“Delicious”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The French Hound - CLOSED

The French Hound
Cuisines: French, European
Good for: Families with children, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Brunch, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Federal Street
Ont. Canada
“Delicious”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2012

We loved our meal at the French Hound. I had the escargot as an appitizer which was fantastic ,it came with a generous amount of French bread to mop us the delicious garlic seasoned butter. My husband had the soup of the day which was a delicious vegetable with duck confit..
The mains were rack of lamb and steak and frites, bothe were done to perfection. We were too full for dessert.
We had a very nice evening,I thoroughly enjoyed this little French bistro.

Visited April 2012
1 Thank melissaC2

Port Saint Lucie, Florida
“Dessert and Coffees - Yum!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2012

I've eaten here before and always enjoyed it for the menu choices, casual atmosphere and great service.

This time, I stopped in with a friend to satisfy a mid-afternoon sweet craving. Although we arrived after the posted lunch hours and before dinner, we were graciously seated and offered menus.

My friend ordered Profiteroles and received a large dish containing three servings! Maybe it would have been one serving if you were a NFL wide receiver, but this petite woman was floored. Way more than she expected or wanted. We dove in happily with our spoons and mentioned to the waitress we were surprised how huge this was, she said it is their most popular shared dessert. Hmmm... might want to mention that on the menu. I ordered flourless chocolate cake with raspberry coulis. Both desserts were outstanding. As were our espresso and cappucino. The waitress was friendly and attentive.

I agree with other reviewers that the physical charms of the building are lacking, and that the location and pricing probably deserve a more 'open' and alluring environment.

• Visited April 2012
Virginia
“Improve the atmosphere + lower prices = a very good restaurant.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2012

The French Hound has potential. It resides in a converted home in the heart of historic Middleburg. Aside from the one booth table, the atmosphere leaves you cold, bored and feeling rather "exposed". The menu is brief but the food is good. Prices, however, are about 30% too high. Despite the tasty food and good service, the uninspired atmosphere and high prices put this restaurant low on my list when choosing dining options in Middleburg.

• Visited February 2012
Nokesville, Virginia
“average meal”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 8, 2012

The wife and I had lunch there. Service was outstanding. Food was nothing special. We had a restaurant.com coupon thats why we eat there. Food was a little over priced. Bowl of soup was lukewarm @ $8.50. Entrees were ok, dessert was bland and not much flavor, we had the apple tart w/ice cream. Coffee was good and hot. For the price I don't think it was worth it. We had 1 soda, 2 soups,entree each, shared dessert and coffee each for $65. Its a good thing we had a $25 off coupon. I think thats a tad pricey for a lunch. The restaurant was quaint, clean, bathrooms smelled very fresh.

• Visited February 2012
2 Thank kwebb1
Arlington, Virginia
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Charming, unpretentious yet up-scale dining with creatively prepared dishes.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2012

Though the menu is heavy on meat and fish, this vegetarian and pescatarian (wife) left completely satisfied. Had an excellent cauliflower puréed soup drizzled with olive oil for an app, followed by an off-the-menu vegetarian dish (specially created at my request) consisting of potato risotto with peas stacked with sautéed spinach and oyster mushrooms. It was really delicious, and my wife actually preferred it to her swordfish. Closed out the meal with a mouth-watering flour-less chocolate torte--definitely worth it for the flavor, though sharing was tough because it was so dang good. Service was attentive from the waitress to bussers and (I think) one of the owners popping by to ask how the meal was.

1 Thank clamsplat98