“Yummy dinner, great ambiance”
Review of Fox's Den Tavern - CLOSED

Fox's Den Tavern
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed July 28, 2014

The entire menu was well-thought out and made it very tough to choose. Everything we ordered was excellent.

There are newer reviews for Fox's Den Tavern

Reviewed July 6, 2014

The use of the existing architecture to create the ambiance of a hotel of that age is charming.The food is up to 2014 in all aspects--I had the best version of a recipe I seek out at fooderies.

Reviewed June 16, 2014

Had dinner here with my family recently. I personally liked the feel of the place, but it ended up being the worst restaurant experience I've had in years. ALL service staff disappeared for long periods, and I literally had to walk into the kitchen to find someone to bring us water. After long waits, we only received our food after asking them to check on it for us (both courses). Some dishes were borderline inedible. The pasta dish was literally crunchy, and the burger was burnt to a crisp. Other dishes weren't bad, but not nearly good enough to balance out the overall experience. I didn't complain, as I didn't want to be stuck there another hour if they attempted to rectify it.

3  Thank MGoBlueTraveler
Reviewed June 11, 2014

I thought at first that the shoddy furnishings might be sort of a "shabby hunt chic" design. Instead, the awful decor was apparently foreshadowing of the awful food.

I ordered the brisket with mashed potatoes and seasonal vegetables. Everything on the plate was terrible. The mashed potatoes tasted like the fake kind you buy in the refrigerated section of the grocery store. They were bland and tasted like paste. The vegetables (peas and carrots) looked as though they had been frozen and then perhaps dehydrated...6 weeks ago. They tasted even worse than they looked. The final insult, though, was the brisket. It was 99% fatty and was completely inedible. Neither my daughter nor I could choke down more than 1 bite.

I asked for the check and didn't mention my dissatisfaction to the server (I'm not a complainer and I tend to avoid confrontation). The server asked if we were unhappy with the food since we clearly hadn't eaten more than 2 bites. I replied (with a smile) that neither of us cared for the food and thanked her. She asked: "Was the brisket too fatty?" I told her the truth that the brisket was entirely too fatty and that the mashed potatoes and vegetables weren't good either. I didn't ask for a discount/comp/alternate meal choice and none was offered. Clearly, the staff was aware of the food quality, yet they continue to serve it.

At $25/plate I certainly expected more. I want my money back. I want my time back. This is the first time in my 32 years of life that I have been 100% dissatisfied with a dining experience.

Avoid this place if you enjoy food and/or comfortable chairs.

3  Thank Becky S
Reviewed May 18, 2014

What a quaint little place. Tall people need to duck in some areas but I found this charming.we like to go on Sunday afternoons after a drive in the countryside. Great bloody Mary's,and the lobster blt is to die for. Sit at the small bar if you have to wait for a table and enjoy the rustic atmosphere.