“Excellent”
Review of The Chequers

The Chequers
Cuisines: Mediterranean, British
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: A country pub & restaurant overlooking the Green offering modern British cruisine with Mediterranean twist using the freshest ingredients. Homemade and where possible sourced locally including vegetables from their local allotment and fresh herbs grown in the Restaurant's herb garden. The Chequers is located in the heart of the delightful village of Matching Green on the Herts / Essex border not far from the M11. It is very much part of local the community.
Reviewed February 12, 2014

I don't usually leave reviews, but having just read some of the reviews for the Chequers from disgruntled one-off customers, I thought it only fair to leave an honest review from regular customers who have visited every couple of weeks for the past few years. We love the setting, overlooking the village green, lovely in the Summer watching the cricket. The interior is contemporary yet cosy. Sometimes it is extremely busy, eg. Friday evenings in the Summer, party nights, private parties. At other times it can be quieter. The food is always special. We find it very hard to find other pubs/restaurants where the food quality matches The Chequers, hence we return again and again. Yes, it's not cheap, but you get what you pay for! We usually find our bill for a main course (eg. fish & chips/gourmet burger) and a couple of drinks each is about £45 ish. We have never had a problem with the food or service, but I know that if we did have a problem, it would be quickly resolved. I cannot recommend The Chequers highly enough.

Reviewed February 2, 2014

We went to The Chequers for a Saturday lunchtime, we had visited for a drink in the summer and decided to try the food. Having navigated all the very wet roads we arrived at a good time. We hadn't booked but that didn't matter. The service was very good, we must have had about 3 different people serve us during the course of the meal but it didn't detract from the service they all new what they were doing.
The menu was full of things I could have eaten and it took us a while to decide, my husband chose the Calves Liver and I chose the very Slow Roasted Pork. I would say the food was good but I was a little disappointed, the menu said the mash was with caramelised apple and I didn't get any flavour of that, my husbands comment was 'bland' but still a nice meal. I have to say my pud was delicious Panna cotta with fudge and popcorn. My husband enjoyed his but said it wasn't hot and he would have thought a bread and butter pud would have been better hot not warm. We didn't say anything, so we are not sure what the reaction of the staff would have been, as we actually overall enjoyed the experience, which I know is a bit contradictory. We would return and give it another try, the lunch menu items looked delicious too and the people on the table behind seemed to really enjoy their meals as well

1  Thank Denise C
Reviewed December 22, 2013

This lovely country pub has a restaurant and a pub style eatery.
For a Wednesday night the restaurant was obviously not well booked so we were seated in the pub side.
The fish is very good we had a prawn and crayfish cocktail which was very nice and a huge portion.
my wife and mother had the hot mixed seafood sharing platter which again was a large portion and for 2 ladies probably enough for then for a main course.
i Had the 16 hour slow roasted pork shoulder with Caramelised apple mash, sautéed greens, spiced crackling, cherry apples which was excellent.
The staff were pleasant attentive without being imposing.
Its a lovely, quaint English Pub that has a wonderful country setting.

Reviewed November 3, 2013

Just held a big birthday party at The Chequers. The landlord Roberto and his fantastic crew could not have done more to have made it a memorable evening. Great food, brilliant atmosphere, lovely wines and superb and attentive service from the lovely staff all evening. Thanks, Rob, and team!

Reviewed November 1, 2013 via mobile

First experience here and I have to say it was nice. The positives of this establishment was the excellent efficient table service. The courses came out in good timing and a nice selection on the menu.
The downside was it was very loud and hard to have a conversation at times.
Overall nice evening!