All reviewscarriage housespring housefrench cottagerolling hillshayloft roombeautiful poolfarm managerspecial occasionbeautiful farmamazing weekendworking farmperfect getawayfull kitchencelebrate our anniversaryliving roomtwo night stayfood and wine
Reviewed April 17, 2011

My wife and I went here for a short weekend getaway for our 10th anniversary to get a break from our small kids. The atmosphere was perfectly serene, quiet, and relaxing — just what we needed. My wife got a massage, I sat around reading and taking pictures outside. Then we had a lovely dinner and watched the "super moon" from the outdoor hot tub.

After a perfect day, we did hit one snag at night. The couple staying below us were apparently practicing for an appearance on Jersey Shore. The arguing and yelling went past our bedtime and was really annoying. I reluctantly called the "emergency" manager line around midnight to tell them we could not stay in this room. James, the customer service manager, came to our rescue and set us up in the "owner's" room for good night's sleep.

James handled this uncomfortable situation extremely well, and I would not hold the momentary frustration of listening to those people against Goodstone at all. On the contrary, they did their best to ensure we continued our wonderful stay peacefully.

If you're in Northern Virginia, this is a great place to get away without spending so much on travel. And even from farther out, it's worth a stay if you're passing through.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 14, 2011

Deep in the heart of the countryside, softly rolling hills make a vista of tranquil birds chirping in the misty afternoon as we arrive.

The bull barn cottage (built 2 years ago) , which you approach by a charming curving stone pathway, is nicely landscaped with flowers.

On entering, everything looks old, on purpose. With wide plank wood floors It’s glorious to not see anyone except the view – really makes you feel as if you are in your own house – which for the night, you are.

There is a small living room with a wood burning fireplace, flat screen tv hidden behind a cabinet, and adjoining wet bar with complimentary water and soft drinks, with leather upholstered chaise lounge and easy chair.

The wood throughout the cabin is the lowest grade of knotty plank, rough and mostly unfinished “reclaimed” wood which really just means old boards lying around, used instead of grade A plank I suspect to save money.

A cozy bedroom with the only king sized bed out of all the accommodations on property. Tiny closet. The bed sits up high with a firm 14” thick mattress and thin duvet.

2 sleeping pillows, one of which is king sized and one of which is standards size, neither with a pillowcase protector, and instead of the 100% goose down I have come to expect with luxury boutique hotels , both extra-firm foam which is rock hard.

The bathroom has heated floors, a wonderful Jacuzzi tub with a generous surround by a 3 sided window niche that looks out upon an inviting hammock in the yard, double copper sinks, and a two headed steam shower with a seat. Heaven.

Amenities are tiny at 1.18 ounces.
Towels are very soft and delightfully very thick.
Bathrobes are semi-soft, coming to 3” above my wrists and 3” below my kneecaps.

The bull barn is compact, and you have to edge your way around the furniture carefully so as to not bang your shins or ankles.

I cannot find any stationary or postcards in the book describing the Inn.

At night, I smash a spider by my bed, and another big crunchy bug by the nightstand.

Dinner - the food was very good.

Except that during the course of the meal, there were six stink bugs that I brought to my waiter's attention on the inside of the french door windows. Ick. Gross.
And to be told "well, we're in the countryside" as though that makes it okay or understandable?

No, it's not okay. I've been in luxury boutique properties in ranches in Santa Barbara, CA., the mountains of Colorado and Idaho, and in the lowcountry of South Carolina without any bugs in the dining room or bedrooms.

For $600 per night before tax, was it worth staying here? If there hadn't been all of those various creepy-crawlies, I'd have said yes. But there WERE there, and that makes me say no.

Oh, and the basement room in one of the buildings is one that they never rent out - because it is supposed to be haunted. Another ick.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled solo
9  Thank CinderellaDearest
JamesRBluntJr, Guest Relations Manager at Goodstone Inn & Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded April 29, 2011

“We’d like to express our gratitude to the writer for her numerous compliments about the inn and our restaurant. Stinkbugs (an inadvertent import to the US from Asia 10 years ago with no natural predators) are primarily a Mid-Atlantic regional phenomenon. The reviewer was here at a time when suddenly warmer temperatures were causing the insects (harmless to humans) to become more active and, also, when we were just in the early stage of implementing a comprehensive, 6-point program to combat the stinkbug problem on the estate. At this point in time we have completed the program and are happy to report that the situation is now under control. James Blunt, Guest Services Manager”

Reviewed April 12, 2011

Tranquil setting , with beautiful accomodations! Exceptional staff , at all levels . Special kudos to chef , Willaim Waldon ( food was extraordinary ! ) , and server , Ken ( attentive , helpful ) ; most especial kudos to James Blunt ( Guest Services Manager ) who was always present , offering suggestions on enjoying the property , and its ammenities !

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 11, 2011

I lived in Middleburg for 10 years. Staying at the Goodstone was like going home with "whipped cream and a cherry on top!" While we had dinner plans, the breakfast was incredible. I had an elegant, thin omelet brimming with flavorful mushrooms and gruyere. My beau said his "eggs bennie" were the best ever. The setting is beautiful and private and the management is both warm and respectful of one's privacy. We can't wait to go back!

Thanks. Leslie and Robert

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
JamesRBluntJr, Guest Relations Manager at Goodstone Inn & Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded April 12, 2011

Thanks very much for your flattering review. We do get lots of compliments on the chef''s Eggs Benedict. The Goodstone Inn & Estate's resident hens produce several dozen freshly laid eggs each day which we collect and then use in the kitchen to create transcendent, farm-to-fork culinary experiences. We look forward to your return visit in the near future. Very truly yours, James Blunt, Guest Services Manager

Reviewed April 10, 2011

We just got back from a Wonderful weekend at Goodstone! It is truly a hidden gem! We loved the privacy and seclusion of being in the country. It was so peaceful and relaxing. Everything is top notch, the cottages are beautiful, the cuisine is delicious, and the property is gorgeous! We loved relaxing in the hammock and highly recommend the picnic! We will definitely be back soon!!

• Stayed: April 2011