“Great stay in northern Virginia” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Briar Patch Bed & Breakfast

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Middleburg
Briar Patch Bed & Breakfast
You added Briar Patch Bed & Breakfast to your Saves list
Ranked #4 of 8 Middleburg B&B and Inns
Kutztown, Pennsylvania
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 1,822 helpful votes
“Great stay in northern Virginia”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

This B and B is in a lovely setting on 47 acres on a hill sitting back from the road (Route 50) a few miles east of Middleburg, VA. It started as a one room log cabin in 1805 and was enlarged by the middle 1800s. There are 8 bedrooms-we were in the Violet room on the second floor with the bathroom shared with the adjoining room (bathroom doors could be locked from both sides). The furnishings were simple--a very comfortable king sized bed, two lamps, a heater and robes were available to wear. There is also a large lovely porch with chairs in the front.

On the first floor is a sitting room with a TV, books and magazines, a love seat and chairs. The breakfast room could seat 16 guests--it was a weekend so an excellent breakast was served including french toast and 2 kinds of quiche as well as cereal, fruit, juice, breads, etc. In addition, they provide many kinds of snacks, juice and soft drinks at any time during the day--a very nice touch. On the grounds, there is a hot tub, pool and a number of trails around the property. In a separate building, they have banquet faciilites and there was a wedding rehearsal and dinner the night we stayed.

Briar Patch participated in the program--B and Bs for Vets, where active and retired military veterans can stay a free night on Veterans Day weekend--a wonderful way to give back to those who served in the military. We stayed one night as part of that program and liked Briar Patch so much we booked 2 nights with friends for the spring.

The only negative was that the free high speed wifi did not work for us--we were told in advance that it was slow, but we were unable to use our tablets fo get on the internet.

This is a great place to spend time and explore the lovely surrounding areas of northern Virginia. We look forward to our return.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars
Ellen G, Owner at Briar Patch Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, November 27, 2012
Thanks very much for your sweet review! I'm so happy you had a wonderful stay with us. You did a great job hitting all of the unique features that we offer, and I'm glad you were able to take advantage of our free night stay for Veteran's Day!

I do apologize if the wifi was slow. That's a rarity, but unfortunately it does happen from time to time. Thanks again, and we looking forward to your visit in the spring!

Owner

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Tidewater, VA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

My cousin & I stayed at Briar Patch B&B in Middleburg, VA in early Oct. We loved our rooms & breakfast & the area was lovely. The only problem was the stink bugs, but the owners tried everything to get rid of them. I'll visit again -- when stink bug season is over.

Room Tip: The Rose Room (2nd floor) was large & comfortable. The downstairs rooms have fireplaces & a...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Nellie001
Ellen G, Owner at Briar Patch Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, November 15, 2012
Nellie,

Thank you so much for your review. I'm very happy you had a lovely stay with us and got to check out the area.

I do apologize once more for the stink bugs. They've constantly been increasing in numbers all over Virginia the past few years. We'll just have to continue to find ways to combat them. We'd love to host you again once stink bug season is over!

Best,
huntersville
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

I had a Living Social deal for Briar Patch, and thought, why not? I've always wanted to do a winery tour, and we like Virginia, so...then, my daughter announced her engagement, and we invited them to join us. We had a lovely two days in Northern VA, in a part of the state neither I nor my husband (who is from VA) had ever been to. We had a great time. The staff at Briar Patch was great about updating us on ravel conditions (this was two days after Hurricane Sandy) and were most gracious about calling to check which wineries were open and offering tasting coupons. The Inn itself is in an idyllic setting and is beautifully furnished and well-maintained. As an early bird, I wish that breakfast was offered before 9:00 am, but there are plenty of snacks and coffee and tea available before then, so you won't starve or die of caffeine deprivation. I particularly like the layout of the inn - with several suites upstairs and two nice sitting areas downstairs, plus the dining area, there is plenty of room to spread out. Plus, according to a family friend, it's only an hour out of DC. I would seriously consider staying out here and commuting to the nearest Metro stop on my next visit to DC.

Room Tip: If road noise bothers you, ask for a room on the back of the house. The state road the inn is on is...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank prchrmom
Thanks so much for this glowing review! I really appreciate the comments about our layout and decor. So glad you got to check out a part of Virginia you haven't seen before!

Our only goal of any visit is to make sure you have a wonderful time. We will always be available to make sure you've got what you need to be comfortable and enjoy yourselves. With Sandy, it was a bit more chaotic than usual, but luckily we were still able to make everything work.

Many congrats again to your daughter! We're happy to host you anytime you need to relax.

Best,
North Carolina Coast, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

My daughter was married at the Patch on 10/20, and things could not have been more perfect. The setting, the facilities and the management were just as one would wish them to be. Our room was very comfortable and homey. My highest marks for this wonderful occasion.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars
Ellen G, Owner at Briar Patch Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, October 29, 2012
Nothing makes me happier than hearing your daughter had a perfect wedding here. It was lovely having you all here. Thanks for letting us share in the wonderful experience. We wish your daughter and her husband the best in their new life together.

Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

We had a work meeting at the Briar Patch Inn and it was a perfect location. the staff was completely accomodating and having such a cozy atmosphere made it an ideal choice for our team. The meeting space overlooked the mountains, and had multiple doors to enjoy fresh air and a beautiful view during breaks. The sleeping rooms and beds were very comfortable and relaxing. Having homemade meals was also a plus! I would definitely return.

Room Tip: any of the rooms will work, but some have bathrooms attached to bedrooms and others have hallways ba...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars
Ellen G, Owner at Briar Patch Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, October 17, 2012
Glad you had a productive meeting at Briar Patch, Elizabeth! Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a review. Regardless of why you're visiting, we just want you to feel completely at home and comfortable. And of course, a homemade meal never hurts! I really appreciate your feedback, and we'd love to host your group anytime.

Roanoke, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

My husband and I were married on June 2, 2012 on the amazing grounds of the Briar Patch (BP). It was an outstanding weekend of very close family and friends, and I could never have dreamed of a better back drop to our nuptials! Ellen, Dan, Henriette and the other staff are fantastic! From the get go they were professional, hospitable, generous, timely, and sweet! Many of our guests that stayed at the inn said it was like "being welcomed home"! The breakfasts were super tasty in set in a naturally lit cozy breakfast area. Ellen even helped my best friend and bridesmaid by making her vegan options!! The wedding was perfect, thanks to Henriette and all of the contacts she helped me with (caterer, florist etc). My maid of honor and I stayed in the cottage and it was the perfect place for all the girls to do our nails and chit chat and the guys all had some whiskey and watched the ball game the night before the wedding! Henriette took the decorations I brought and made the reception areas gorgeous (I cried tears of joy when I saw it). The grounds were so well kept, the rooms and reception area were clean and comfortable.The new hot tub was so pretty and comfortable, the pool was refreshing (and both so nice and hidden in the trees...so romantic!) Everything was brilliant!!! Thank you again to all involved that made our stay and our wedding perfect!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars
You're very welcome, Sarah - thank YOU for the lovely review! There's no greater compliment we can receive than hearing your wedding was perfect. We were so glad to be a part of it - the ceremony was beautiful. I'll certainly share this with the whole staff, as well.

I do apologize that we made you cry, but if they were tears of joy, I guess it's okay! I was smiling the whole time I read this. We're very glad you had a wonderful experience. Thanks again for taking the time to share it with us. We wish you and Aaron the best of luck in your married life together.

Ellen
East Coaster
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

Last weekend we attended our nephew's wedding at the Briar Patch Bed and Breakfast. The festivities included a rehearsal dinner on Friday evening and the weddding and reception on Saturday.
The Briar Patch is located in rural Virginia, near Middleburg, and the setting is lovely. The rehearsal dinner was in a separate wing from the B&B - same location as the wedding reception. The location featured a large patio with covered bar, as well as expansive indoor seating in a hall and adjoining room. We enjoyed drinks and mingling on the patio in the wonderful late summer twilight both evenings, and the settings for the dinners were comfortable yet elegant.
The wedding was conducted outside under a large tree - perfect weather and the setting felt intimate. The only possible drawback was the proximity to the two lane road running in front of the property, but it was not really distracting during the ceremony.
Many of our family stayed at the Briar Patch for the event; we were not able to secure a room, but wish we could have. All our relatives who stayed there recommended it.
In all, a beautiful setting for a very special event!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars
Ellen G, Owner at Briar Patch Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, September 27, 2012
Thanks very much for your review. We're honored to have hosted your nephew's wedding, and so happy it was a lovely ceremony.

We pride ourselves on being a "one-stop shop" of sorts. Not only can we host events like rehearsal dinners and wedding ceremonies, we'll also provide a comfortable, relaxing environment in which you can stay. I'm sorry you weren't able to experience that aspect, but maybe that just means another trip to Middleburg is in store!

Thanks again for taking the time to leave a comment. It was a pleasure to be a part of your nephew's special day, and I'm glad everyone had a great time!

All the best,
Owner
Also consider these accommodations in or near Middleburg
Hampton Inn and Suites Leesburg
Middleburg Country Inn
Middleburg Country Inn
#3 of 8 in Middleburg
5.0 of 5 stars 112 reviews

Been to Briar Patch Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!