“great lunch”

Red Fox Inn & Tavern
Reserve with OpenTable
Red Fox Inn & Tavern is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 21 Restaurants in Middleburg
Cuisines: American, Bar, Pub
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Romantic, Special occasions, Bar scene, Families with children
Dining options: Brunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Madison
Description: Located in the quaint village of Middleburg and inspired by four centuries of Virginia Hunt Country tradition, the Red Fox embodies the Piedmont’s cultural heritage. Established in 1728, our four story fieldstone Inn and Tavern boasts hand-hewn ceiling beams, heart pine floors and paneling, working fireplaces, and walls adorned with sporting art. Join us in the heart of Virginia’s famed Hunt and Wine Country to enjoy a hearty meal in our tavern followed by a relaxing evening in one of our cozy guest rooms.
McLean, Virginia
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“great lunch”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2014

Cobb salad and cheesesteak sandwich were yummy. Friendly staff. Small and cozy atmosphere. We would go back

Visited August 2014
1 Thank B M

Washington, DC
“Nice ambiance, mediocre food”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2014 via mobile

We had lunch at the tavern today. We waited a number of minutes before we were seated. The food took about 45 minutes to be served. I had the bacon lettuce avocado and tomato sandwich with sweet potato fries and my boyfriend had the club sandwich. The food was mediocre at best. Then we split the wedge salad. I wouldn't eat there again. $50 down the drain!!!

1 Thank mango_eater
Triangle, Virginia
“Great atmosphere, very good food...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2014

My wife and I had a very good lunch here yesterday. I had the fried chicken and a salad. Both were very good. She had the BLAT (BLT with avocado), and really enjoyed it. The restaurant is in the cellar of a colonial building, and it has that feel. Very cool.

• Visited August 2014
Boston, Massachusetts
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Interesting Menu”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2014

Historic Inn and Restaurant. Great brunch with eclectic menu. Great crab cakes, trout and on letters. Stay away from the peanut soup though....

• Visited August 2014
Haymarket, Virginia
“Ambience but Horrible Food”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2014

My husband and I along with friends had dinner at the Red Fox Inn over the weekend. It was our first experience. The Town of Middleburg is quaint and fun to visit and the restaurant is in a historic building with lots of character. The seating is crowded, very crowded, and the chairs are not comfortable if you plan to have a nice leisurely dinner. I ordered the bone-in rib eye. My first disappointment was that they do not offer organic meats and the fish is all farm raised. When asked about organic meats, they responded, "no, but all our meat is quality meat". A rather ambiguous response. I order the bone-in rib eye for $36 which includes NOTHING but the steak. With that, I ordered the spinach, zucchini and squash gratin, $5. For a before dinner cocktail I had a dirty martini (Grey Goose). The martini was all olive juice; no vodka. I left it on the table. The steak which I ordered medium was served rare, very rare, and it was served over the spinach gratin with a big chunk of seasoned butter on top. Ugh. Greasy. Why would you put butter on top of a piece of rib eye? I had to send the steak back to have it properly cooked. When it arrived the second time, the couple pieces I had initially cut off were on the plate - well done to say the least. The spinach gratin was a greasy mess. The appearance was slimy. The "quality" meat tasted rancid/old. I tried two pieces and I was actually afraid to eat anymore. I did not want to say anything to upset our friends because they had recommended the restaurant. I ended up covering my plate with my napkin but that was not only to keep the attention away from my food but to keep the flies off of it! We were battling flies the entire evening. My husband had the rack of lamb, $32 and white truffle fries, $5. The menu states "14 ounces" of lamb. When served they looked like lamb lollipop appetizers. My husband's description of the lamb was "it's o.k.". The staff were terrific. They were attentive and the waitress apologized for my steak. She reduced our bill $10 and gave me the left overs! I didn't say anything I just deposited it in a trash can as we left the restaurant. Needless to say, we won't go back again.

RedFoxManager, Manager at Red Fox Inn & Tavern, responded to this review, August 13, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post on TripAdvisor. As a third generation family owned and operated business, your satisfaction is extremely important to us and your feedback is valued. We appreciate you sharing your comments and concerns from your recent visit. We are passionate about hospitality and service, and strive to exceed our guests' expectations. We have shared your comments with our staff and management team, so that we can learn from them and improve upon each. We are sorry you felt the rib-eye was not a quality cut of meat and were unsatisfied with the meal. We would have been happy to provide you with a different entree if this had been brought to our attention during dinner. We do appreciate your kind comments about our staff. Again, we appreciate your feedback and hope to see you again in the near future.

Best Wishes,