning, and also bad food prep!
d) when you came over, you had a terrible attitude / looked like your were dreading the outcome, and because of your attitude, you soured my attitude and the overall impression of your facility.
e) in my entire experiences of dinning around the world the last 30 years, whenever I had a bad experience, the management "always" takes the customers concerns into consideration and does whatever they need to do to make the customer happy, even in third world countries...
f) lastly, you really need to take a re-fresher course on "customer service" to prevent these types of things from happening again, that is, if you care to do so?

I am a gentleman, and was offended when you suggested that I came into your establishment "looking for a free meal", when in fact, due to your poor planning, your in essence forced a customer to ask for any type of consideration.

If you don't get what I'm saying here, you never will!

Good luck.

1  Thank Gill M
Reviewed June 25, 2013

Food was fine, but not exceptional for the prices charged. There seems to be a lack of any mid priced restaurants on this part of Scruggs Road. Wish we had gone into Westlake and visited some of the restaurants there. Staying in Bernard's landing though, I got tired of driving so much back and forth on Scruggs road.

Reviewed June 24, 2013

Showed up last summer and greeted by a much less than cordial older woman...assuming because we did not have a reservation. Regardless, we knew the waitress and the food was good but we aren't jumping to go back again.