“A nice escape within an hours drive”

Goodstone Inn & Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 8 Middleburg B&B and Inns
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“A nice escape within an hours drive”
Reviewed August 19, 2013

We stayed here this past August and booked the Ambassador room which was cozy with a nice bed and a large bathroom. The room is located in the top floor of the Spring House. If I did it again, I might splurge for the for a larger room, but I kind of felt I was splurging anyway at $385 a night. Also, you are pretty far from the main house (Carriage House) which houses reception, lounge and restaurant. The pool is nearby the main house too. You can definitely walk but it's a tad far. We booked a dinner reservation for 8pm. They were out of couple of things on the menu already and attributed to a busier than expected first seating. We had a pre-fixe 4 course meal that was excellent, slow service seems intended so relax and enjoy. I was bit dismayed upon my discovery that a package deal which included a 4 course meal would have been the way to go but my bad for not investigating thoroughly. So definitely check their website for deals. The grounds are lovely and made a great trek that will take you over an hour walking a decent pace. There are streams, cows, ponds, even a friendly poodle who hung with us until some joggers came by, just really lovely and pastoral. It's definitely a special place that almost feels out of a novel or something. The staff is excellent and gave us a full list of recommendation for touring wineries in the area. Linda was really sweet and even prepared a little gift bag for our drive home. All in all I can't help but expect a little more on the accommodations front for the money paid but the staff and surroundings almost made up for it. I don't tend to spend more than $350 for hotel rooms anywhere, so it's mental thing with me, I expected to be blown away. PS- Breakfast is included and it's pretty awesome.

Room Tip: Rooms are in building dispersed throughout the grounds. It's a big place, check they resort map.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank jno2011
Craig B, General Manager at Goodstone Inn & Restaurant, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
Dear jno2011,

Thank you for splurging on the Goodstone we appreciate your business. We run specials throughout the year so please check our website or simply call us directly. I am happy you enjoyed your stay in the Ambassador it is a nice room in the Spring House.. When dining at the Goodstone or any other fine dining establishment keep in mind every dish is made fresh so allow a little extra time to enjoy the whole experience.
We hope you visit the Goodstone soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Reviewed August 5, 2013

I was pleasantly surprised by this Inn. I will share two areas for this review: the room and premises; and the food.
The suite we stayed at, the Mare Suite, was just perfect for my husband and I. It provided intimacy, a sense of country with all the amenities of a 5 star hotel. The premises are breathless. We enjoyed a 3 mile hike with amazing views...and afterwards the hot tub!! The views are peaceful and full of charm.
The food, which was originally what was recommended to me, was decadent. The fresh herbs and vegetables (picked up right there from the garden) merge in your mouth with so many flavors. I had one of the best tomato salad with goat cheese and pesto that i have ever had in my life. The sea bass crumbled in your mouth... breakfast was a journey of decadence: thick fresh bacon, a heavenly croissant...needless to say, we enjoyed the food. The only thing that didn't match up with all was the chocolate soufflé, but I have to believe it had to have been a fluke. The apple pie was heaven.
Overall, we felt the price was worth it. We are coming back

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank Kachinamicha
Dear kachinamicha,

The Mare suite is a wonderful choice and a great location in the Carriage House. It sounds like you experienced all the outside has to offer on our breath taking property. The views from the Goodstone are picturesque and charming.

You said it perfectly our cuisine is decadent we use only the freshest ingredients in our kitchen. Chef Bens tomato salad is mouth watering delicious and by far a crowd pleaser! Thank you for taking your time to write this review I will share this with my team.
Palm Beach Gardens, Florida
Reviewed July 27, 2013

We stayed at the Goodstone in the Hayloft room for 3 nights and although the overall experience was a pleasureable one, there were definitely some things that I didnt expect to encounter with a property such as this. The grounds are completely beautiful. The pool and pool area, gardens and rest of the grounds were well taken care of and the other outdoor ammenties (hammock and swing) were in great condition. Upon our arrival, our experince began with a lovely lunch in the dining room, while we waited for our room to be ready. We had arrived an hour earlier than planned and were happy that the management were accomodating & allowed us to check in at 2pm instead of the 3pm. Our room above the restaurant was small but closets & drawer spaces were abundant. We were able to completely unpack and store our suitcases in the closets, which typically doesnt happen in most hotel rooms. The private deck that we had was fabulous and had a wonderful view, but the only drawback was that since the cushions are left outside 24/7, they were constantly wet and dirty. It would be a good idea for the inn to store the cushions in one of the closets in the room and allow guests to take out when using. This would not only preserve the lives of the cushions but would also make the entire experience more enjoyable. As it was, we only sat at the table and couldnt utilize the rest of the loungers. People have mentioned that the main house can be noisy but we never heard a sound in our room. The bathroom was spacious with a separate shower and toilet to the main area. The biggest disappointment with the room was the AC, or lack of it. It seems that there is AC as we found floor vents but evidentially it's not working well up there which is why there are two window AC units, one in the bedroom and one in the bathroom. The room was always cool but it a clammy cool & always felt humid. While I was happy to see 2 towel rods in the bathroom, the towels never dried due to the constant humidity in the room so we ended up having to request new ones each day. Then, one night we opted for no turn down service and had left lights on but hadn't drawn the drapes or blinds as we headed out for dinner in Leesburg. When we returned around 10:30pm, there were about 20 flying ants in the bathroom - it was awful. I went downstairs to try to locate some bug spray but was told that guest services had already left. The kitchen manager looked around but couldnt locate any. The are many reviews that indicate that bugs (ants, spiders and stink bugs) are an issue at the Goodstone and while I do realize that the property is in the countryside, I would have expected them to be better prepared. Perhaps a can of bug spray in each room would be a good idea? I also agree with some of the comments regarding the need for updates in the rooms. While I cant speak for the other rooms, the Hayloft, while very charming, needed a little TLC. The chair & ottoman fabric were really worn and in need of a facelift. Bed linens were very basic and not what I would expect for an inn of this calibre. For a nighly rate of $450 before tax, I expected a little more. Breakfast was always delicious with freshly squeezed orange juice, fresh farm eggs that were fabulous and home-made croissants & preserves. From a service perspective, while the staff seemed to be genuinely friendly, on Saturday and Sunday when there were more guests dining, they could have used more servers. Would we go back to the Goodstone? Absolutely...but I'd try another room, one with central AC.

Room Tip: The Hayloft is above the restaurant in the main house and is only accessed by a set of very steep st...
3 Thank styletraveler1967
Dear styletraveler1967,
Thank you for your constructive comments and they are noted. Our guest come first so if your room is ready we are very happy to check you in. The Hayloft room is very nice and the private deck is one of a kind so the cushions should be stored inside.
I do apologize that you had found ants that is not normal and we take all precautions with our professional pest control company, but sometimes those little pest sneak in.
I am happy you enjoyed the rest of your stay and hope you visit us again soon.
Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed July 26, 2013

*** Older people or people with disabilities... please read the very last part of my review***

We highly recommend this inn, but are a tad hesitant to spread the word. This is a true gem! As you may see by clicking on my user name, I am well travelled and have stayed at many magnificent properties. The Goodstone is among my very favorites... In fact, it is right up there with the uber plush Ranch at Rock Creek!
The atmosphere is tranquil and private. The accommodations are quaint and clean and cozy and the staff are earnest and polite and understand the expectations of guests who are accustomed to staying in a luxury resort.
Highlights include; a very, very relaxed atmosphere where one can bask in the sun by a lovely pool of glistening water or meander on trails that lead one through cow pastures and an iconic familial graveyard from the 1700's, visit a working farm replete with vegetables likely to be on one's plate at dinner, enjoy a divine breakfast including fresh eggs gathered from the hens nests earlier in the morning then the Goodstone Inn is an excellent choice!
A perfect place for utter privacy and tranquility.
This would be an aaaaaammmmmaaaazing honeymoon spot! Weddings held here here must be spectacular!
I do hope that we have the opportunity to return to this oasis sometime soon.
*** if you have mobility issues, be sure you mention that to the reservations person...our room and bathroom would not be appropriate for a person with a disability! Bathtub/ shower was lovely claw foot type, but without a rail to hold on to and a huge step to get into. We both felt it was precarious and we are in excellent health.

Room Tip: Mention any mobility concerns during reservations
2 Thank lindz3
Dear lindz,
What a wonderful review you gave the Goodstone Inn. I am so pleased you were able to relax by the beautiful pool over looking the rolling fields and farm. You are exactly right the atmosphere is tranquil and private. With 265 acres and only 18 luxury rooms there is plenty of space.
It is nice you took the time to enjoy the outdoors as we have many options for activities. We always have farm fresh eggs for breakfast and now Chef is making his own sausage.
We are a spectacular wedding and honeymoon spot so spread the word. Thank you again we look forward to your next visit.
FL
Reviewed July 9, 2013

We stayed for 3 nights in the beautifully appointed Mare Suite located in the Carriage House. I had read some reviews to not stay in the Carriage House due to noisy guests coming and going from the restaurant area. We didn't find noise levels to be any problem. I highly recommend finding the guest directory/information book as it outlines many different activities at the Inn and the surrounding areas. Of course, every single host/hostess we spoke with were equally as helpful and genuinely seemed to want one's stay to be perfect. We almost missed the fact that tea and scones were served in the afternoon but the hostess asked if we would like some since we missed tea time.
The room was very comfortable and the walk to the pool area short. The pool is set in such a relaxing and inviting area. The dressing/toilet area had a shower stall, toilet, pool towels, a small fridge with waters, shampoo/soaps and was immaculate.
We didn't explore the walking trails around the property but did go visit the small groupings of animals. I understand the 600 pound rescue pig, Oliver, gets walked by the caretaker!
Breakfast is included using the farm fresh eggs from their own hens. The homemade croissants were buttery and paired with jelly made on site-a culinary treat! Of course there are items like oatmeal, homemade granola and yogurt as additional choices.
We had dinner one evening and decided to go with the prix fixe menu. It was a lot of food but every course delicious. I had the Sea Bass entree and my husband the rack of lamb. Both were very delicious. Chocolate souffles seemed to popular with the diners. We opted for a creme brulee and some sort of chocolate mousse cake with raspberry sauce (the better of the 2 desserts by far). So, now back to the diet!
Overall, we found this inn so relaxing and the hospitality was out of this world.

Room Tip: I would suggest the traveler look at the map of the property on the Inn's website. Each room se...
2 Thank fly_momFl
Dear fly_momFl,

Thank you for spending three nights with us at the Goodstone. We are truly the hidden gem in Middleburg our location and views just can not be beat. I am please you enjoyed your stay and our staff. The Goodstone staff strives to be the best and make our guest feel comfortable.
Our scones are made fresh daily, so glad you had one! We hope that the next time your in Northern VA you visit the Goodstone Inn and Restaurant again!
Virginia, USA
Reviewed June 24, 2013

Great hospitality, interesting room and fantastic food... we will be back.

To celebrate a birthday, we stayed one night and had dinner. Only regrets were that we didn't arrive earlier and weren't able to stay longer. Dinner was excellent - we went for the four-course meal with Chateaubriand. The soufflés topped of the meal perfectly... Breakfast was equally good, although it was hard to do justice to it after such a large dinner.

We also enjoyed the large, relatively private deck for the Hayloft room - great for both pre-and post-dinner relaxation. Next time we'll plan ahead more and take advantage of other activities available...

Room Tip: If the noise of air conditioners bothers you, the Hayloft may not be a good choice for you on hot da...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Mnt7fan
Craig B, General Manager at Goodstone Inn & Restaurant, responded to this review, June 27, 2013
Greetings Mnt7fan,

The staff and I are pleased that you enjoyed your stay at the Goodstone Inn this past week. The views from the private balcony of the Hayloft are truly special. I hope you were able to enjoy your favorite beverage under the stars the night you were here.

The Chateaubriand is one of my dinner favorites, our chef will be pleased that you enjoyed your entire dining experience, dinner and breakfast. On your next visit you might want to consider selecting a picnic lunch to take with you as you explore the trails and grounds either on foot or on one of our complimentary bikes.

Thank you for staying at the Goodstone Inn, we look forward to seeing you soon.

Regards,

Craig Boyer
Alamo, California, United States
Reviewed June 9, 2013

My spouse and I stayed at the Goodstone Inn the first weekend in June. It was lovely. I first visited the property in 2008, and had been wanting to return for a long weekend. The charming property and the terrific staff did not disappoint.

We stayed for 3 nights in the Dutch Cottage. Well located near the pool and restaurant, we enjoyed this cute stone cottage, which was built before the Civil War. There are two bedrooms on the second floor and a nice living room and kitchen on the first floor. The room was well appointed, with a large bathroom with a jetted tub. The bed was very comfy and I slept soundly each night.

Breakfast was complimentary and was was terrific. The orange juice is truly freshly squeezed, and the coffee was strong and tasty. The homemade croissants were delicious-light and flaky, they melted in your mouth. One morning we enjoyed fresh baked biscuits, which were also delicious. The egg dishes were excellent, and I enjoyed a mushroom omelet with goat cheese, and crispy bacon.

We ate one dinner at the Inn and it was the best meal that we have had in a long time. And we consider ourselves foodies, and eat out often in the San Francisco Bay area, which is known for its excellent restaurants. So we are no stranger to good food, and this was truly superb. For appetizers, we ordered the Escargot. I loved the spices that were used in the sauce, which gave the snails a truly unique taste. For our entree, my spouse and I ordered the Chateaubriand, which was cooked to perfection and accompanied by a medley of fresh vegetables. Everything was excellent, and we finished the meal with a decadent (and yummy) chocolate soufflé. The wine list was extensive. Like breakfast, the service was excellent. It was truly a memorable meal.

Take advantage of the walking trails, which are all over the property. Seek out Oliver, the largest pig I have ever seen. Rest, relax and enjoy the perfect weekend in a beautiful part of our country, rich in history. And if you have time, go see Oatlands Plantation, which is near Leesburg. One of the friendly staff people recommended a visit, and she was right. Filled with history, it will not disappoint.

My spouse and I look forward to our next trip.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Pamela F
Craig B, General Manager at Goodstone Inn & Restaurant, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
Dear Pam F,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent stay at the Goodstone Inn. The staff works hard to make sure that each stay is memorable and special and I am pleased to read that you thoroughly enjoyed your visit.

The Inn is located in a remarkable setting, close to the hub of Washington D.C. but just a short drive away is the relaxing and scenic tranquility of the horse country of northern, VA.

We look forward to your return the next time you are this side of the country.

Regards,

Craig Boyer
Also consider these accommodations in or near Middleburg
Airlie
Lansdowne Resort and Spa
Middleburg Country Inn
Middleburg Country Inn
#4 of 8 in Middleburg

Been to Goodstone Inn & Restaurant? Share your experiences!