All others have given this lovely estate a terrific review. I agree with virtually all of those reviews to a point. The grounds are lovely and there is an air of the horse country set that is not dissimilar from Bruern Stables in the Cotswolds, my all time favorite small luxury "farm" or stables hotel. The Hayloft room is very very small, very tight, with virtually no place to sit comfortably. True, it has an enormous deck but if it is cold or rains, it's confining. The room turned out to be more than $650. per night, because there is a hefty service charge, plus, tax, plus local charges, exceeing 20% of the total posted cost. . For that price I expect perfect linens and a clean and roomy respite. The room and accoutrements were just adquate. I certainly expected that the carpets would be clean for this price. They were not. I am attaching photos. They were solied and stained.
The deck cushions were strewn all over and covered with pine needles and dust from the trees when we arrived (and there were old cigarette butts in the sand container there. No one made an attempt to make the deck inviting or set up for a newly arriving guest, although it would have been so easy. The absence of coffee or tea on the large sideboard during the day and evening in the main lobby, particularly in the early morning is a serious oversight.. There is wine available in the lobby and a half bottle in the room, from the Napa Valley . There was a dearth throughout the Estate and restaurant of local wines.
The pool is advertised as heated for Spring but the temperature in the water was in the high 60's, way too cold to swim in the cool air--
Overall, I would go back again, but I would select a far lower price room, in The French or Dutch Cottages or even the Spring House.Ask for the square footages of the rooms when you book and never book the Hayloft. The price for the Hayloft should be markeldy reduced-- by about $200. to be remotely fair. Even then, except for the deck, which is too large for 2 people, the room woudl not be a winner in my mind.
The management is a bit pretentious and disorganized at times. They indicate they have a spa, but they if fact do not have a fully service spa. Services are from a day spa in town and are cursory at best, and there is no lovely formal space that serves that role yet. Apparently it is in the making.
These flaws are surmountable if the management takes them seriously, but many small luxuriy hotels are far more inviting and impeccable. Ths one has a way to go. The grounds--totally spectacular! The restaurant was superb. Overall, this seems to have a novice management team with good intent and one thing I would recommend most highly is to let people know that the Hayloft is not the best room, up a very steep set of stairs, under the eaves, and is sinmply never going to be prime.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Goodstone Inn & Restaurant in Middleburg, Virginia, is a luxurious country inn and French restaurant in the heart of Virginia's wine and horse country. Drawing inspiration and purpose from its location on 265 acres of rolling hills and farmland, the Restaurant at Goodstone provides its guests with an unparalleled farm-to-table dining experience. The luxury country inn offers 18 elegantly decorated guest rooms and suites in six distinctive dwellings, including the Carriage House (main building), Dutch Cottage, French Farm Cottage, Spring House, Manor House and Bull Barn Cottage. Other amenities include Goodstone's country spa, wine cellar dining room, horse-themed Carriage House bar, exquisite heated pool set beneath the Wisteria-covered facade of the Old Mansion, and working farm. Goodstone Inn & Restaurant offers the charming ambiance of an 18th century country estate with the convenience, luxury and service expected by 21st century guests. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Priceline, Hotels.com, Agoda, Orbitz, Travelocity and Despegar.com so you can book your Goodstone Inn & Restaurant reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Goodstone Inn & Restaurant Hotel Middleburg
- Goodstone Inn And Restaurant