“A taste of Williamsburg in northern Virginia”

The Red Fox Inn & Tavern
Reserve with OpenTable
The Red Fox Inn & Tavern is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 24 Restaurants in Middleburg
Cuisines: American
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Private Dining, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Madison
Description: Located in the quaint village of Middleburg and inspired by four centuries of Virginia Hunt Country tradition, the Red Fox embodies the Piedmont’s cultural heritage. Established in 1728, our four story fieldstone Inn and Tavern boasts hand-hewn ceiling beams, heart pine floors and paneling, working fireplaces, and walls adorned with sporting art. Join us in the heart of Virginia’s famed Hunt and Wine Country to enjoy a hearty meal in our tavern followed by a relaxing evening in one of our cozy guest rooms.
Reviewed December 10, 2012

On our way to a Christmas tree farm, we (husband and I) stopped in for a late Saturday lunch without reservations. Instead of being turned away from the full restaurant to find our luck elsewhere, we were given a reservation for 30 minutes later at 2:45 PM, just 15 minutes shy of their lunch closing time. We didn't regret the wait. We were seated upstairs in a room reminiscent of an historic Williamsburg tavern, and served by an unpretentious and friendly waitress. My crab cake was about as good as I've ever eaten (focus on fresh crab not the "cake") and Caesar salad accompaniment was crisp and traditionally made. Tasty! We really enjoyed sitting by the fireplace- very cozy atmosphere.
The only misstep was the entrance and greeting spot- it's a bit like musical chairs with servers laden with serving platters and hostesses with menus excusing themselves as they make a continuous divide through the guests standing in the entry hall.For a restaurant that's been operating for so many years, one would think they'd have a better logistics plan. But no matter- we'll be back for the great food and dining atmosphere.

Reviewed December 7, 2012

The menu was extensive for lunch...the crabcake was very tasty, and the sweet potato fries were also top notch! The peanut soup did not have much flavor this time....I will try again next trip! Great place for a business lunch and lots of shops to browse and walk off the lunch! I recommend this restaurant when you are in Middleburg. There are rooms available at the Inn. I have never stayed overnight, but think it would be a treat to do so!

Reviewed December 5, 2012

This was my first time to Middleburg VA and to the Red Fox Inn. I was in the area for the annual Christmas parade in Middleburg and was glad I made a reservation well in advance because the town was packed that day! I was hoping to sit by the fireplace but instead I was seated near it so I guess that was O.K. because as I said it was a busy/busy day. The atmosphere was wonderful, old tavern/dark wood/stone fireplaces. The food was very good but on the pricy side. My husband had the Virginia peanut soup, it was delicious, along with the pork loin and I had the red snapper (fish of the day), also wondeful. I also had a gin & tonic made with the local Catoctin creek wastershed gin, it was really good! Next time I am in the area, I am going to buy a bottle!! When in the area, I would go back to the Red Fox Inn, just such a nice place to eat and enjoy, especially at Christmas.

Reviewed November 28, 2012

It is warm inside & the decor is wonderful. The food was great and service fantastic. Sat by the fireplace and loved the coziness.

Reviewed November 16, 2012

I've been there often, but not recently and have always found the food and atmosphere to be very enjoyable and, since it is in the middle of Middleburg, it provides a good excuse to visit the wonderful shops there.