“Dinner: extremely expensive for average food.”

Goodstone Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Goodstone Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2 of 22 Restaurants in Middleburg
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Foxcroft Road
Description: Extremely Fresh, Approachable and Refined Drawing both inspiration and purpose from its location on farmland in Middleburg, VA, the restaurant at Goodstone Inn & Estate seeks to provide its guests with an unparalleled dining experience. The quality of produce, both cultivated and foraged, found outside the back door of the kitchen provides Chef Tarver King and his team with pristine ingredients that make up a meal representative of this place in every moment of each season.
Arlington, Virginia
“Dinner: extremely expensive for average food.”
Reviewed September 22, 2013

This is a lovely facility in a beautiful part of Virginia, but the quality of the food was not worth the price for any of the courses. Entree prices are higher than we have observed anywhere in DC. Sweetbreads were terrible, Chilean sea bass were decent, everything else was average.

1 Thank John A

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Middleburg, VA
“Hard Boiled Eggs Benedict”
Reviewed September 9, 2013

I have been to the Goodstone to stay and dine on several occasions; we live just around the corner. This spring we had a wonderful dinner -- really and exceptional dinner, with terrific service.

So I was pleased to take a friend there essentially for a business discussion. The mistake was going for brunch. While my friend's brunch was all right, mine was terrible. I ordered Eggs Benedict, hardly an unusual request. The service was slow, with a waitress who bordered on being rude, certainly indifferent to us. Worse were the eggs; the yokes were completely hardened and I ate very little. Had the waitress bothered to ask how our lunch/brunch was, I would have told her; but the length of the service and the fact I didn't want to raise a ruckus with my business colleague kept me from saying anything -- I didn't have endless hours to wait around for a new plate of eggs.

Brunch at the Goodstone is not inexpensive. For nearly $40 for eggs, one would expect something better. The hit or miss nature of the food and service make this place too iffy a proposition for a return visit. If they don't perk it up the new resort down the road is going to clean their clocks.

• Visited June 2013
5 Thank walter w
Loudoun County, Virginia
“Not what it use to be”
Reviewed September 8, 2013

We had the privilege of eating here twice in 2009 when Tarver King was chef and Neal Wavra was manager. Tarver is now at Patowmack Farm and Neal is at Ashby Inn. We consider our meals then to be in our "Top 15" of all time (no. 1 being The French Laundry). Tarver King was spectacular and dining was truly a joy with the inventive "molecular gastronomy" menu. We loved it. Neal Wavra greeted guests at the door with a "Welcome Mr. and Mrs.." and we felt special and that this was going to be truly an experience. That is gone and we were disappointed with the direction Goodstone has turned. Folks experiencing it for the first time will not know any better but we do. Gone is the special attention one had received. Our greeting lacked the elegance Goodstone once had. It is now a nice restaurant when it once was an elegant and memorable dining experience. There is an attractive bar in the once large foyer and we ordered and were served drinks as we waited for our friends to arrive. In general, I found the menu to be what one would expect. To be fair, the prices are lower than they were in 09, but I would gladly pay more for a meal that is outstanding and memorable and a work of art, rather than a meal I can get at any other "finer" restaurant. Would I recommend Goodstone? It's mixed, it is still a "fine dining" restaurant, although the food is not consistent. The sweetbreads were very good but the duck was undercooked. The chef needs more attention to detail. The wine list is well over the expected mark up. A bottle of $40 pinot noir was marked up to $120. That is outrageous. We have been to many excellent restaurants that do not needlessly mark up their wine. Trying to "fool" folks into believing that the restaurant is "fine" with a high priced wine list is foolish. However, the location is in a bucolic setting. The staff need to be reminded not to interrupt while a guest is in the middle of speaking, however they did NOT take away plates while others were eating (a pet peeve of mine) so that was pleasant. Food was lacking in attention as my duck, which I asked to be cooked medium, was rare. I should have sent it back but did not want to wait (but should have). The noise level is high as it is all wood and nothing there to absorb it. All in all, most will find it good, but we found it disappointing as it is half of its former self which was spectacular. I don't think we will return as there is still much to do to make it outstanding. I gave it a four rating but it could have been a five with some work.

1 Thank winelvr83
Clifton, Virginia
“Wonderful Fine Dining - Foodies will love this place!”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

My husband and I are picky. We only want EXCELLENT food. We found it in Goodstone Inn & Estate Restaurant. A delicious dinner - always go for the chef's tasting if they offer it. I have to tell you, after spending the night, the blueberry pancakes were the best we ever had! Yum!

• Visited August 2013
Reston, Virginia
“"A perfect place to go"”
Reviewed August 11, 2013

Good food, EXCELLENT SERVICE BY FREDDY,also he recommending a fabulous wine !!! We walked around the restaurant and we enjoy the beautiful view.This is a perfect place to go. WE will return soon!!!
Lola1981.