“Wonderful get away with fabulous dining”

Goodstone Inn & Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 8 Middleburg B&B and Inns
Atlanta
“Wonderful get away with fabulous dining”
Reviewed May 6, 2009

We spent 2 nights at The Goodstone in April. Stayed in the Dutch cottage. The cottage was great overlooking a creek, near the hot tub and had very comfortable beds. Took a hike around the property and found many photo ops of the landscape.
The Inn has a great chef and we enjoyed a 7 course meal that most likely was the best meal I had ever experienced. Very close to Middleburg with cute little shops.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Kentucky
Reviewed February 18, 2009

Since we discovered the Goodstone in March of 2008, we have visited it three times. It is the perfect combination of elegant and comfortable, and the staff is the best we have experienced anywhere. We have stayed in several rooms, and they are all charming. The most recently opened is the Bull Barn, and it is a perfect combination of rustic and luxurious. It is a cottage that is located a little way from the main buildings, so it is very private. We are always amazed at all the little touches that make this such a special place to stay, and we have already booked our next visit.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
Sarasota, Florida
Reviewed November 30, 2008

We came to the inn for one night over the Thanksgiving holiday. We arrived in the evening and were very warmly greeted by Simon, the general manager. I cannot emphasize how important his warm welcome was, as we were exhausted and irritated by a travel itinerary that had changed for the worst. I feel he is a great asset to this inn. He told us to relax in this beautiful lobby with the fireplace as he got us ready for the room. It was like walking into paradise!

We were told that there have been some changes at the inn, and if there have been, they must be working. We ate at Hilltoppers, the on-site restaurant for dinner, and it was outstanding - my husband is French and we were certain this chef must have been French. The execution of the cuisine and the service was 5-star. The food was super creative and really delicious, like some of the best French restaurants we frequent. The waitstaff was very friendly and the manager was very professional.

Our accomodation (Hayloft) was so cozy yet had a very large bathroom and the room also had a massive balcony (too bad it was cold!). We had breakfast which again was outstanding and friendly. After breakfast, we walked to the barn and on the grounds which are gorgeous and exactly what I dreamed of doing, being near to the animals and countryside...This setting of "sophisticated country" is hard to find in America and what a pleasure!

My only disappointment is that I asked the morning waitress if it was possible to get the dessert recipe from the night before as it was so amazing, and she giggled and said she would try, but nothing came of it. I then asked the office when we were checking out for it, and they again, laughed but did not even respond! I would have appreciated just hearing a no if it wasn't possible.

Yes, this is an expensive hotel but I agree with another reviewer that it is worth it. Frankly, no detail was missed and I am not sure how they can do all they do for the price. We stayed at the Red Fox Inn the next evening and although the accomodation is cute, it was nearly the same price but not even close in quality of food and service. We were so sad we were not still at the Goodstone.

• Liked — Beautiful inn
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
Herndon, VA
Reviewed November 6, 2008

My boyfriend booked the Goodstone Inn for my birthday. It was a wonderful experience. We had a private room, with a balcony! Upon arriving I was shuttled off to get a massage in the quaint little changing rooms at the pool.

My boyfriend mentioned to the staff that I really liked pumpkin pie ice cream and he was just expecting them to give us directions into town, but they said that the chef had an ice cream maker and he would make it for me.

We rested in our lovely room, with a HUGE bathtub and steam shower, and then went to dinner. The staff gave us privacy yet made sure all of our needs were met. We did not like one of the dishes the chef prepared, but didn't want to send it back.. the waitress could tell and and offered to get us something else. We refused, but the chef still made us another dish of Salmon Cheeks, which were absolultely wonderful.

I had rose petals and champagne waiting on our bed when we returned from a wonderful dinner at the Inn's resturant. I got three scoops of ice cream on a lovely plate that said Happy Birthday written all in chocolate!

We woke up in the morning to a pot of coffee in front of our door and some sweet breads. We got up, and dressed and went off to the Inn's resturant for a lovely breakfast. My boyfriend like the breakfast so much he asked for seconds and they brought it to him, all included in the price of the stay. I really had a wonderful time and the staff was wonderful.

Oh, and we even got to see all the other houses because they are all available to preview if the house is not occupied. Oh, and while we were riding bikes while a fox hunt went through the property. I would love to have our wedding there!

Oh, and the middleburg area was beautiful as well. We had a lovely lunch at the Fox Tavern, although I have to say our Sunday service was much better than our Monday service. Food was great though! I also got some neat gifts at Waggs and Wiggles!

• Liked — The Service, and the amenities
  • Disliked — Not enough towels, and would have liked some bubble bath! Oh, and icky champagne
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
Miami Beach, Florida
Reviewed September 2, 2008

We stayed at Goodstone for the Labor Day weekend and found it to be a terrific getaway. The hotel room (we stayed in the Carriage House) was excellent and well outfitted with amenities. We ate in Hilltoppers (the Inn’s dining room) and, unlike some earlier reviewers, we thought the food was a strong point with excellent service and an appropriately priced wine list. The overall feel of the Inn is like being a guest in a posh country house—everyone knows your name and the staff was uniformly friendly and helpful.

• Liked — Quality of food and frienliness of staff
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
Falls Church, VA
Reviewed October 22, 2007

My husband and I live in Washington DC and we wanted to find a getaway that was close enough to town. We found the Goodstone Inn on the web.

When i think of the inn, i think luxury, delicious gourmet food, getaway, secluded, very romantic, excellent service, reminiscent of of an older time period (especially the pool).

Amenities include a beautiful stone or rock old fashioned pool, hammock/s, hot tub, boats/kayak and so much more.

I couldn't give a higher recommendation to a hotel/B&B. This is just the most beautiful and perfect retreat!

The only cons is the high price but this place is so perfect it's worth the saving up for!

• Liked — everything!
  • Disliked — high price
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
2 Thank jdcreative
Blue Bell, PA
Reviewed August 21, 2007

The Goodstone is a fantastic destination. We spent one night there in the Spring and just booked a 2 night stay for the end of September. The property is fantastic and Middleburg is a great place to explore. The staff consists of consummate professionals and the service and food are first class. We will be taking a few horses this time as there are many great places to ride. I would highly recommend the Goodstone Inn.

Stayed April 2007
2 Thank Younger08202
Also consider these accommodations in or near Middleburg
Airlie
#1 of 1 in Haymarket
The Ashby Inn
The Ashby Inn
#1 of 1 in Paris

Been to Goodstone Inn & Restaurant? Share your experiences!