WINNER WONDERLAND
Win Big When You Book on TripAdvisor

“Another wonderful stay” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Welbourne

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Middleburg
Welbourne
Ranked #6 of 8 Middleburg B&B and Inns
Fairview PA
“Another wonderful stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2007

We have been enjoying the Welbourne Bed and Breakfast for ten years so far. It is in the middle of 'Horse Country', and there's no reason you shouldn't be able to relax there. The town of Middleburg is charming, and the area restaurants are all good. If you like wine tasting there are plenty of wineries to choose from. Another winning vacation!

Stayed April 2007
3 Thank cyclingtroll

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Falls Church, VA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2007

We have been coming to Welbourne almost every year on our anniversary for the past 25 years -- in fact we spent the first 2 nights of our honeymoon there 25 years ago. We just got back from our 25th anniversary trip. Still just as wonderful and romantic as ever. We are aware that its "faded elegance" is not everyone's cup of tea, but for us, it is just so wonderfully comfortable and nice to be out in the countryside, away from cellphones, the internet and all the other trappings of a modern urban lifestyle. The best thing about Welbourne is the most wonderful breakfast anywhere in the world. Scrambled eggs, bacon, grits, fried tomatoes, and homemade biscuits!!!! The Morisons, the proprietors, are among the finest people anywhere on earth. We hope to keep going back there for at least the next 25 years!

Stayed April 2007
3 Thank bcackler
Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2006

I have just read the other reviews and agree with them wholeheartedly. I, too, have come to this property since I was young, every few years over the past 25 years (introduced to the home by my father). The hotel holds a special place in my heart - the beauty of that region of Virginia, the southern hospitality that overflows from the owner, his family and his staff. You could swear the house is still haunted by the families who have lived there and the History the house has seen (it is pre-Revolutionary, I believe). I cannot recommend this B&B Enough - best apple butter I've Ever had, friendly horses & dogs, nearby antiquing, and, most of all, peace, natural beauty, and ambiance to satisfy the most discerning tastes. Please note, this is Not a five star hotel, but it holds the charm of a B&B that is exactly Not a 5 star; a wonderful, old, established B&B.

• Liked — The beauty of the region, the history of/at the property.
  • Disliked — Far from things to do if you start to get bored.
  • Tips/Secrets — Find out what events - Jazz, equestrian - and restaurants you can go to.
  • Stayed May 2002, traveled with family
      Location
      Check in / front desk
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
2 Thank ARC0075
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2004

The first time I stayed at Welbourne, I arrived late... nearly midnight. The overhanging branches on the graveled "sunken road" that is Welbourne Farm Road offered a sinister welcome; the first thing I heard upon alighting from my car was a soft whicker of horsey welcome -- coming from somewhere I couldn't see. I walked up onto the dark porch, narrowly missing one of several black-and-tan hounds who were sleeping soundly there, and opened the old wooden screen door -- and stepped back into history. I've been there probably half a dozen times since, and every time I go anywhere else in or around Middleburg I'm disappointed that it's not Welbourne. I've stood on the bridge at the bottom of the property, gazed into Goose Creek and fought with valiant young soldiers in a bitter war ... I've walked the acres behind the ruined barn and fed carrots to the retired horses who roam the acreage... I've lain in big beds in drafty rooms and waited for the ghosts of Gallant Pelham and John Mosby to come visiting ... I've enjoyed the Morisons' friendly hospitality and the wonderful breakfasts dished up by the staff. Every time, it refreshes my soul. Just thinking about it now, I want to go back!

10 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2004

Spent the majority of my life in the hotel/restaurant business both domestically and internationally - been staying at Welbourne for 35 maybe 40 years - still in the same family - no televisions in the rooms - I tell no one where I am, just want to escape from the public - great fireplaces, good restaurants nearby (have reviewed some for United and American Airline magazines) - love the annually Goose Creek Jass and Ragtime party (the first Monday after Labor Day every year) and the Middleburg Stickball League (Sundays) - this is peaceful escapism......good for the soul!

5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2004

My husband and I have been going to Welbourne for many years. I think of it as my "other" home. We have stayed in just about all of the rooms in the main house and one of the outbuldings, too. We have been there in all of the seasons, even the hottest of hot summers, and always enjoy our stay. The Morison's, 8th generation owners and innkeepers, make one feel at home the moment one arrives. They are so helpful when you want to travel around the countryside, and tell you the best places to see and how to get there. The delicious full breakfasts each morning are exquisitely served on silver platters and the fried tomatoes are out of this world! The scenery around Welbourne and Welbourne itself will take you away to a gentile time when there was more time to enjoy the surroundings. Each time we leave, we feel we are leaving our family. We have never stayed anywhere else in that part of Virginia.

• Stayed January 2004
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2003

While staying at Welbourne, you may forget the 21st century and begin to think you've been transported back in
time. This is a truly authentic experience! Welbourne may be a bit run down at the edges, but your hosts, the Morisons (8th generation in an unbroken line of decendants of the original owners to own Welbourne) couldn't be more down to earth and welcoming. We slept in the room where F. Scott Fitzgerald stayed.
Many illuminaries have visited this mansion, the oldest part of which dates to the mid-18th century. The house is surrounded by hundreds of acres of farmland, which is home to more than 80 horses boarded at Welbourne stables. Enjoy a renewing walk around the farm and explore the remnants past generations have left behind. You'll be joined by one of the many canine residents of Welbourne on your outdoor adventure!

10 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Middleburg
Airlie
#1 of 1 in Paris
Inn at Evergreen
Inn at Evergreen
#1 of 1 in Haymarket

Been to Welbourne? Share your experiences!