New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

“Locan Tradition” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Red Fox Inn & Tavern

Red Fox Inn & Tavern
Reserve with OpenTable
Red Fox Inn & Tavern is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 20 Restaurants in Middleburg
Cuisines: American, Bar, Pub
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Families with children, Bar scene, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Brunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Madison
Description: Located in the quaint village of Middleburg and inspired by four centuries of Virginia Hunt Country tradition, the Red Fox embodies the Piedmont’s cultural heritage. Established in 1728, our four story fieldstone Inn and Tavern boasts hand-hewn ceiling beams, heart pine floors and paneling, working fireplaces, and walls adorned with sporting art. Join us in the heart of Virginia’s famed Hunt and Wine Country to enjoy a hearty meal in our tavern followed by a relaxing evening in one of our cozy guest rooms.
Oxford, Maryland
“Locan Tradition”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

This place is old, cozy, warm, and inviting. You feel like you're in a an old stone pub in England or Ireland, and that's because it was probably built by the same people who built them over there! This is one of then oldest continually operating pubs/Inns in the country and it reeks with authentic old-world simple charm--the kind that just cannot be reproduced no matter how much money you spend. The service is good and the people are friendly. The french fries were terrific, as was much of the food. I have eaten there a few times and I have found there are some inconsistencies. Some meals were much better than others. Make sure you ask the waitron to recommend something that is well liked and you'll have a great experience.

Sterling, Virginia
“Good food and great atmosphere!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

Co-workers and I had our holiday breakfast at the Inn. It was a very cool historic building and the food was good. The service was excellent and our waitress was very attentive and accommodating with our requests. It was a good way to start a day of Christmas shopping in downtown Middleburg.

• 3 of 5 stars
Northern Virginia, Virginia
“A taste of Williamsburg in northern Virginia”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

On our way to a Christmas tree farm, we (husband and I) stopped in for a late Saturday lunch without reservations. Instead of being turned away from the full restaurant to find our luck elsewhere, we were given a reservation for 30 minutes later at 2:45 PM, just 15 minutes shy of their lunch closing time. We didn't regret the wait. We were seated upstairs in a room reminiscent of an historic Williamsburg tavern, and served by an unpretentious and friendly waitress. My crab cake was about as good as I've ever eaten (focus on fresh crab not the "cake") and Caesar salad accompaniment was crisp and traditionally made. Tasty! We really enjoyed sitting by the fireplace- very cozy atmosphere.
The only misstep was the entrance and greeting spot- it's a bit like musical chairs with servers laden with serving platters and hostesses with menus excusing themselves as they make a continuous divide through the guests standing in the entry hall.For a restaurant that's been operating for so many years, one would think they'd have a better logistics plan. But no matter- we'll be back for the great food and dining atmosphere.

Richmond, Virginia
“Great Venue with Tons of Atmosphere”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

The menu was extensive for lunch...the crabcake was very tasty, and the sweet potato fries were also top notch! The peanut soup did not have much flavor this time....I will try again next trip! Great place for a business lunch and lots of shops to browse and walk off the lunch! I recommend this restaurant when you are in Middleburg. There are rooms available at the Inn. I have never stayed overnight, but think it would be a treat to do so!

Havre de Grace, Maryland
“Great tavern atmosphere, delicious food, would go again when in town”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

This was my first time to Middleburg VA and to the Red Fox Inn. I was in the area for the annual Christmas parade in Middleburg and was glad I made a reservation well in advance because the town was packed that day! I was hoping to sit by the fireplace but instead I was seated near it so I guess that was O.K. because as I said it was a busy/busy day. The atmosphere was wonderful, old tavern/dark wood/stone fireplaces. The food was very good but on the pricy side. My husband had the Virginia peanut soup, it was delicious, along with the pork loin and I had the red snapper (fish of the day), also wondeful. I also had a gin & tonic made with the local Catoctin creek wastershed gin, it was really good! Next time I am in the area, I am going to buy a bottle!! When in the area, I would go back to the Red Fox Inn, just such a nice place to eat and enjoy, especially at Christmas.

• 3 of 5 stars