“Don't stay here... entropy running rampant, surly staff”

Super 8 Midlothian/Richmond Area
Ranked #6 of 6 Hotels in Midlothian
Louisville, KY
“Don't stay here... entropy running rampant, surly staff”
Reviewed August 19, 2009

I stayed here for one night while helping a friend relocate after the beds in her house were packed up by the movers. I was going to get the free continental breakfast, then drive her extra car and dogs to their new home several states away. My expectations were minimal, but this hotel did not meet even them. The woman on duty at the desk at check-in was almost a comic character, so unfriendly and stone-faced was she. When I protested being put in a smoking room, she insisted that is what I had reserved, which is patently absurd. She glared at me accusingly and with great disgust changed the room assignment. The lobby was hot and smelled of tobacco. A/C repair trucks were on the premises for hours, but the temperature stayed the same. In my room, a used wash cloth was hanging from the shower curtain rod, the toilet seat was at right angles to the fixture, attached by only one fastener. The shrubbery was so overgrown probably a third of my first floor window was obscured.

The continental breakfast was horrible. The deserted room was dark (half the fixtures were burned out apparently) and hot, no one was in attendance at 8 am, the one juice pitcher was emply, coffee was weak and tepid, the bagels were OK, but the only thing to put on them was some kind of artificial butter spread. There was one toaster and only half the slots worked. There were two cereal choices, but I was afraid to use the milk in the carafe. The place was so depressing and seedy I thought the milk might be adulterated by some disgruntled employee, although on second thought, I got the impression there probably weren't any: Mom and Pop on the desk and daughter cleaning rooms. When I tried to check-out at 8:30, no one came in response to the bell. After more than 5 minutes, a man appeared with shaving cream on his face. He accepted the key but did not give a receipt or even an apology for tardiness. He waved to where others had left room keys, and his attitude was of annoyance. Guess my friend will have to check her credit card statement to verify the charges.

My belief is that this hotel was probably good at one time, but that since the people I saw have been running it, nothing beyond the bare minimum has been done. They should lose the franchise. AAA should scrape their sticker off the door. Not recommended.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
wisconsin
Reviewed May 21, 2009

I have but one gripe with this hotel: no one was ever at the desk. If you called the desk to get a wake up call it would ring and ring and ring. When I checked out quite early (even though I told them the night before when I would be leaving) the manager gave me a hard time about providing me with a bill/invoice/receipt. He told me they don't print those until 11 AM! Also will add the breakfasts weren't served on time either day I was there - so, I have no idea what was in them. Even though I left both days after the stated start time of the breakfasts, it did me no good. Lastly, this is on a very busy intersection. I wanted to walk across the street to eat but wouldn't have dared until after 8 pm.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
wisconsin
Reviewed April 13, 2009

This one is the worst. I stayed at this hotel for five horrible days. Carpets are dirty and stained, including the carpet in the hallway. The continental breakfast is a joke - when they finally get around to putting something out, it is old and stale. I mentioned the breakfast to the owner and his response was to shrug his shoulders and say "don't eat it." Don't even think about asking for a napkin. Staff is very rude and front desk is unmanned most of the time.
After 3 days of asking for a hair dryer that worked, I went out and bought one. I've stayed at many other Super 8's and all of them were fine. Don't know what happened to this one, but I won't be back.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Midlothian hotels

Dallas, Texas
Reviewed December 20, 2008

This is the worst motel I have ever stayed at. In my 1st room, the toilet didn't work. When I went to the front desk to state the issue, the hotel associate showed me the closet where the plunger was kept and told me to go plunge the toilet. I did so and went back to tell him it didn't work. He told me to go back and try a couple of more times. I did and it still didn't work. I told him I wanted a new room. When I got back later that day to move my belongings to the new room, I found out that the hotel associates had moved all of my belongings for me. At no time did I state that it was OK for anyone to touch my personal belongings. In this 2nd room, the water in the shower was ice cold when I set the faucet all the way to H. I went to complain about this and the same man from the plunger incident came to my room and showed me that in this room H was for Cold and C was for Hot on the shower faucet knob. How would a normal person know this? He was very short with me and unprofessional during both incidents. The continental breakfast was posted as starting at 6am each day. I left each day at 6:30am and most days the room was still dark and no food out. The front desk was rarely manned even during regular business hours and most of the time the front desk lights were out as well. I have nothing good to say about this motel and will never stay at any Super 8 again because of this horrible experience.

• Liked — Low cost
  • Disliked — Everything else - service, cleanliness
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled solo
1 Thank FemaleTraveler85
Virginia
Reviewed September 29, 2008

I am very disappointed in this hotel. The owner is very rude. My husband stays at this hotel for working purposes and refuses to go back. He also refused to give my husband the rewards points as listed on his billboard. My husband needed a receipt for his stay to reimbursed by his employer and the printer wouldn't work so he told my husband that he was out of luck. I called back later to see if I could get a receipt and the owner kept cutting me off - very rude. This person needs to be in a different business.

• Liked — location to work
  • Disliked — Owner
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank theoyes
Ft. Bragg
Reviewed April 25, 2008

Encountered the following problems: reserved room not available; dirty/soiled office chair; dirty carpet; dirty walls; 1 room missing iron; 1 room missing telephone & clock; noise from 2nd floor kept me awake until after 2AM; linen wrinkled, worn, dirty; mold in bathroom and on shower curtain; dimly lit bathroom; filthy AC; dirty hallway carpet; lobby/hallways hot and smelly. This was one of the worst hotel stays I've ever encountered.

• Stayed April 2008
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank BraggDLA
Virginia
Reviewed December 31, 2007

I know this hotel is a discount hotel. Still, we did not receive what we consider to be normal expectations, especially near the capital city of the state. There was no elevator to the second floor. Room information indicated the continental breakfast was from 6-10. Upon arrival at 9:15, we were informed it was 6-9. When complained about the inaccurate information, we were informed the information in the room was "old". Next day we arrived for breakfast at 8:00, but it was hardly worth the effort.

Stayed December 2007
Also consider these accommodations in or near Midlothian
Sleep Inn & Suites Harbour Pointe
Holiday Inn Express
Holiday Inn Express
#5 of 6 in Midlothian
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Richmond - Brandermill - Hull St
Hampton Inn Richmond Southwest - Hull Street
Best Western Plus Governor's Inn
Four Points by Sheraton Richmond

Been to Super 8 Midlothian/Richmond Area? Share your experiences!