All reviewscarriage housespring housefrench cottagerolling hillshayloft roombeautiful poolfarm managerspecial occasionbeautiful farmamazing weekendworking farmperfect getawayfull kitchencelebrate our anniversaryliving roomtwo night stayfood and wine
Reviewed August 5, 2013

I was pleasantly surprised by this Inn. I will share two areas for this review: the room and premises; and the food.
The suite we stayed at, the Mare Suite, was just perfect for my husband and I. It provided intimacy, a sense of country with all the amenities of a 5 star hotel. The premises are breathless. We enjoyed a 3 mile hike with amazing views...and afterwards the hot tub!! The views are peaceful and full of charm.
The food, which was originally what was recommended to me, was decadent. The fresh herbs and vegetables (picked up right there from the garden) merge in your mouth with so many flavors. I had one of the best tomato salad with goat cheese and pesto that i have ever had in my life. The sea bass crumbled in your mouth... breakfast was a journey of decadence: thick fresh bacon, a heavenly croissant...needless to say, we enjoyed the food. The only thing that didn't match up with all was the chocolate soufflé, but I have to believe it had to have been a fluke. The apple pie was heaven.
Overall, we felt the price was worth it. We are coming back

• Stayed: August 2013
2  Thank Kachinamicha
Craig B, General Manager at Goodstone Inn & Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded September 9, 2013

Dear kachinamicha,

The Mare suite is a wonderful choice and a great location in the Carriage House. It sounds like you experienced all the outside has to offer on our breath taking property. The views from the Goodstone are picturesque and charming.

You said it perfectly our cuisine is decadent we use only the freshest ingredients in our kitchen. Chef Bens tomato salad is mouth watering delicious and by far a crowd pleaser! Thank you for taking your time to write this review I will share this with my team.

Reviewed July 27, 2013

We stayed at the Goodstone in the Hayloft room for 3 nights and although the overall experience was a pleasureable one, there were definitely some things that I didnt expect to encounter with a property such as this. The grounds are completely beautiful. The pool and pool area, gardens and rest of the grounds were well taken care of and the other outdoor ammenties (hammock and swing) were in great condition. Upon our arrival, our experince began with a lovely lunch in the dining room, while we waited for our room to be ready. We had arrived an hour earlier than planned and were happy that the management were accomodating & allowed us to check in at 2pm instead of the 3pm. Our room above the restaurant was small but closets & drawer spaces were abundant. We were able to completely unpack and store our suitcases in the closets, which typically doesnt happen in most hotel rooms. The private deck that we had was fabulous and had a wonderful view, but the only drawback was that since the cushions are left outside 24/7, they were constantly wet and dirty. It would be a good idea for the inn to store the cushions in one of the closets in the room and allow guests to take out when using. This would not only preserve the lives of the cushions but would also make the entire experience more enjoyable. As it was, we only sat at the table and couldnt utilize the rest of the loungers. People have mentioned that the main house can be noisy but we never heard a sound in our room. The bathroom was spacious with a separate shower and toilet to the main area. The biggest disappointment with the room was the AC, or lack of it. It seems that there is AC as we found floor vents but evidentially it's not working well up there which is why there are two window AC units, one in the bedroom and one in the bathroom. The room was always cool but it a clammy cool & always felt humid. While I was happy to see 2 towel rods in the bathroom, the towels never dried due to the constant humidity in the room so we ended up having to request new ones each day. Then, one night we opted for no turn down service and had left lights on but hadn't drawn the drapes or blinds as we headed out for dinner in Leesburg. When we returned around 10:30pm, there were about 20 flying ants in the bathroom - it was awful. I went downstairs to try to locate some bug spray but was told that guest services had already left. The kitchen manager looked around but couldnt locate any. The are many reviews that indicate that bugs (ants, spiders and stink bugs) are an issue at the Goodstone and while I do realize that the property is in the countryside, I would have expected them to be better prepared. Perhaps a can of bug spray in each room would be a good idea? I also agree with some of the comments regarding the need for updates in the rooms. While I cant speak for the other rooms, the Hayloft, while very charming, needed a little TLC. The chair & ottoman fabric were really worn and in need of a facelift. Bed linens were very basic and not what I would expect for an inn of this calibre. For a nighly rate of $450 before tax, I expected a little more. Breakfast was always delicious with freshly squeezed orange juice, fresh farm eggs that were fabulous and home-made croissants & preserves. From a service perspective, while the staff seemed to be genuinely friendly, on Saturday and Sunday when there were more guests dining, they could have used more servers. Would we go back to the Goodstone? Absolutely...but I'd try another room, one with central AC.

Room Tip: The Hayloft is above the restaurant in the main house and is only accessed by a set of very steep stairs. If you have difficulty climbing stars, I wouldnt recommend this room.
3  Thank styletraveler1967

Dear styletraveler1967,
Thank you for your constructive comments and they are noted. Our guest come first so if your room is ready we are very happy to check you in. The Hayloft room is very nice and the private deck is one of a kind so the cushions should be stored inside.
I do apologize that you had found ants that is not normal and we take all precautions with our professional pest control company, but sometimes those little pest sneak in.
I am happy you enjoyed the rest of your stay and hope you visit us again soon.

Reviewed July 26, 2013

*** Older people or people with disabilities... please read the very last part of my review***

We highly recommend this inn, but are a tad hesitant to spread the word. This is a true gem! As you may see by clicking on my user name, I am well travelled and have stayed at many magnificent properties. The Goodstone is among my very favorites... In fact, it is right up there with the uber plush Ranch at Rock Creek!
The atmosphere is tranquil and private. The accommodations are quaint and clean and cozy and the staff are earnest and polite and understand the expectations of guests who are accustomed to staying in a luxury resort.
Highlights include; a very, very relaxed atmosphere where one can bask in the sun by a lovely pool of glistening water or meander on trails that lead one through cow pastures and an iconic familial graveyard from the 1700's, visit a working farm replete with vegetables likely to be on one's plate at dinner, enjoy a divine breakfast including fresh eggs gathered from the hens nests earlier in the morning then the Goodstone Inn is an excellent choice!
A perfect place for utter privacy and tranquility.
This would be an aaaaaammmmmaaaazing honeymoon spot! Weddings held here here must be spectacular!
I do hope that we have the opportunity to return to this oasis sometime soon.
*** if you have mobility issues, be sure you mention that to the reservations person...our room and bathroom would not be appropriate for a person with a disability! Bathtub/ shower was lovely claw foot type, but without a rail to hold on to and a huge step to get into. We both felt it was precarious and we are in excellent health.

Room Tip: Mention any mobility concerns during reservations
2  Thank lindz3

Dear lindz,
What a wonderful review you gave the Goodstone Inn. I am so pleased you were able to relax by the beautiful pool over looking the rolling fields and farm. You are exactly right the atmosphere is tranquil and private. With 265 acres and only 18 luxury rooms there is plenty of space.
It is nice you took the time to enjoy the outdoors as we have many options for activities. We always have farm fresh eggs for breakfast and now Chef is making his own sausage.
We are a spectacular wedding and honeymoon spot so spread the word. Thank you again we look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed July 9, 2013

We stayed for 3 nights in the beautifully appointed Mare Suite located in the Carriage House. I had read some reviews to not stay in the Carriage House due to noisy guests coming and going from the restaurant area. We didn't find noise levels to be any problem. I highly recommend finding the guest directory/information book as it outlines many different activities at the Inn and the surrounding areas. Of course, every single host/hostess we spoke with were equally as helpful and genuinely seemed to want one's stay to be perfect. We almost missed the fact that tea and scones were served in the afternoon but the hostess asked if we would like some since we missed tea time.
The room was very comfortable and the walk to the pool area short. The pool is set in such a relaxing and inviting area. The dressing/toilet area had a shower stall, toilet, pool towels, a small fridge with waters, shampoo/soaps and was immaculate.
We didn't explore the walking trails around the property but did go visit the small groupings of animals. I understand the 600 pound rescue pig, Oliver, gets walked by the caretaker!
Breakfast is included using the farm fresh eggs from their own hens. The homemade croissants were buttery and paired with jelly made on site-a culinary treat! Of course there are items like oatmeal, homemade granola and yogurt as additional choices.
We had dinner one evening and decided to go with the prix fixe menu. It was a lot of food but every course delicious. I had the Sea Bass entree and my husband the rack of lamb. Both were very delicious. Chocolate souffles seemed to popular with the diners. We opted for a creme brulee and some sort of chocolate mousse cake with raspberry sauce (the better of the 2 desserts by far). So, now back to the diet!
Overall, we found this inn so relaxing and the hospitality was out of this world.

Room Tip: I would suggest the traveler look at the map of the property on the Inn's website. Each room seems lovely in its own way. I think you need to decide what type of area you would like to stay: near the restaurant, near the farm animals, in a 2 room cottage, do you want a kitchen, etc.
2  Thank fly_momFl

Dear fly_momFl,

Thank you for spending three nights with us at the Goodstone. We are truly the hidden gem in Middleburg our location and views just can not be beat. I am please you enjoyed your stay and our staff. The Goodstone staff strives to be the best and make our guest feel comfortable.
Our scones are made fresh daily, so glad you had one! We hope that the next time your in Northern VA you visit the Goodstone Inn and Restaurant again!

Reviewed June 24, 2013

Great hospitality, interesting room and fantastic food... we will be back.

To celebrate a birthday, we stayed one night and had dinner. Only regrets were that we didn't arrive earlier and weren't able to stay longer. Dinner was excellent - we went for the four-course meal with Chateaubriand. The soufflés topped of the meal perfectly... Breakfast was equally good, although it was hard to do justice to it after such a large dinner.

We also enjoyed the large, relatively private deck for the Hayloft room - great for both pre-and post-dinner relaxation. Next time we'll plan ahead more and take advantage of other activities available...

Room Tip: If the noise of air conditioners bothers you, the Hayloft may not be a good choice for you on hot days. The upper floor location meant they worked hard (and noisily) through the night.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mnt7fan
Craig B, General Manager at Goodstone Inn & Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded June 27, 2013

Greetings Mnt7fan,

The staff and I are pleased that you enjoyed your stay at the Goodstone Inn this past week. The views from the private balcony of the Hayloft are truly special. I hope you were able to enjoy your favorite beverage under the stars the night you were here.

The Chateaubriand is one of my dinner favorites, our chef will be pleased that you enjoyed your entire dining experience, dinner and breakfast. On your next visit you might want to consider selecting a picnic lunch to take with you as you explore the trails and grounds either on foot or on one of our complimentary bikes.

Thank you for staying at the Goodstone Inn, we look forward to seeing you soon.

Regards,