“Charming in a town without a lot of competition”

The Red Fox Inn & Tavern
Reserve with OpenTable
The Red Fox Inn & Tavern is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 23 Restaurants in Middleburg
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Private Dining, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Madison
Description: Located in the quaint village of Middleburg and inspired by four centuries of Virginia Hunt Country tradition, the Red Fox embodies the Piedmont’s cultural heritage. Established in 1728, our four story fieldstone Inn and Tavern boasts hand-hewn ceiling beams, heart pine floors and paneling, working fireplaces, and walls adorned with sporting art. Join us in the heart of Virginia’s famed Hunt and Wine Country to enjoy a hearty meal in our tavern followed by a relaxing evening in one of our cozy guest rooms.
Reviewed March 17, 2013

This is a fantastic restaurant topped by an historic inn. Because of its age, the rooms are quite eccentric. The floors are creaky and very un level. The beds are good and the room is generally clean. The staff is mostly attentive. O had to remind myself that I was in a small town staying in an old inn and shouldn't expect the snap of the Ritz Carlton

1  Thank Mitch R
There are newer reviews for The Red Fox Inn & Tavern

Reviewed February 25, 2013

We have eaten here several times when in Virginia visiting relatives. If you are in the area and want a great, relaxed meal in a beautiful setting, this is the place. Our servers are always very nice and, as some of us have dietary issues, they go out of their way to be sure our food is just as needed. Everything we have tried (which is quite a bit of their menu items!) have been delicious and perfectly prepared. If you are a bacon lover, you must try theirs. It's awesome!!

Reviewed February 17, 2013

I love this restaurant in this beautiful little town. Even the drive from DC is beautiful through gorgeous horse country. My husband and I always looked forward to visiting this place. It's very cosy though not claustrophobic, and the peanut soup is excellent. It's so nice to be able to have a "favorite" place to stop while wandering the antique shops and pretty streets of Middleburg.

Reviewed February 17, 2013 via mobile

Loved the atmosphere. The thought of eating in a place so steeped in history drew me in. We were here for Sunday brunch. I had smoked salmon Caesar salad and a crab & artichoke omelet. The salad was fresh and delicious, and the omelet was overstuffed with crab meat and artichokes! My husband had the duck spring roll and the egg & bacon burger. Again everything was cooked very well, and was very delicious. A little bit on the expensive side, but totally worth it!

Reviewed February 17, 2013

Of course, most of the other reviews mention the atmosphere or ambiance, and the Red Fox Inn certainly delivers on that. A beautiful, rustic country inn ambiance, with beamed ceilings and working fireplace, etc, create a cozy but elegant feel.

On our visit, the food was largely very good, but a couple of items were better than others. They were only serving their Valentine's (served the entire week, apparently) prix fixe menu, so options were limited, but we were, nonetheless happy with the food. Meats were of high quality and prepared to order, but lacked the "sizzle" that would have resulted in an excellent rating in the food category. Sides and appetizers were delicious and desserts were very good - the cherry crepes were top-notch. Servings were very generous, and being accustomed to DC prices, this meal seemed very reasonably-priced.

Service was very friendly, but a bit slow. Not enough to really complain a lot about it, but just enough to notice. There were a couple of noticeable delays between courses, so I think the delay was likely in the kitchen, rather than with our server. Our server was so friendly and nice, I hate to say anything at all about it, and I've already said more about it than the subject deserves, so I'll stop now.