“Great historic inn”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Middleburg
The Red Fox Inn & Tavern - Inn
Ranked #1 of 8 Middleburg B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 4, 2012

I stayed with my children at the inn recently - and we had a great time. They really appreciated the history and we found the evening and morning innkeepers very hospitable. We also loved the big hearty breakfasts that were included with the room price (and they honored this even though we'd "bought" our room through a school auction).

We stayed on the top floor of the main hotel and the room exceeded our expectation (the Skinner room). It was 2 separate rooms with a very comfortable Q bed in one room and a fold out one person sofa bed in the other room which was pretty comfortable too. Rooms and bath were VERY clean and the oatmeal cookies were a nice touch. a TV in each room and room is more historic looking than it appears on the website.

It is a historic hotel so we had to walk up to the 4th floor but the view was great. And room was quiet, even tho it was facing the street. Our only minor complaint is that the room was warm but with windows open it was ok.
Thanks for a great stay!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed December 22, 2011

I don't expect much, just a fair price for what I get. The Inn was nice, it was overpriced, wasn't the most comfortable place to stay, had a decent restaurant (breakfast was included in the price of the stay but the menu was limited to 3 items, the bed wasn't all that comfortable and the web site didn't point out that the room I selected on line was the ONLY room of 16 that didn't have a private bathroom (it was down the hall). It wasn't bad, it just wasn't worth the $187/night we paid for it.

Room Tip: Don't stay in the jefferson davis room if youw ant a private bathroom.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Westtenn03
Reviewed September 19, 2011

I booked the Jefferson room for an overnight stay on a Sunday. I called the inn to confirm my reservation and to ask if I could stop by early before check-in to drop off a few things. I first spoke with Abby, who was cheerful, and more than willing to help me plan this birthday surprise for my boyfriend. When I stopped by on early Sunday, I spoke with Matilda, who let me drop in the room to drop off gifts, champagne and balloons. Later, my boyfriend and I returned, and Matilda gave us our room key and said with a smile, "Enjoy your room. We've upgraded it, free of charge!" We entered the room, which turned out to be one of the suites, and it was beautiful. The housekeeper moved all of the gifts and balloons to the new room and set it up as I'd arranged it earlier. I was so thrilled!

In our room, we found champagne glasses, a second smaller bottle of champagne, and fresh oatmeal cookies at our bedside. The suite was large, on the third floor, and offered a lovely view of the main street of Middleburg below. The bed was soft and lush, with fluffy pillows. Even though fall is moving in, we didn't feel chilly or too hot in our room; the temperature was perfect. The Skinner Suite had a bathroom, bedroom, and a separate sitting room with an additional TV and a sleeper sofa.

For breakfast, we enjoyed a lovely meal in the dining room downstairs. (We ate dinner at the inn the night before, and it was delicious!) We expected a light breakfast, but the menu options boasted an omelet, a two-egg dish with bacon or sausage and toast, or eggs benedict. I enjoyed a HUGE omelet and a delicious pot of tea for breakfast; my boyfriend had the two-egg breakfast with perfectly crispy bacon and fresh orange juice.

If you're looking for a quiet, romantic, and friendly bed and breakfast, don't skip the The Red Fox Inn! From booking to checkout, the staff of the inn were helpful, friendly, and more than willing to go out of their way to ensure that my boyfriend had an enjoyable birthday weekend. I am looking forward to our next stay!

Room Tip: Watch for low ceilings :)
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank wdgray85
Reviewed September 4, 2011

RETURN VISIT. Chose Stray Fox for privacy last time, this stay was top floor main building. Restaurant, both breakfast and dinner superb and memorable. Karen at front desk is fantastically helpful and gracious. Great location for experiencing Middleburg, The Plains, Upperville and outlying areas because of location on US-50. Steeped in local history and tradition.

Room Tip: Top floor room 19 was less expensive, but beware the limited headroom!
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 29, 2011

I just stayed at the Red Fox Inn two weeks ago with my 4 year old daughter. We had very mixed feelings about the place as the dinner was amazingly good and our server, Marcy, excellent; however, the room we stayed in was dirty (the bedspread had stains on it and was clearly not washed for a while, for example), the pillows so limp they did not function at all, the air conditioning was very high and could not be adjusted (they had one for the whole place, I was told), so we were freezing all night, and worst of all, the receptionist was so ignorant about anything around and so rude in her manner I was shocked. Imagine this, I asked her what is there to see around and she said with a bored face, nothing! I almost had to laugh. This in an area that is filled with beauty and history; as we discovered later on, there was plenty to see in and around Middleburg. The receptionists in the afternoon were far nicer so maybe the place just has one bad apple the owner should get rid of and put some more effort into cleaning the place, and it would be all good; but as it is, my suggestion is to stay away and only visit the Red Fox Inn for the food, which is again incredibly good (try the peanut soup :)), that's all.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank Perszona
Reviewed August 11, 2011

We stayed two nights on the weekend in the "Gardner's Cottage"--a small unit separate from the several buildings which house the rooms at the Inn. Very private and quiet. The Inn is located in the middle of Middleburg, with all the shops and restaurants in easy walking distance. We also were able to easily tour several vineyards by car. One big plus: Guests receive a free breakfast and may choose between the usual "bacon and eggs," omelets, and eggs Benedict. There are no vending machines or ice machines, but the maid fills the ice bucket with ice every morning. Unfortunately, no one told us of this service, and we did not discover that there was ice in the room until we were ready to check out. But this was only a minor inconvenience in a very enjoyable stay.

Room Tip: Room sizes and amenities vary. eg., One room does not have an en suite bath room. Their web site pic...
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 26, 2011

We stayed on a Thursday night with My Husband, college age daughter, Brother and his wife. 2 rooms on the very top floor of the Inn. I truly enjoyed our stay, knowing what to expect with an Inn that has been around since the 1700's. The rooms are small, no tv in the bedroom. Ceilings over beds are low at points and you do have to be careful if you are on that side of the bed with the low ceiling. We did not eat dinner at the Inn, opting to walk up the street and sit outside to eat. Middleburg is a really neat town and we all enjoyed sitting outside. The next morning we did eat Breakfast at the Inn and it was wonderful!! Coffee was perfect as was everything we ate.
Just remember, this is an Inn, not a full service hotel. No bar, unless you are having dinner. The staff were all very nice. The night we stayed there was an event on the second floor dining room..There again, old place and you could hear everything. But that is part of the charm that drew me to this place......

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Middleburg
Airlie
#1 of 1 in Haymarket
The Rooms Up There
The Rooms Up There
#1 of 1 in Marshall

Been to The Red Fox Inn & Tavern - Inn? Share your experiences!