“Great getaway - hope to return soon!”

Goodstone Inn & Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 8 Middleburg B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 2, 2013

We just returned from a fantastic weekend at the Goodstone Inn. Everything about the experience was terrific – our accommodations, the grounds, the food and drink, and the staff. We had a delicious lunch and relaxing afternoon by the pool the day we arrived. It helped that the weather was perfect. The pool is adjacent to the ruins of the original manor house, which burned down in the 1930s. The front wall of the house is still standing and covered with ivy. To enter the pool area, you walk through what presumably was the front door of the house (there's an iron gate now). It’s very unique and very cool. There is a large pergola with flowering vines and huge old oaks that provide great shade. There’s also a sunny area around the pool for those who want to sunbathe. The pool sits on top of a hill, providing beautiful views of the surrounding countryside. It’s a great spot. We stayed in the Bull Barn, which exceeded our expectations in every regard. The rooms are big and bright with high ceilings, and every window offers views of the surrounding pastures. It’s rustic elegance at its best. The barn is off by itself -- very quiet and private. It even comes with a resident llama. We loved it. Dinner at the Carriage House was delightful and delicious, and breakfast was excellent too. Both were memorable meals. The staff was super nice, very helpful and went out of their way to make us feel welcome. We had a great time and hope to return soon!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Greg1319
Linda B, General Manager at Goodstone Inn & Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded June 10, 2013

Dear Greg1319,

It was nice to meet you and your wife during your recent stay. Your description of the famous outdoor pool is spot on! The pool and Woodsy Garden area exceed all expectations for its preserved historical beauty……a must see.

What a great weekend to relax and enjoy a night away with no children, if memory serves me right you both slept in until 9:30, couldn’t do that at home!

I am glad you enjoyed breakfast and dinner at the Goodstone Inn, the country picnics are something we enjoy as well. The culinary team strives to make them all memorable with our farm to table ingredients.

We hope we see you again soon and enjoy the rest of your summer.

W. Craig Boyer

Goodstone Inn and Restaurant

There are newer reviews for Goodstone Inn & Restaurant

Reviewed June 2, 2013

We just spent a long weekend at the Goodstone Inn and our visit was heavenly! We stayed in the Stallion Suite and it's sumptuous coziness was just what the doctor ordered. The property itself is quite expansive, with wonderful rolling hills & lovely gardens. It was Peony season.....which is one of my favorite flowers.....and they were blooming everywhere!

The pool is located in a very special setting and you can easily spend hours there, it is that relaxing! The walking trails are bucolic, as well as challenging. You will come across plenty of barnyard animals as well as the occasional deer, groundhog or squirrel.....and numerous species of birds.

The restaurant is the 'pièce de résistance'! The food is so delicious that we chose to dine there every evening. The service was top notch, as well. Please don't pass up the inclusive breakfast as it is a divine way to begin your day.

The town of Middleburg is very quaint and there are additional activities nearby to occupy your days. All-in-all, I highly recommend the Goodstone Inn to anyone looking for a romantic, storybook setting and a delicious meal!

Dear khittinger,

Thank you for your recent review on Trip Advisor. The Stallion Suite is a great choice and location for those who like to be closer to the restaurant. The staff and I are so pleased you dined with us each night of your stay…what a compliment!

There is no better way to start your day than a wonderfully prepared hearty breakfast from the Goodstone Kitchen where our culinary talent works hard to serve the freshest ingredients each day including those grown right from our farm.

Peony season is a beautiful time of year around the Goodstone as we have so many and use them to decorate inside as well, your visit was when they were in full bloom! Hope you took some home.

We look forward to your return and thank you for visiting.

W. Craig Boyer
Goodstone Inn and Restaurant

Reviewed May 17, 2013

Glorious hotel tucked in the rolling hills of Virginia.
Close to town to shop and eat....so much to choose from there!
Breakfast wasn't spectacular, but the view and service made up for it. We were also the only people there that morning so perhaps the chef wasn't working that day.

1  Thank Ann34618
Matt D, Guest Relations Manager at Goodstone Inn & Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded May 18, 2013

Ann34618,

Thank you for your kind words. Peace, tranquility, and beauty are all treats the not only we pride ourselves on but characteristics that make Goodstone so special.

We look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed May 16, 2013

I can't stop thinking about the most wonderful week I had at Goodstone last month. Middleburg, VA is one of the most special places on this side of the continent, and there is no where I'd rather be, any time of the year to see the seasons change, than at Goodstone.

It's best to arrive during the daytime to appreciate the drive through the charming town center of Middleburg (established in 1787) and then journey on through the rolling hills that gracefully wind through horse farms lined with historic low stone walls. There is something about arriving at Goodstone; the lay of the land, the welcoming staff, the splendid rooms w/ luxurious baths, the meals and the genuine care and attention devoted to the guests that re-sets my own clock and makes me feel so grateful to be alive. While the check-in process is every bit as efficient as one expects at a first rate hotel, I felt walking into the Carriage House sitting room, I was being warmly invited by Goodstone staff members, Austin and Emily, into small private club.

The respectful nature of the guests (from all over the world) Goodstone attracts, with the passing interactions, whether along the hiking trails or coming in for a cocktail before dinner, is really part of the whole wonderful Goodstone experience.

There were couple of things I'd like to highlight from my recent trip. First--the incredible breakfasts prepared by Chef Maxine were exceptional! The intense orange color of the yolk in my Eggs Benedict made me think these must be duck eggs. They were in fact farm eggs that were brought up to the kitchen that morning. That first breakfast was so perfect that I don't think I'll ever forget it. Not to be outdone by the eggs with glorious hollandaise, Chef Maxine made me what she called, "a rainbow omelet" for my next breakfast. Made with those incredible farm eggs, Chef Maxine stuffed the omelet with velvety smoked salmon & capers, and topped it with creme fresh and a heaping spoonful of Osetra caviar. All of the food was delicious and presented lovingly; plated with tender mashe or edible flowers from the garden.

Speaking of the garden...the Goodstone farm tours recommended are fabulous for anyone who loves to garden or for someone who has never seen a spring lamb being born. That was an incredible site that I shared with my sister and her 3 year son. My little nephew could not get enough of the cows, chickens and Oliver, the 750lb pig. He loved the lambs the most, and I can't thank the farm manager Chris Hines enough, and his lovely assistant Seanne, who led our tour and patiently introduced all of the Goodstone animals to us before she had to leave to attend to their new beehive.

I, too had to return to my urban hive after 5 delightful days, and imagine I will be dreaming of Goodstone again as I fall asleep tonight. I did not not want to leave that last morning of my visit, and tried to make each minute last. When I finally had checked out and was slowly walking to my car, Mr. Hines, the farm manager, came up behind me and gave me a carton of a dozen farm eggs he'd just gathered for me to take home. Nothing could have been more perfect. I just can't wait to return.

Room Tip: I think I've stayed in every room at every hotel in Middleburg, VA, including the recently updat...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank DCROSS1968

DCROSS1968,

Thank you for your kind words and on behalf of everyone at Goodstone, it was a true pleasure to meet you and have you as our guest. Usually our patrons talk about the level of service we provide; how intimate yet professional the discussion is. I would have to say that the ease and breadth of conversation and your genuine sense of hospitality makes you one in a million!

We sincerely hope you visit soon and forever know that you will always have friends at Goodstone.

Reviewed May 15, 2013

The Goodstone Inn is a charming B&B in a beautiful Virginia setting. We stayed in the Dutch Cottage for one night. The grounds are beautifully maintained, loved all the budding flowers.
In addition, the beds are super comfortable. When returning from our business dinner, we found freshly baked chocolate chip cookies in our kitchen. The breakfast was outstanding with fresh eggs, gorgeous flaky croissants and luscious chocolate chip scones. We did not have time to see the 600LBS rescue pig who is walked every morning by the groundskeeper. Hopefully next time.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Henriette B

Henriette B,

Thank you for your kind words. Breakfast, cookies and scones are made daily by our wonderful cook, Maxine. Her recipes are in high demand (especially her scone recipe!).

As for Oliver, he will be awaiting (probably in the same spot) for your next visit. We all hope it will be soon.

Reviewed May 15, 2013

Wanted a nice stay in the Virginia Hunt country with a great meal and quiet setting. We got both. First, it is pricey and off the beaten path, one is good the other not so. We did an overnight for our anniversery and having been to the restaurant once and had seen the place before. We selected one of the suites in the French Farmhouse. Being a Sunday evening the other two rooms were vacant so we had the whole house to ourselves. Bed was good, bathroom nice and big with a jacuzzi tub that worked as promised. The common area when not shared is awesome. Large living room and a porch and patio to set outside on. We used both. The room includes complimentary sodas and water, which is appreciated, especially if you did long walks on the property as we did. The grounds are very accessiable and walking paths were mowed to allow both guidance and ease of walking. Pool area is nice though we did not utilize it.

Dinner was very good, with the duck being especially good. Breakfast was hardy and hot. Small dining room with only a few couples on Sunday evening though they were dealing with a larger group in the Wine Cellar room downstairs. We had eaten in the Wine Cellar on our previous visit and the experience was very nice. They have a new executive chef, who came to greet us when we asked to meet him. I had read that some former patrons were unhappy with the change in dining options, but I did not notice a material change in quality between my two visits under different chefs.

I would also note that the best part of the experience was the staff. From the first greeting at door, the personal attention in showing us our suite; through cocktails, dinner and breakfast, we were treated in a truly professional manner. The service was attentive without being smothering.

I know everyone's experience is different, but for my money we got the weekend we wanted and if you like quiet elegance without over the top opulance, this place can deliver.

1  Thank happyg68

happyg68,

Thank you for your kind words and for choosing the Goodstone for your special getaway. We are VERY fortunate to have Executive Chef Ian Dieter and his culinary team on our side. His use of our farm-fresh ingredients in a French inspired menu is truly one of a kind.

We hope to see you on your next anniversary (if not before!).

Reviewed May 9, 2013

We booked the Bull Barn for 2 days. It is a private, beautifully restored former mating bull barn from the original farm. It is set amongst the sprawling grazing fields for the sheep and cows. The grounds are spectacular, and waking up early in the morning, witnessing mother nature in all of her splendor was grounding and made me feel wonderfully ALIVE!
We had a couple of glitches in our suite, but thanks to Dana Henry (who is an absolutely outstanding employee)........she went " over and above" to accommodate us in a genuine and caring manner. She made certain that we were happy, comfortable and having a great time.
We loved walking and biking all over the vast property and visiting the sheep, Grayson the llama, Oliver the pig, the chickens and the cows. The included breakfast was so fresh and mouth watering. We also enjoyed our wonderful dinner there as well.
The next time we visit, I would love to spend some time relaxing in the pool area, the setting with the façade of the original house is breathtaking. This is a place that we will definitely be visiting again soon........it is a rare and special place, which takes you back to a time when life was placid and unperturbed.

1  Thank FallsChurchJordi
Matt D, Guest Relations Manager at Goodstone Inn & Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded May 11, 2013

FallsChurchJordi,

Thank you very much for your kind words. We very much take pride in taking care of our guests and Dana is a wonderful hotelier! We are very fortunate to have her as a member of our team.

Grayson has fully integrated himself as a member of our sheep community and keeps a very watchful eye on his new "kids".

When celebrating your next birthday, we hope to see you back at the Goodstone Inn.

Guest Service Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Middleburg
Airlie
Lansdowne Resort and Spa
Inn at Evergreen
Inn at Evergreen
#1 of 1 in Haymarket

Been to Goodstone Inn & Restaurant? Share your experiences!