“Birthday gone bad.”

Red embers
Ranked #124 of 214 Restaurants in Midlothian
Cuisines: American, Bar
Reviewed June 20, 2013

I went to red embers for my 21st birthday dinner with two friends of mine. I suggested the place since i'd had lunch with my family there before and it was decent. I figured since we wanted to bowl, it'd be one less stop. So anyways, we arrive to the restaurant around 7 pm and were the only ones there on a Thursday evening. We were seated immediately and had our drink orders taken. Trying to keep things on the less expensive side, I order a pizza. There's only one size on the menu, though the dimensions are indicated. It was 7.99. A fair price for a whole pizza. The waitress said what time is it.. i checked my phone... 7:14. She apologize and said shoot, if you'd be here earlier, at 7 or before, you could have gotten the pizza for 5 dollars. Bummer.As she went to place the order, I noticed a menu book on the table that said "all day Thursday happy hour food and beverages" or something along those lines. She came out and said that was right... that I could get the pizza for $5. Sounds great. Then she said but it's the happy hour size. How big is that? She didn't know. At the risk of getting that or some other one not on the menu that she said was 10.99, i opted for the cheaper one figuring i'd get dessert if I was still hungry. After a little longer than a normal restaurant wait, two plates come out. One for each of my friends. The waitress said oh sorry, the guys dropped your pizza... so they are about to make you a new one. That sucked for my birthday.. but i hoped it wouldn't take long. My friends were about half way done with their meals when they decided to order appetizers. Still waiting for the pizza, one friend noticed mold on her hamburger bun. Green, fuzzy, and hogging up the left side of the bun. Yum. Afraid to speak up or send it back, she was going to eat around it so she didn't have to worry about what may come out "extra" in the new burger. Unable to stomach it, she asked if it was possible to get a new bun. The waitress said it wasn't mold because the other buns didn't have mold, but they'd make her a new one. I still say twiddling my thumbs waiting for my pizza. It eventually came out and took up the size of a dinner plate. Not a bad size for 5 bucks. It tasted like rubber, but after being so hungry, I ate it anyway. When half way done with that, my friend got her burger. Basically, we all three ended up eating 3 different times. Food was average, and I only wished it would have been better. We got charged for everything. The late pizza, the moldy bun, the whole deal. Our bowling experience was just infuriating and was the last straw that I don't care to get in to yet. I was hoping to have a great evening celebrating my birthday with friends while showing them a place I had enjoyed so much, but the evening was short of good.

2  Thank Amy R
There are newer reviews for Red embers