A last-minute weekend getaway got off on the wrong foot when the staff informed us that the suite we had reserved only hours before really wasn't available, and that we were being "upgraded" (in reality, just "moved") to the main carriage house. We suspect the real reason was that the original room - which is in a separate building further out on the property - was probably the only one they had rented in that building, and it would require sending housekeeping out to the far corners of the property for only one room.
As a result, we ended up in a ground floor suite that opens onto the main walk into the property. Windows on the back side looked onto the parking lot and service walkway. We had two nights of noise and light (drapes in the room were not blackout drapes, so the light from the outdoor spotlights kept the room very bright). Neither is conducive to sleep. To top it off, what was billed as a queen sized four-poster was actually a double. We know...we have a queen bed at home.
Food and beverage were better, though we did not find the dining room particularly comfortable. The chairs in particular were somewhat saggy and uncomfortable. The room was laid out in a simple rectangle with tables around the perimeter and a row down the middle - about 36 seats in all. Nothing to break up the space and give guests any sense of privacy. The seating in the bar/reception/living room space (take your pick - it serves all 3 purposes) was more comfortable, but while they serve breakfast there, they do not serve dinner. Only appetizers.
Food quality was good, so maybe some of the earlier posts have made a difference. Or maybe it's just an inconsistent kitchen. In any event, our experience was good, though very expensive.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Goodstone Inn & Restaurant in Middleburg, Virginia, is a luxurious country inn and French restaurant in the heart of Virginia's wine and horse country. Drawing inspiration and purpose from its location on 265 acres of rolling hills and farmland, the Restaurant at Goodstone provides its guests with an unparalleled farm-to-table dining experience. The luxury country inn offers 18 elegantly decorated guest rooms and suites in six distinctive dwellings, including the Carriage House (main building), Dutch Cottage, French Farm Cottage, Spring House, Manor House and Bull Barn Cottage. Other amenities include Goodstone's country spa, wine cellar dining room, horse-themed Carriage House bar, exquisite heated pool set beneath the Wisteria-covered facade of the Old Mansion, and working farm. Goodstone Inn & Restaurant offers the charming ambiance of an 18th century country estate with the convenience, luxury and service expected by 21st century guests. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Expedia, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Priceline, Hotwire, Agoda and Cheap Tickets so you can book your Goodstone Inn & Restaurant reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Goodstone Inn & Restaurant Hotel Middleburg
- Goodstone Inn And Restaurant