New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Ranked #2 of 27 things to do in Middleburg
Vienna, Virginia
“Bluegrass "Festival"”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2013

For our anniversary weekend my significant other and I planned a trip to visits some vineyards in the area. Originally we were just going to go for a tasting but found out there was a Bluegrass Festival at Chrysalis Vineyards so we decided to give it a try. We've been to several wineries and even another wine festival in the Northern Virginia area so we thought it would be the same. We were wrong.

We started the experience off at the main sign in area where it took a staff member a long time (at least a minute) to review my license. While she was "reviewing" it she mentioned that I was a year younger than she was...so she couldn't figure out if I was old enough to enter. Apparently 25-1=24 is like calculus for some people. Yes, I'm 24 and younger than most but as most young professionals in the area I expect some respect when I go out. I do not want to be treated as a teenager. We also experienced horrible service and attitude in the "tasting room" when we entered. We chose not to buy anything from the vineyard based on the service we received.

When we finally made it into the tent for the wine tasting the wine itself was ok. We really only enjoyed one wine out of the 12 we were given. The other wines were either to sweet or chalky for our taste. As for the festival part we found that there were about 10 vendors located on the property, however, nothing really interested us. The whole experience was hardly worth $20. We drove an hour to get there and stayed for an hour and left for home. I don't think we will return. There are plenty of other wineries in the area that appreciate their customers.
It seems that you need to be a VIP customer before you receive any respect.

Visited October 2013

Northern Virginia, Virginia
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Great Winery”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2013

This is a delightful winery. Jenni and her team have done a wonderful job on creating very enjoyable wines in a friendly and beautiful atmosphere. This is the absolute must stop to learn about the Norton, the grape that was first created in Virginia. I have visited this winery many times (and have visited 49 VA wineries in all) and this one ranks in the top 5.

Bring a basket or buy food on the property and sit and enjoy their wine for a wonderful afternoon.

Vonore, Tennessee
47 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 69 helpful votes
“Great Day for VA Wine”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

We have been going to Chrysalis for many years (along with many other VA wineries) and have never had a bad day. For full disclosure, we are former VA residents that have moved to TN and are members of the Chrysalis VIP Club because we miss the great wine and can get a couple of bottles each month to satisfy our VA wine jones.

The staff is always friendly and knowledgable of the wines they have. We have been to other wineries where we would ask questions about blends and processes and were told those facts were "wine maker proprietary". Always makes me suspicious. That does not happen at Chrysalis and, in fact, they have a book available to the tasting servers in case a questions comes up they do not know the answer to.

Our latest experience was a welcome back for us. In TN, we do not have lot of winery choices so we looked forward to our trip back to VA to stock up on good wines. We firmly believe that wine is a personal choice and I would never tell someone their wine opinion is wrong. However, by all wine expert rankings, VA is now one of the best wine making states in the US and, in our opinion, Chrysalis is one of the best wineries in VA. Their recent Albarino is fantastic, the oaked Chardonnay is crisp and smooth, and the reds are, as a group, one of their best years in a while. I would highly recommend the Norton wines but I'm partial to that particular varietal.

In addition to the wines, Chrysalis has a beautiful location. Yes, they are set back on a gravel road the is about a lane and a half wide, hilly, and can be fairly rough but the views are wonderful and provide a really nice way to enjoy a glass (or bottle) of wine. I have read many other reviews and agree that everything here is not perfect but the positives highly out-weigh the negatives. The family area is a great idea. We do not have children and would prefer that they be left at home. However, we also appreciate the fact that when parents make the choice to bring them, most are not running wild among the entire grounds because they have a fenced area of their own. The bathrooms (actually porta-potties) could definitely use an upgrade. It was fine when they were small and developing but they need to invest in a better set-up at this point. The grill and pavilion are a great place for a gathering with the large gas grill and many tables for folks to gather and eat. Many times the owner and/or wine-maker are wandering the tasting room or the grounds and enjoy stopping and talking with the guests about the wine, the winery, and their plans for the future.

Overall, this is a wonderful place with great wines and we would highly recommend visiting for an hour or the day. We have never talked with anyone there that did not enjoy the time spent - and we have enjoyed each and every visit.

1 Thank Jan L
Washington DC, District of Columbia
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 41 helpful votes
“2 out of 3 Times Great!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2013

Chrysalis is one of my favorite wineries in VA so I take friends often for their first visits to the wineries. In the past I have had a couple unorganized or rushed experiences where the staff have been a bit dismissive but the other times it has been great. This winery is a good one to start your day but they also are the ones who stay open later than the other wineries. The staff really explain the wines carefully and in an organized manner typically. They have great wines...Nortons mostly. The down side is it is outside so on a hot day like this weekend was you will melt. It is a nice place to bring a picnic unlike other wineries who don't allow this. They also have a children area so you can avoid being bothered by kids running around...they separate you up...its fabulous...except the parents who don't care and let their kid leave the area. Beautiful scenery and you can walk around. They have good prices and a good amount of wines in their tasting choices. Chrysalis needs to invest in bathrooms. The portapotty idea is quite gross for a winery as large as they are. It is a bit of a turn off and my friend wanted to wait and use the facilities at the next winery we went to....which is why I always start there and never end there with a nice glass of wine and some cheese...because I would rather go to the next place and use a real bathroom! However, overall this is a favorite when they are having a smooth running day and this weekend they put the other wineries to shame in their wonderful service. The better the tasting the more wine you will sell.

Virginia
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Decent wine, good staff... but porta-potties?”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2013

A gravel road to get there is part of the charm. The wines were decent, some better than others. Pete was our tasting guide, and was informative and very personable, made it a good time. The scenery is pretty. So why only two stars? When my wife asked to use the restroom, she was directed down a flight of stairs outside, and then around to the right toward the barns, only to find a stand of three porta-potties!!! Are you kidding me? After taking time to point out the 11,000 sq. ft. home of the owner, a former Silicon Valley billionaire, who lives onsite, you don't have the funds to put in real bathrooms for your customers? A bar would be out of business if they didn't have restroom facilities. Very disappointing.

Visited June 2013